• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooldude87 said:
That's disheartening to hear. I know how government  bureaucracy works. I've taken this drug 100 times the dosage or application won't matteer. I'm probably blacklisted for life. I'll try my luck with the reserves I imagine the standards are lower.

Same standards apply.

Cooldude87 said:
That's disheartening to hear. I know how government  bureaucracy works. I've taken this drug 100 times the dosage or application won't matteer. I'm probably blacklisted for life. I'll try my luck with the reserves I imagine the standards are lower.

Nope, same standards. You can still apply to join the Regular Force, just be honest about your drugs history.

Oh, and stop using drugs!

I'm confused as to when your prior drug use plays a role in the recruiting process.

Today I did my CFAT and and the end the MCC came and explained to use how the pre-enrolment substance screening works. For the CFAT, we were told that we would receive a e-mail on how the test went - but we were also told that our prior drug use could give us an e-mail saying that we've been terminated from the process. However, most of the replies here are that it goes with your interview (even the more recent replies).

So I'm confused as to when your prior drug use will be brought into question. I marked on my paper that during highschool, between Oct '15 and May '16 I smoked weed 13 times. I'm 17 now and it's going to be 6 months clean the first day of November.

So I had my CFAT test yesterday, and after doing the Personality test we filled out the pre-enrollment substance use questionnaire. After we completed that and the MCC looked it over (making sure we filled out everything correct, signed, etc.), we had the post-test powerpoint explaining the process from now on. He explained that there are 4 possible outcomes. Either we passed or failed the aptitude test for our chosen occupations, or that our drug use would disqualify us from the Forces.

However, many posts in the Merged Drug Use thread in the recruiting section, have said that this mainly comes into play during your interview. So I'm confused if I would be getting an e-mail in the next few days saying I've been disqualified or that I would just have to explain to the MCC in the interview about my drug use. For those wondering, I used to occasionally smoke pot in high school when I was 16. I wrote down that between Oct '15 and May '16, I smoked a total of 13 times. It's going to be 7 months clean on Nov. 1st.

EDIT - Forgot to mention we would receive our results via e-mail.

I've seen people disqualified on the spot due to the drug use questionnaire - CFAT done, questionnaire filled out, I'd have up to "X" spots for medicals booked, and that would usually decrease by 1/3 or so just from the Drugs Form.  You'll either get an email saying come back some other time when you've been off the dope for longer or come in for a medical and interview.

MM

for such a high security level job i don't understand why they don't do any drug testing on people during the recruitment medicals, or random drug testing. Even when I had worked in corporate office buildings some of them did drug tests on.

I'm talking about the reserves here.

Because it's illegal?  Anonymous testing does happen but individual testing requires reasonable doubt and a bunch of hoops to jump through.

http://www.rbs.ca/newsroom-publications-Employee-Drug-Alcohol-Testing-Canada.html

Seize said:
for such a high security level job i don't understand why they don't do any drug testing on people during the recruitment medicals, or random drug testing.

Drug use/drug testing in the CF (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/16153.650
27 pages.

SupersonicMax said:
Because it's illegal?  Anonymous testing does happen but individual testing requires reasonable doubt and a bunch of hoops to jump through.

http://www.rbs.ca/newsroom-publications-Employee-Drug-Alcohol-Testing-Canada.html

It's also illegal to water ski after sunset or paint a wooden ladder in Alberta. Not all laws are relevant in 2016.  Given the job we do in the military mandatory, non-blind drug tests shouldn't be some kind of human rights violation.  (Not suggesting you think the contrary Max)

I would absolutely be for ramdom drug testing in CAF, a bit like the US does.  However, the CAF cannot break the law and start testing because it makes sense... 

SupersonicMax said:
.........  However, the CAF cannot break the law and start testing because it makes sense...

The CAF has been found exempt from certain Canadian Laws and Regulations under Federal Legislations.  Take UNIVERSALITY OF SERVICE as one such example. 

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5019-3.page

A good starting point for reading:

SupersonicMax said:

ok so if blind random testing is illegal. why can't they do drug testing on all of us when we are enrolling ? ? weed out all the potheads etc

Seize said:
ok so if blind random testing is illegal. why can't they do drug testing on all of us when we are enrolling ? ? weed out all the potheads etc

Quite possibly due to the cost involved.  I don't imagine there's many institutions that do drug testing during the hiring process.

So, Seize, did you finally get in the CF or is this just sour grapes?

Seize said:
why can't they do drug testing on all of us when we are enrolling ? ?

Drug use/drug testing in the CF (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/16153.650
27 pages.

See also,

Pre-employment drug test Canada.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=drug+test+hiring&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=oDE8WIKzIsaC8QfQ-YyIAg&gws_rd=ssl#cr=countryCA&tbs=ctr:countryCA&q=pre+employment+drug+test

PMedMoe said:
Quite possibly due to the cost involved.  I don't imagine there's many institutions that do drug testing during the hiring process.

additionally,  applicants aren't yet members of the CAF, so things like the DAOD above wouldn't apply to them yet.

Eye In The Sky said:
additionally,  applicants aren't yet members of the CAF, so things like the DAOD above wouldn't apply to them yet.

True.  :nod:

PMedMoe said:

I'm in the CF now. and i've worked at jobs where drug testing was mandatory

Seize said:

Then read the DAOD i linked earlier in the thread.  Blind testing is legal;  my Wing did it this past fall IAW CAF policy detailed in the DAOD.

Seize said:

Prior to hiring or after? Makes a big difference....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back