• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

I am wondering if anyone knows out there could answer a question for me. I am on a PLQ Army course and we are finishing up MOD 4. Can someone get standards to review an assessment that resulted in a failure and the canadiate was not given an opportunity for a reassessment due to time constraints.

cbradley said:
I am wondering if anyone knows out there could answer a question for me. I am on a PLQ Army course and we are finishing up MOD 4. Can someone get standards to review an assessment that resulted in a failure and the canadiate was not given an opportunity for a reassessment due to time constraints.

If you are going to be a course failure due to that failed assessment, Standards will see the file and review it anyways.

You will also have a Performance Review Board (PRB) which is chaired by usually the CO of the training centre and he will review your file and you will be given a chance to express your feelings.

Maybe this can be merged with the mega-thread.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ formerly JLC/JNCO formerly CLC) Q&A
http://army.ca/forums/threads/18969.0

From what i understand from my course officer I'm being removed from course for medical reasons due to my chit being for a 24 hour period.

cbradley said:
From what i understand from my course officer I'm being removed from course for medical reasons due to my chit being for a 24 hour period.

If your chit prevents you from a re-assessment, then having standards look at it isn't going to help you. You're not going to pass if you don't pass all the PCs, if you can't get a reassessment due to a medical chit then you are a medical RTU, not a course failure and will have a chance to complete the course at a later date.

cbradley said:

There is a solid reason why we do this.

Just an example.  On a 5 day field exercise a student would pass their assessment on a Monday and then "get hurt" and pulled out of the field for the rest of the ex.  Obviously sometimes it's a legitimate injury but also sometimes (often in my opinion) they're faking an injury to avoid the field.

Now students that miss 24 hours of field time are removed from course.

Also if you fail a test and then fail the retest and you physically run out of time (mod is ending) for a PRB and re-retest then you're out of luck.

cbradley said:

Contrary to popular belief and what they might say, course staff do not have the ability to just remove students from a course for failure or really anything else either. There is a very detailed process that begins with Standards reviewing the details and providing recommendations and ends with the Cmdt of the school making the final decision on the student's fate. This ensures the student is treated fairly and any removal from course is air tight.

WRT your question on time constraints, most TPs have a para on retests, and most of them will say "if time permits". Even if you are down to the last minute of the last period in the course, there are options, including extending your stay to complete any retests or you waiving your right to the 24 hour period before your retest.

My point is, there are always options, and the removal of a student (unless there is no hope in hell of achieving a pass) should always be the last resort.

Thank you for all your input I know however have case to plea to my CoC to not have to start the course from the beginning again.

cbradley said:
Thank you for all your input I know however have case to plea to my CoC to not have to start the course from the beginning again.

Thats why we do mods, you'll start at the beginning of Mod 4 again.

My course report recommended I start at Mod 2 again although I passed everything up to the defensive in mod4

As a guy who attended "The Worst 3 1/2 Months of my Life, twice, I can empathize.  At least you don't go back to day 1, week 1 anymore.

PuckChaser said:
Thats why we do mods, you'll start at the beginning of Mod 4 again.
The OC of leadership Coy here in Pet explained to us last year that this is not the case anymore, that the mods are only there for reservists who cant get the time to do the course as a whole. Reg force memebers who do not finish the course for whatever reason have to start over. It has happened to a guy that works in my building....medically rtu in mod 4, had to start at the beginning of mod 2.

I have searched through the threads and haven't really found a concrete answer or reference. One was close and it was a link to a CANFORGEN which outlined the transition from PLQ-L to PLQ-A, though it did not reference the Infantry equiv.

I have spoken with many reps outside of many organizations and it seems there are still discrpencies, I also saw a power point outlying the new DP for the additional course, but it did not reflect or reference the prior qual.

So my question is..

Mod 6 Qualified MCpl's.... are they 100% qualified with no time limit to be a MCPL.
            Will those individuals ONLY need an ASA to be promoted to SGT, or will they eventually need the new ISCC (or what ever they will call the new section commander course)

MOD 4 Cpls.... Can unit CO's promote acting lacking to MCpl without ASA... if so, is there a 'time constraint' in which they must be qualified ASA?

I have seen units refuse to promote a Mod 4 Cpl because they believe that ASA is a hard prereq for a new to be MCpl, perhaps they are ill informed?
I have also seen units give promotions to Mod 4 Cpls without ASA.

I am mostly looking for something to reference.
If someone can answer this 100% with up to date references.. than by golly you are far better at searching through the dwan than I am and you get a gold star

Cheers.
Hopefully this will also help some of you new Cpl's Mcpl's have a better idea as to whats what

Poacher434 said:
            Will those individuals ONLY need an ASA to be promoted to SGT, or will they eventually need the new ISCC (or what ever they will call the new section commander course)

The course is called the Rifle Section Commanders Course (RSCC).  For your question about PLQ Infantry Cpls being appointed to MCpl, the intent was that they were to do the PLQ become a MCpl gain some experience then do the ASA.  That was the thinking, if that is what is happening I have no idea.

So once again there are rumours going around that support trades will be switching to PLQ Common. Some of personnel that are attending PLQ right now have said that their staff told them it is the last PLQ Land course being run for support trades. Does anyone know if that is the case?

They're removing Mod 4 (Old Mod 6 Pt 2), so no section attacks, defensive ops, or recce patrols.

Do you know when that is coming into effect? Fiscal year would make the most sense. That explains the low number of PLQ-L courses I've noticed scheduled for next fiscal year on the CTC calendar. If it's true then it would definitely clear the backlog that we got.

Back