• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

Ok I'm talking about a trade where the minority is part of a land unit and majority is in Ottawa.

And yet the vast majority of operational employment is tactical (land and sea) in nature.

Still done by that minority though, well the land one. Navy can be both but those navy personnel done the CF PLQ.

You're not tracking are you?
ARMY managed trades...there is a CANFORGEN that describes what they are. Look it up...consider it precessional development.

I've seen it. Maybe you should take a look at that CANFORGEN again and make sure that ALL army managed trades do PLQ-L because there are exceptions on there based on the uniform type for certain occupations. The way that it was done made no sense and still doesn't.

Check PM and understand what is being communicated to you.

I'll be doing my PLQ this summer and was hoping the Army.ca community would have some valuable advice, tips, reading recommendations, or training topics that would be wise for a Signaller (and the other trades outside the Combat Arms) to brush up on before course.

As always, thanks for the advice.

Thanks, Mike. I've read through that thread several times. It wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Neso said:
Thanks, Mike. I've read through that thread several times. It wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Have you already done Mod 1 (the distance learning package)? Mod 1 covers all of your theoretical stuff and book reading (regs, who can charge who, etc). The Army-wide PLQ is exactly that, so you won't be doing sigs-specific training any more than the course might rely on you for some advanced tips/tricks with the radios and comms equipment.

For all 4 Mods brush up on your references and pub searches; continue teaching/public speaking if you weren't already; get a basic fitness routine in place (expect round robin fitness routines with other candidates planning/leading the routine); and be prepared to be fed copious amounts of information with a firehose.

Depending on your course instructors, they might expect you (the course itself) to basically administer itself with their support/guidance, so be ready to do ADREPS, SITREPs, and brief higher commanders (e.g. a Colonel might fly in from Ottawa for a day and want your feedback on how the PLQ course is running. lol)

There's also a pre-course package to remind you of basic map and compass skills, calculating declination, calculating distances, helping coach new shooters, and so on.

How's that?

JS2218 said:
Have you already done Mod 1 (the distance learning package)? Mod 1 covers all of your theoretical stuff and book reading (regs, who can charge who, etc). The Army-wide PLQ is exactly that, so you won't be doing sigs-specific training any more than the course might rely on you for some advanced tips/tricks with the radios and comms equipment.

I have.

JS2218 said:
There's also a pre-course package to remind you of basic map and compass skills, calculating declination, calculating distances, helping coach new shooters, and so on.

This is news to me. Is it on the DWAN? If so, where?

JS2218 said:
How's that?

Excellent.  :)

Currently teaching drill, a skill class and knowledge class all fall under the same PO. What does that mean?  If you fail your first hard assess on drill you will go right to formal warning. If you pass your drill class retest and fail on your first skill class (or knowledge) you will go right to PRB (progress review board). If they don't give you another chance you're on your way home.

Find someone and practice teaching them drill, a skill class and knowledge class. Find a lesson plan on something and practice talking for 40 minutes straight.

Neso said:
I'll be doing my PLQ this summer and was hoping the Army.ca community would have some valuable advice, tips, reading recommendations, or training topics that would be wise for a Signaller (and the other trades outside the Combat Arms) to brush up on before course.

As always, thanks for the advice.

Do you know where you are doing the course? I was just Crse O for a PLQ-A at Leadership Company in Pet and let me tell you, it is not a walk in the park like it used to be.

ballz said:
Do you know where you are doing the course? I was just Crse O for a PLQ-A at Leadership Company in Pet and let me tell you, it is not a walk in the park like it used to be.
Was that course last Oct/Nov?

I was surprised (and impressed) at leadership coy's new attitude and no longer passing everyone who shows up like they did a couple years ago.

Jarnhamar said:
Was that course last Oct/Nov?

I was surprised (and impressed) at leadership coy's new attitude and no longer passing everyone who shows up like they did a couple years ago.

Yes, there was two PLQ-As at that time and one PLQ-Infantry, they were all tough... The new OC gives total support to the staff in failing someone if they believe the person is inadequate as a leader. It's just a shame that at the same time in Aldershot there was the same course being run but it was a gimme.

We didn't expect the same kind of recce patrols out of the clerks and musicians as we do out of the infanteers, but we did expect leadership. It was no cake-walk, and I was genuinely impressed by how many candidates we finished with. I thought half of them would have quit by the end of the FTXs, but they stuck it out and are better for having done so.

At the same time, its hard to keep the academic bar high when you are testing clerks / musicians / supply techs / veh techs etc on section attacks, recce patrols, defensive routine, etc, so IMO having the combat arms (less infantry) do the course with musicians (we had a musician who had never been in the field until this course... tough as nails obviously, or she would have never gotten through it) is a big mistake on the army's part.

ballz said:

Gagetown and looking forward to it! I'm trying to consume as much extra knowledge as I can beyond the Mod 1 beforehand. Any suggestions?

Neso said:
Gagetown and looking forward to it! I'm trying to consume as much extra knowledge as I can beyond the Mod 1 beforehand. Any suggestions?

Yes.

I told my candidates that there were three things that I wanted to them to achieve during the course.

1. Understand leadership and be able to lead.
2. Understand battle procedure and be able to produce an effective set of SMESC orders
3. Improve their basic fieldcraft / soldiering skills.

IMO if they go back to their unit having achieved all three, the green machine got its money's worth.

For a Cpl or A/ MCpl wanting to prepare for success, I would suggest showing up already having a good understanding of the 16 steps of battle procedure and how to produce a set of SMESC orders. You will be taught how to conduct a VCP, how to conduct a presence patrol, how to conduct a recce, how to conduct sensitive site security, etc... however, for all of those tasks you will need to conduct battle procedure, come up with a plan, and communicate that plan through a set of SMESC orders.

You will be taught the 16 steps of BP and how to write SMESC orders as well, but it is usually the hardest part for students to grasp and execute, largely because it needs a few practice runs to really "get it" and you don't get a whole lot of practice runs. If you have a firm grasp of the 16 steps of BP and SMESC orders, then leading a mission and conducting a task that is "outside" your normal scope of practice is going to be a lot easier.

This is a question for a co-worker.  In most if not all Log trades, mbr's are promoted to MCpl before taking their PLQ and need to get it within 2 years or tghey lose it.  If for some reason they don't get to take their PLQ due to medical reasons within 2 years would they still lose their leaf?

Being Acting Lacking for more than two years would trigger a review by DGMC. They would evaluate any medical issues and determine the appropriate course of action.

Back