• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs

In addition to this 5-page PLAR FAQ mega-thread, see also,

Prior Learning Assessment Review - PLAR 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/115480.0

The Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) Process
http://army.ca/forums/threads/114639.0

Prior Learning assessment Review( PLAR )
http://army.ca/forums/threads/97818.0

Prior Learning Assessment (PLAR) Information
http://army.ca/forums/threads/89776.0

etc...

If I read them correctly, it will be a update to 1 PLAR (00129) to update completed training, and review of the other (00367) to see if anything changes with said training

Is it possible to do a PLAR as an NCM to receive equivalency for some Officer qualifications?

An example:  NCM has PLQ-L receives equivalency for BMOQ

Thanks.

jitterbug said:
Is it possible to do a PLAR as an NCM to receive equivalency for some Officer qualifications?

Thanks.
Short answer: yes. Just staff it through the chain.

You only get the officer equiv if you are now an officer. ie you wont be given the BMOQ course code if you are a Sgt.
If you just made the switch, the request goes through your CoC for the COs recomendation and then off to gagetown(i think) for approval

sidemount said:
You only get the officer equiv if you are now an officer. ie you wont be given the BMOQ course code if you are a Sgt.
If you just made the switch, the request goes through your CoC for the COs recomendation and then off to gagetown(i think) for approval
I didn't see that part. While you can have BMOQ as an ncm it is only if you held that Qual as an officer prior to relinquishing your commission or re-enlisting as an ncm.

You can get BMOQ plar'd if you have an open file for a commissioning program. Contact your PSO with your concern, or file case manager for CT.

I had the RegF BMOQ PLAR'd by CFLRS St. Jean as a PRes Master Seaman (with CFPLQ completed) to my MPRR 4 months prior to my CT/OT COS date (via Special Commissioning Plan).  I can't see why the same wouldn't apply for any of the other commissioning plans an NCM is eligible for.

donaldk said:
You can get BMOQ plar'd if you have an open file for a commissioning program. Contact your PSO with your concern, or file case manager for CT.

I had the RegF BMOQ PLAR'd by CFLRS St. Jean as a PRes Master Seaman (with CFPLQ completed) to my MPRR 4 months prior to my CT/OT COS date (via Special Commissioning Plan).  I can't see why the same wouldn't apply for any of the other commissioning plans an NCM is eligible for.
"

I'm awaiting a "good to go" message for Special Commissioning Plan so I was wondering if I should start the PLAR now or just wait till I get a positive response.  So yes I have an open file but I don't have a "yes" just yet.

Get it drafted, see if they did the PLAR for you already on your message. If they didn't, you can submit right away. They won't action it, if they don't know for sure if you're commissioning.

They should be doing the plar for bmoq on your message however if you are going for an occupation that needs BMOQ-L, if you have plq Land then you will need to do the plar. This is what I had to do last year. Very straight forward

Too SUMMERIZE your same question over the past seven months:

jitterbug said:
Looking for the doc that states you can get CAP training covered off if you have PLQ-Land.  I found this but it doesn't say anything about CAP.  If someone could post a link it would be most apprecitated as I have looked everywhere.
Note: Para 11 (b)  and Note 2

http://cda-acd.mil.ca/ops/equiv/doc/CDA%20BMOQ%20Equivalency%20Directive%2019%20May%2010.pdf

sidemount said:
CAO 24-20

Annex A is the form
Fill it out....add course report and mprr, to the CO for recommendation. Then it gets sent to CTC Gagetown for approval.

I just did the exact same thing.

Its not CAP anymore, its BMOQ-L (AIOX)

jitterbug said:

Thanks.

donaldk said:

PuckChaser said:
Get it drafted, see if they did the PLAR for you already on your message. If they didn't, you can submit right away. They won't action it, if they don't know for sure if you're commissioning.

sidemount said:
They should be doing the plar for bmoq on your message however if you are going for an occupation that needs BMOQ-L, if you have plq Land then you will need to do the plar. This is what I had to do last year. Very straight forward

George Wallace said:
Too SUMMERIZE your same question over the past seven months:

Actually no.  While related and similar I was asking a different and very specific question.

Asking if you can get something PLAR'd and asking if you can get something PLAR'd before you actually become an Officer are two different scenarios.

jitterbug said:

Actually no.  While related and similar I was asking a different and very specific question.

Asking if you can get something PLAR'd and asking if you can get something PLAR'd before you actually become an Officer are two different scenarios.

Actually you are not asking different, nor specific questions.  You are asking if you can have a Prior Learning Assessment done, which would apply to any aspect of your application.  It does not matter if it is for an NCM or an officer position.  You are trying to get 'credit' for any experience, education or training you have had towards a position, NCM or officer.  No need to think that there are any differences in what to expect from a PLAR; it will be the same process no matter what you are applying it to.

jitterbug said:
While related and similar I was asking a different and very specific question.

Perhaps "PLAR: Get Officer equivalencies as an NCM" will be merged with "Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs".
http://army.ca/forums/threads/42867.100.html
5 pages of related and similar and different and very specific PLAR questions.

See Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs at http://army.ca/forums/threads/42867.0.html as well for further information. I have not merged the two threads because this would end up somewhere in the middle of the combined thread.

So based on the DAOD linked above, and , I understand a PLAR is to be addressed to the IT&E MA (managing authority), through the chain of command.

Does MA refer to the MA of my trade, or MA of the OSS I want to PLAR?
How would I find out who is the MA of a given OSS?
Should an Army member, seeking to PLAR a non-army (joint?) qual, use the CDA process/form or the Army process/form?
(Do these questions even make sense?)

yes they make sense.

MA would be the new trade.  Infantry cannot complete a PLAR for a Bos'n.

The easy answer to the rest is go to your OR.  Most clks don't bite often although the navy ones may still have their ships knife handy if they were just recently landed.

CountDC said:
yes they make sense.

MA would be the new trade.  Infantry cannot complete a PLAR for a Bos'n.

The easy answer to the rest is go to your OR.  Most clks don't bite often although the navy ones may still have their ships knife handy if they were just recently landed.
Thanks for your answer. To clarify, I'm not trying to PLAR a different trade. Rather, I'm trying to PLAR a specialty (OSS) that is applicable to "any occupation". It's not an Army NQual so I can't tell who will finally have responsibility for assessing the PLAR.

If I understand you correctly, MA refers to the Managing Authority for a trade, not for an OSS. Point taken on clerks though. We get along quite well, I just like to do my research and get my ducks aligned before paying them a visit.

The MA for a qualification can be difficult to find if you can't track down the QS, which should say who that authority is. While the clerks may have the answer to the process, they would likely have to do the same amount of research as the individual asking the question. Depending on the qual you are trying to PLAR, you might want to contact the training establishment that normally provides the training that grants the qual to see who the MA is.

captloadie said:
The MA for a qualification can be difficult to find if you can't track down the QS, which should say who that authority is. While the clerks may have the answer to the process, they would likely have to do the same amount of research as the individual asking the question. Depending on the qual you are trying to PLAR, you might want to contact the training establishment that normally provides the training that grants the qual to see who the MA is.

In most cases and from what I have seen in the past, PLARs such as this, would be sent to the Standards Section of the Training School who is responsible for conducting the course/training qualification which is being sought for equivalency.

Back