• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

LFAA TC is the Centre of Excellence for PLQ Infantry, for what it's worth.  In 2003, I was a course officer for a PLQ (Land), and then for the PLQ (Infantry) which followed.  I can say, with 100% certainty, that only Infantrymen were on that PLQ Infantry.  And on every PLQ Infantry that followed.  You don't have the pre-reqs to be on a PLQ Inf if you are not Infantry.

Now, they may have done a bit of a hybrid, in that you did the PLQ (Land) portion with the Infantry guys, because at one time, there was PLQ Land (Mod 6) done by all, followed by a 2 week module for the Infantrymen...

In the CTP for PLQ Infantry (Which is a pretty much though shalt type of document) it probably states that you must be INFMN.

If a non-infantry soldier was course loaded (Special Ops Assaulters that are from non-inf backgrounds I am sure are exempt or waivered) they could not be held accountable to the different PO checks.

Another thought, maybe non-infantry guys were thrown in with infantry but course reports and standard as per PLQ Land.

On my JNCO crse, at the end of the "common phase", combat arms guys were asked if we would want to do the field phase with the infantry, due to the fact that they didn't have enough bodies left to cover off all the positions in the field.  No extra cool qualification was offered, just "completed JNCO crse".

Check your course report and see exactly what qualification you got. That is the document to go by. Please tell me you saved a copy?

Long past the point of being important any more, the course was 20 years ago, and I've been retired since '03, but my UER update sheet just said "completed JNCO Crse".

Ok gents, we got a tasking for our lesson plan today. Were are to start looking for references and I thought why not dip into the wealth of knowledge that's here as well. My topic is "Road Blocks and Access Points" the only pub i could find on the din was atp 3.4.1.1......not a whole lot to go on. So i don't want to plagiarise so don't give an actual reference just a pub if you can think of one. Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a specific time frame that you have to be loaded on your residency portion of your PLQ after completing the distance learning portion? I understand the the CM has to load you. Will the distance learning expire after so long?
Thanks

DOes anyone know what PLQ land is looking like these days? I am to starts my mods 1-5 distance, and wondering what is happening with the field portion (length, difficulty, where upcoming courses are being held?).

rookieguide said:
DOes anyone know what PLQ land is looking like these days? I am to starts my mods 1-5 distance, and wondering what is happening with the field portion (length, difficulty, where upcoming courses are being held?).

There is no field portion on Mods 1-5, aside from the day on the range for Mod 3

AFAIK PLQ Mod 6 Land is 6 weeks(Thanks Sapper).  How difficult it will be depends on you(and other students) and how well you can grasp the knowledge/skills and apply them and your leadership ability.  Because you are doing 1-5 DL your first portion of the residency portion will be the practical and PO checks for Mods 1-5 then you will move into the Mod 6 portion.  Courses are run in Wainwright, Petawawa, Gagetown, Aldershot(?), Valcartier and Shilo - I only know Reservists who've done it in Shilo, no Reg Force.

I've only done my Mods 1-5, so my info on Mod 6 is just what I've read/heard.

Pretty sure theres a large thread on PLQ, might want too check it out.  Also talking to the other people in your unit who have PLQ would be a good way to find out what it's like, what to expect, etc.

When I did PLQ 4 or 5 years ago, MOD 6 was 6 weeks and split into 2 mods, with the last mod being the field portion.

-Skeletor- said:
AFAIK PLQ Mod 6 Land is still 1 month long.  How difficult it will be depends on you and how well you can grasp the knowledge/skills and apply them and your leadership ability. 

Courses are run in Wainwright, Petawawa, Gagetown, Aldershot and Valcartier.

Because you are doing 1-5 DL your first portion of the residency portion will be the practical and PO checks for Mods 1-5 then you will move into the Mod 6 portion.

Pretty sure theres a large thread on PLQ, might want too check it out.  Also talking to the other people in your unit who have PLQ would be a good way to find out what it's like, what to expect, etc.

Fixed that for ya ;)

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know where I can find the documentation stating there is a 1 year time frame to complete your mod 6 after completion of your mods 1-5, or else you will need to redo mods 1-5?

I did Mod's 1-5 then I went for knee surgery, i was then on t-cat, now I'm finally p-cat with MEL's, and I'm being sent back on mods 1-5 because "it's been longer than a year".

I have no desire to repeat 1-5 just for the sake of it.

any ideas???

Moose

Once you have your mods, they do not expire.  I did Mod 1 a year before I did my Mods 2-5.. when I showed up on course I gave them a print out of my MPRR that said I had Mod 1 and I got to skip that portion.  Do you have your course report from Mods 1-5 and/or does it show on your MPRR?  If so, show that to your CoC.

The only thing I've heard of close to this is that if you don't complete all the required mods for your trade (CFPLQ, PLQ-L or PLQ-Inf) after 2 years of being acting/lacking MCpl they can take your rank away.

As Skeletor said, if you've got a course report saying you've completed mods 1-5, you should be good to go. If you don't have paperwork to back yourself up though, the Big Green machine has another victim.

MPRR shows all mods and I have all my course reports.

I have hear this rumor in the past but never saw any references to it, and figured it was hearsay.

Ops WO says I need to redo them, and that he "checked into in" to see if I had to or not.

I need some reference in writing though to prove it to him, otherwise he wont believe me.

Moose

themoose said:
MPRR shows all mods and I have all my course reports.

I have hear this rumor in the past but never saw any references to it, and figured it was hearsay.

Ops WO says I need to redo them, and that he "checked into in" to see if I had to or not.

I need some reference in writing though to prove it to him, otherwise he wont believe me.

Moose

Better yet, have him produce the policy that says you lose it after a year. If he's recently checked on it, he should have it at his fingertips.

If he doesn't produce, but continues to insist, launch a Redress.

If you're Reserve, you should also ask to see your RSM, who acts as your career manager for your Unit NCMs.

Just throwing this out there:  If you haven't completed Mod 6 after quite a period of time since doing Mod 1 to 5, you may be in a situation where the Mods have been changed, and you no longer meet the required PO/EOs.  If the TP has been changed, you may have to start all over again.  I believe the TP for Mods 1 through 5 have recently been changed and this may be the reason you have to start over again--as you never completed the full course in the past. 

Just a thought.

According to Annex A of CDA Directive 02/10, if a CF member completed PLQ or PLQ Land, the qualification is good for life.  Note this directive only applies to equivalencies.  If there is any question as to validity of individual mods, your unit should contact CDA at "CRCDA(at)forces.gc.ca" on the Internet or "(plus)CDA.PLAR-EEFA(at)CDA-ADC(at)Kingston" on the DWAN.

According to the O gp Wednesday, the TP is currently being redone with no new courses until Jan 12.

Tango18A said:
According to the O gp Wednesday, the TP is currently being redone with no new courses until Jan 12.

That is funny as LFWA TC is running one starting 17 Oct 11.

Back