• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

Tango18A said:
According to the O gp Wednesday, the TP is currently being redone with no new courses until Jan 12.

AFAIK eventhough a TP is being rewritten, courses would still be conducted using the current TP.....

Haggis said:
According to Annex A of CDA Directive 02/10, if a CF member completed PLQ or PLQ Land, the qualification is good for life.  Note this directive only applies to equivalencies.  If there is any question as to validity of individual mods, your unit should contact CDA at "CRCDA(at)forces.gc.ca" on the Internet or "(plus)CDA.PLAR-EEFA(at)CDA-ADC(at)Kingston" on the DWAN.

After reading the directive, and looking at annex A, it's still not too clear to me.

it does state that if you complete PLQ or PLQ(L) it's good for life, but does that mean each mod that is complete is good for life, or do you need the entire course complete to have this apply?

I took mods 1-5 back in late '06 - early '07, so I'm not sure how much has changed when it comes to TP's, so maybe that's where I am "required" to take it all over again, but I don't see how it could have changed too much since then.  Maybe if we're talking JLC / CLC to PLQ....

I am currently slated for distance learning from 07-21 Nov.  I would love to sort this out so I don't have to go through all that fun again.

Thanks for all the info so far.

The PLQ qualification is valid for life.  The PLQ qualification is granted on completion of all the modules of PLQ.  You therefore don't hold the PLQ qualification.

Ongoing validitity of pseudo-quals such as PLQ mods is a different question.

Here's a novel idea.  How about we dispense with the PLQ schmozzle, and come out with a whole new program.  It could be 6 weeks long, done all at once while on TD, and not have any mods.  We could call it the "Junior Leadership Course".  ;D

Occam said:
Here's a novel idea.  How about we dispense with the PLQ schmozzle, and come out with a whole new program.  It could be 6 weeks long, done all at once while on TD, and not have any mods.  We could call it the "Junior Leadership Course".  ;D

That is how I did my PLQ.  None of this DL stuff.  On TD at my home base, no less.  ::)

Of course, with the ILQ and ALQ now being called the ILP and ALP, I guess they're just attendance courses.......as opposed to a "qualification".

PMedMoe said:
Of course, with the ILQ and ALQ now being called the ILP and ALP, I guess they're just attendance courses.......as opposed to a "qualification".

Actually, no.

The names were changed to make the ILP and ALP (and SLP) more palatable to RMC and civilian colleges and universities for the purposes of equivalency granting towards diplomas (i.e Diploma in Military Arts and Sciences).  Those institutions were loathe to recognize "qualifications" but were accepting of recognizing "programs".  The course content didn't change - just the names.

Haggis said:
Actually, no.

The names were changed to make the ILP and ALP (and SLP) more palatable to RMC and civilian colleges and universities for the purposes of equivalency granting towards diplomas (i.e Diploma in Military Arts and Sciences).  Those institutions were loathe to recognize "qualifications" but were accepting of recognizing "programs".  The course content didn't change - just the names.

Darn!  ;)

PMedMoe said:
That is how I did my PLQ.  None of this DL stuff.  On TD at my home base, no less.  ::)

I know, that's how I did my PLQ JLC back in '93.  That's why I suggested it.  ;)

Now some keen officer is going to take my idea, implement it, and get an "O" in "Leading Change". 

As an instructor of PLQ course, I would love for them to scrap the DL and have the students show up and they learn everything at the school.  The majority of time we end up reteaching all the stuff they supposedly learned on the DL.  Talked to standards today and it is going to get real strange come 2012 as they transition to the new PLQ as they are moving stuff from one mod to another so some pers might show and and be taught stuff twice.  I am waiting to see the new TP when it is published on Documentium.

So now just thinking away.. what about the newer PLQ style? Most of it is at home learning. Personally I'm not impress with it. I did all my MOD's on base. Yes it was death by power point most days. But come on. Here, study this at home and become a MCpl?  :eek:rly:

Your thoughts?

Regards,
TN2IC

TN2IC said:
So now just thinking away.. what about the newer PLQ style? Most of it is at home learning. Personally I'm not impress with it. I did all my MOD's on base. Yes it was death by power point most days. But come on. Here, study this at home and become a MCpl?  :eek:rly:

Your thoughts?

Regards,
TN2IC

Let's keep this in the VR world and concentrate on simulation.

Stay on track please

Milnet.ca Staff

recceguy said:
Let's keep this in the VR world and concentrate on simulation.

Stay on track please

Milnet.ca Staff

Any chance you could possibly split the topic?  I think the above comment in regards to PLQ has merit as a discussion.

Thanks for considering.  :)

RDJP said:
Any chance you could possibly split the topic?  I think the above comment in regards to PLQ has merit as a discussion.

Thanks for considering.  :)

Not necessary.  There is a PLQ-related thread here with lots of discussion about DL (distance learning).

Regards,
G2G

I have been approached by my section commander to take my plq. I honestly don't feel ready. Now he keeps telling me that the unit needs Mclp and i owe it to the military to step up and take responsibliities. Just wondering how people felt about this topic, should you take plq because your ready or should you take it just because the unit needs you to. I' am a reservist if that helps.

Go on the course. You might just surprise yourself.

It is PLQ after all, not advanced rocket design.

Like CDN Aviator said, you might surprise yourself.

A big pet peeve if mine is soldiers like yourself going on PLQ before they are ready to be leaders.

The sad truth however is that the reserves will send anyone on PLQ.  The turn over rate is so high that they need to send anyone who is available in the hopes that they might keep a MCpl around for a few years.

You can either suck it up and go do your best or you can refuse to go and have the guy beside you who can't tie his boots right sent on course- which he will pass because everyone passes then he will go back to your unit and be your boss.

If your intimidated by the responsibility (which is natural) it will ALL go away the first time you  get orders by someone with the backbone of a gummy bear.

It is nice of your Section Comd to ask you, but remember this; it is not him/her who will put you on this course.  They will have some input in the selection process by submitting your name up the chain and recommending you be placed on a merit list.  In the end, after a Merit Board, the CO and Sgt Major will be the ones you put you onto a PLQ. 

I agree with the comments from CDN Aviator and Grimaldus.  Making a decision is a big part of leadership.  So often we see people in leadership or management posns who can not make decisions.  That leads to Epic Fails.

On my PLQ, I learned how not to be a leader.  Take it.  :nod:

PMedMoe said:
On my PLQ, I learned how not to be a leader.  Take it.  :nod:

Same here.....my staff where unprofessional Infanteers/Truckers/Armd Recce

Back