• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs

Thanks for the helpful opinions... so far.

I'm mostly looking for confirmation that someone with an appropriate level of service (say 15 years) can bypass BMQ/BMOQ to start at the level of taking BMOQ-L (aka CAP). Since this is the general consensus of most people, but wanted to know if anyone has recently gone through this experience. If full PLAR was not granted for BMQ/BMOQ, was partial credit given with the exception of any combat related modules.

I was advised the PLAR would be prepared for me by the OR, but I'm trying to be proactive to assist them with the process, since they have not processed this kind of sub-component transfer in a very long time.

rjm said:

I'm mostly looking for confirmation that someone with an appropriate level of service (say 15 years) .......

The amount of Service is not the factor.  What is important is how long ago that Regular or PRes Service was.  It used to be that five (5) years was the cut-off, and ten (10) years meant that you would have to redo all.  What the current policy is, will have to be for a current CFRG member to say.

rjm said:

I'm mostly looking for confirmation that someone with an appropriate level of service (say 15 years) can bypass BMQ/BMOQ to start at the level of taking BMOQ-L (aka CAP). Since this is the general consensus of most people, but wanted to know if anyone has recently gone through this experience. If full PLAR was not granted for BMQ/BMOQ, was partial credit given with the exception of any combat related modules.

I was advised the PLAR would be prepared for me by the OR, but I'm trying to be proactive to assist them with the process, since they have not processed this kind of sub-component transfer in a very long time.

BMQ and BMOQ quals are managed and governed by CDA.  I can't remember the exact order # off hand but something like 12/001 or 001/12 comes to mind.  There is a "table/matrix" which lists equivalancies for both BMQ and BMOQ.  It's fairly comprehensive and anything that falls outside the table, will require additional review (ie; PLARing).  Equivalencies are granted based on previous trg, so "time in" won't get you anything, that I know of.

Sub-Component transfers are tricky at best and not sure if they are sufficiently covered in MILPERSCOM Orders or not.  PM me and I will follow up with you next week.

Have you qualified on C7 and shot PWT1? Have you done the gas hut? CF field communications? Living and working as a dismounted section?

I would suggest that no amount of CIC experience is going to grant equivalencies that should be recognized as writing off some of these absolute fundamentals.

Time in means almost nothing. What have you *done* in that time, and as importantly, where is it formally recorded that you did so?

Hello. 

My PLAR process took appx. 4-5 months.  Apparently this is the usual amount of time it takes. 

I was speaking with my recruiters today, and they stated that there are "SOME POSITIONS STILL AVAILABLE" for the semiskilled MED-TECH trade.  As for when I will be merit listed or sworn in, "SOON" was the response. 

Personally, I will take the "some, and soon"!  It is one more step in the right direction. 

Hopefully you hear some good news as well.  Take care and have a great day!

Good afternoon.

A PLAR was submitted on my behalf on June 6th.  Can you tell me how long the process normally takes?  I am an older recruit and if it is going to drag on (I have read about some extremely lengthy processing times on here), I will change my application to RMS clerk.  I don't want to be sitting here a year from now, still working at job I dislike.

Thanks!

The Prior Learning Assessment Review (PLAR) is not conducted by recruiting centres/detachments and, as such, it would be inappropriate to speculate on what you may or may not be granted, or the time it will take to complete. Many factors play into the amount of time it can take to complete a PLAR, including the qualifications being sought.

I would advise against making occupation choices based on the amount of time it takes to complete a PLAR, or your discontent with your current job. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that you will be offered a job in any of your occupational choices.

Some of you wishing to join the Canadian Armed Forces, may have special skills or education that can be credited towards your training.  This is where one may need to have a Prior Learning Assessment Review (PLAR) done.  The amount of time that it will take to have a PLAR completed will depend on what Trade you are attempting to enroll in, and the skill sets and/or education you may have.  Everyone is an individual, with different skills and education, and therefore assessed on individual cases, so there is no set time for the completion of the PLAR.

Please Note:

Captain Mark said:
The Prior Learning Assessment Review (PLAR) is not conducted by recruiting centres/detachments and, as such, it would be inappropriate to speculate on what you may or may not be granted, or the time it will take to complete. Many factors play into the amount of time it can take to complete a PLAR, including the qualifications being sought.

I would advise against making occupation choices based on the amount of time it takes to complete a PLAR, or your discontent with your current job. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that you will be offered a job in any of your occupational choices.

Well called CFRC Edmonton this morning and found out that my PLAR and Security Check are both complete! Very exciting news now I am waiting to be merit listed hopefully aiming for the November Selection dates.

Today is a very good day :)

I would like to ask a recruiter what their experience with time frames on PLAR's have been? Mine is at 4 months and counting.  The RC called me a month ago to tell me they spoke to CFRG and it is complete but not yet entered in HRMS.  I know that every case is different but just wondering of recruiters experiences with them.  I have seen a few posts here where it has been said it takes 2-4 months? Is it just a matter of them having a stack of them to enter and just haven't gotten to mine yet?  Everything else is complete, medical, interview CFAT. My VFS is done and Med docs are at the RC so basically my enrolment is waiting on the PLAR. Any information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated. 
Thank You in advance.

Good day,

There is no guaranteed amount of time it takes to process an application in part or in whole. Maintain contact with your local recruiting center as to the status of your PLAR.

I released from the forces and have my application in because while civi side I realized the CF is the thing for me. I just have one question I am being told that a PLAR has to happen as part of  my verification of prior service now while I do understand that to some extent I'm applying for all CAF trades and coming from an ACISS background I don't see how courses would be transferable other than BMQ can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Ksiiqtaboo said:
I released from the forces and have my application in because while civi side I realized the CF is the thing for me. I just have one question I am being told that a PLAR has to happen as part of  my verification of prior service now while I do understand that to some extent I'm applying for all CAF trades and coming from an ACISS background I don't see how courses would be transferable other than BMQ can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance.

You need to be a tad bit more specific.  "I'm, applying for all CAF trades" , just doesn't help.  Oh and a "release date" also helps.

DAA said:
You need to be a tad bit more specific.  "I'm, applying for all CAF trades" , just doesn't help.

Sorry applying for Air weapons system tech, Aerospace Control Operator, Avionics system tech

Ksiiqtaboo said:
Sorry applying for Air weapons system tech, Aerospace Control Operator, Avionics system tech

Better.  Because you have prior service and obviously reached the OFP (ie; QL3) in your prior CF occupation, a PLAR is mandatory.  Only because your CFRC does not have the authority to grant you BMQ nor any other prior CF qualifications.  Whilst the PLAR is in progress, your application will not move forward until the PLAR results are completed.

Understood do you have an idea if it would be faster since the only course I have that is relevant is BMQ?

Ksiiqtaboo said:
Understood do you have an idea if it would be faster since the only course I have that is relevant is BMQ?

They look at all your courses, not just BMQ/BMQ-L.

Ksiiqtaboo said:

I have been waiting for almost 5 months for a PLAR.  I am going from one tech trade to another and there are a lot of exemptions in training. That being said, every case is different so maybe yours may go faster. But if you prepare to wait a while you won't be disappointed. Good luck!

Ksiiqtaboo said:

POET would transfer to AVS and probably allow you to skip Basic Electrical for AWS. Plus bmq, maybe end up with some credited for promotion. A plar is never going to hurt you.

Back