• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt_k said:
I don't know if this topic is already answered/finished with.

It doesn't really matter about the drug use, during my CFAT I had to fill out my drug questionnaire. I was the first to receive it, and the last one to hand it back in, to paint the picture, and it ranged from marijuana to cocaine, everything in between.

What they concerned about is that you have made a change, and shown that you have had some time away from those negative activities, and you are making more positive choices.

No what they are concerned about is whether or not you have a substance abuse problem, and whether or not your prior use has had had a negative effect on you from a physiological/psychological standpoint that would preclude you from dealing with highly stressful situations that often require a high degree of mental acuity.  MCC and Recruiters may tell you some line about making the right choices etc, which is entirely subjective, and not at all how things really work.  The truth is as I stated, they have a matrix which they must adhere to.  This matrix was developed by medical professionals to determine whether or not your synapses are fried or not.

Well, I was offered a job with no questions asked about my past use, so time obviously has some impact. Or maybe I sounded fine during my medical interview, and not like a burn out? either way. My point was it doesn't matter how extensive your past experiences are; not to lie and see where it goes from there.

Matt_k said:
Well, I was offered a job with no questions asked about my past use, so time obviously has some impact.
Because the decision is based on a matrix, period.  X Drug + Y number of Times +Z timeframe= Good to go, refer to med staff, or halt process. 

My point was it doesn't matter how extensive your past experiences are; not to lie and see where it goes from there.

Your point is irrelevant, because you do not know what you are talking about.  I do, I worked in recruiting. Your past experience does absolutely matter, see above, for how the decision is reached.

KotaSkyy said:
[...] I'll change  babe I  promise. [...]

:eek: :-\

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

KotaSkyy said:
Okay so, I know this has been discussed before in the forums but it didn't really hit the answer I was looking for.

You read the forums on this matter?

What different answer did you expect to hear?

The answers given cover the matter in detail.  If you can't fathom what was discussed, please seek help from a qualified person at a CFRC who can explain the implications and resulting criteria that need to be met before joining the CAF.

Having been sober for a year with the exception of a glass of scotch or wine with/after dinner and an odd party or two every few months I have this to say.

Smoking marijuana heavily through grade school (gr. 5 to past gr. 12) in northern Alberta I feel like I am who I am because of my use and probably wouldn't have even applied to the army without my past. I'd have done better in school and gone to a trade or perhaps something else. I tried mushrooms 4 times starting with my graduation celebration (irony huh) and later tried LSD. Had a terrible, literally, raging experience on it. I was drunk, smoked up, it was Halloween and LSD sounded interesting. Without this experience I wouldn't have gotten sober. It literally scared me straight being that out of control. It made me turn my life around, I have always been a pretty cool guy, drummer, guitarist, mechanically inclined (welding, machining, mechanics, landscaping, machinery operation, etc), I'm sporty/fit, intelligent despite "dead brain cells (load of BS)," extremely good with people in person (online I get aggressive lol) and I have just become a much better person since sobering up.

I passed the CFAT, qualified for almost every trade, was honest with my exact usage on the medical form and the recruiter pulled me into a room, said "got a busy history here son" we chuckled and talked, he realized I squared myself away, I got professional diving certs and am a master scuba diver trainer (PADI - excellent leadership training btw) and first aid instructor. They are scheduling my medical and interview early Jan. Doesn't seem like I have to wait 3 years due to hallucinogens so I think they make exceptions based on their overall experience with you, might be wrong and they may tell me I have to wait, but why would they go ahead and book me in the new year for med/interview ? Idk, maybe they'll tell me after the medical, which would come up clean. Doesn't make sense to waste their resources and they didn't say anything regarding 3 year wait at all.

Anyway point is, despite heavy use, with honesty and integrity, some confidence to fess up and be a mature man/lady they'll give you a chance. I really hate all you anti-pot people, it has great benefits and smoking happens to be the best method of dosage, thc pills don't really work so that argument is invalid. Sure, it should be regulated and medical cards need to be respected and not abused so the people who genuinely need it can get it. I however also believe the forces require sobriety, even from heavy alcohol use and I hear that issue is pretty prevalent, perhaps more in America idk how bad it is with CAF.

My past use of pot, however illicit, made me extremely creative/crafty (not cunning or manipulative - had people misinterpret crafty) and seek out experiences that sculpted ironically my responsibility, leadership and appreciation/general respect be it for nature, fellow man or what have you. Some fine traits I would think.. Sure I can be an asshole but that's more personality than past drug experimentation. I think if you haven't tried drugs (don't go starting now though) you are less (perhaps) dynamic of a character, kinda mundane without some altered consciousness experiences.

I wouldn't say these people are any less awesome or anything, they just can't really connect to say 90% of the rest of society on that level. They might not be able to feel sympathy for the out of control street people who couldn't control themselves, which is sad, not something to be scoffed at as many "sober-lifers" I know do (well if I can do why can't everyone-people). Some of the best memories that I'll cherish forever involved friends, or being alone in nature, a little high, and sometimes sober. Deal with it. If you met me you'd trust me in the trenches with your life too. Just fun facts and my humble opinion on this subject as I have been quite involve for a few years.

Good luck and sorry for any typos, I'm on a greyhound to visit family for Christmas and I'm typing on my phone.
Happy holidays :snowman:

D!V3R-13 said:
I really hate all you anti-pot people, it has great benefits and smoking happens to be the best method of dosage, thc pills don't really work so that argument is invalid. Sure, it should be regulated and medical cards need to be respected and not abused so the people who genuinely need it can get it. I however also believe the forces require sobriety, even from heavy alcohol use and I hear that issue is pretty prevalent, perhaps more in America idk how bad it is with CAF.

My past use of pot, however illicit, made me extremely creative/crafty (not cunning or manipulative - had people misinterpret crafty) and seek out experiences that sculpted ironically my responsibility, leadership and appreciation/general respect be it for nature, fellow man or what have you. Some fine traits I would think.. Sure I can be an asshole but that's more personality than past drug experimentation. I think if you haven't tried drugs (don't go starting now though) you are less (perhaps) dynamic of a character, kinda mundane without some altered consciousness experiences.

I wouldn't say these people are any less awesome or anything, they just can't really connect to say 90% of the rest of society on that level. They might not be able to feel sympathy for the out of control street people who couldn't control themselves, which is sad, not something to be scoffed at as many "sober-lifers" I know do (well if I can do why can't everyone-people). Some of the best memories that I'll cherish forever involved friends, or being alone in nature, a little high, and sometimes sober. Deal with it. If you met me you'd trust me in the trenches with your life too. Just fun facts and my humble opinion on this subject as I have been quite involve for a few years.

Experimentation? That's what you call, self admitted, heavy marijuana use from Gr 5 thru Gr 12? :rofl:

Heavy abuse of a number of different illicit substances over a period of years doesn't make you an expert, to be offering medical opinions or counseling life decisions. It makes you a drug addict.

Just fun facts and my humble opinion on this subject. :gottree:

D!V3R-13 said:
... I really hate all you anti-pot people...

D!V3R-13 said:
My past use of pot... sculpted ironically my responsibility, leadership and appreciation/general respect be it for nature, fellow man or what have you...

Appreciation and respect for fellow man you say? The irony of those two statements is baffling. :facepalm:

Please keep your opinion and expert advice to yourself and don't offend those who have chosen to occupy their time with socially productive activities by calling them mundane, less dynamic and unable to connect to 90% of society. Again, just my humble opinion...

D!V3R-13 you were smoking pot in grade 5?

You should give your parents a blast of shit this Christmas visit.

D!V3R-13 said:
Smoking marijuana heavily through grade school (gr. 5 to past gr. 12) in northern Alberta I feel like I am who I am because of my use and probably wouldn't have even applied to the army without my past. I'd have done better in school and gone to a trade or perhaps something else.

So, you're saying the CF is only good for ex-druggies who didn't do well in school?  Nice....  ::)

D!V3R-13 said:
I passed the CFAT, qualified for almost every trade, was honest with my exact usage on the medical form and the recruiter pulled me into a room, said "got a busy history here son" we chuckled and talked, he realized I squared myself away, I got professional diving certs and am a master scuba diver trainer (PADI - excellent leadership training btw) and first aid instructor. They are scheduling my medical and interview early Jan. Doesn't seem like I have to wait 3 years due to hallucinogens so I think they make exceptions based on their overall experience with you, might be wrong and they may tell me I have to wait, but why would they go ahead and book me in the new year for med/interview ? Idk, maybe they'll tell me after the medical, which would come up clean. Doesn't make sense to waste their resources and they didn't say anything regarding 3 year wait at all.

Anyway point is, despite heavy use, with honesty and integrity, some confidence to fess up and be a mature man/lady they'll give you a chance.

It seems your past use, has impaired your cognitive reading abilities, as I explained a few posts above, whether or not you are screened out on drug use is entirely OBJECTIVE.  Meaning, the person doing your interview, and medical staff, don't have leeway in their decision.  If the math for your past use=take a pass, then that is precisely what will happen. 

My past use of pot, however illicit, made me extremely creative/crafty (not cunning or manipulative - had people misinterpret crafty) and seek out experiences that sculpted ironically my responsibility, leadership and appreciation/general respect be it for nature, fellow man or what have you. Some fine traits I would think.. Sure I can be an ******* but that's more personality than past drug experimentation. I think if you haven't tried drugs (don't go starting now though) you are less (perhaps) dynamic of a character, kinda mundane without some altered consciousness experiences.

I wouldn't say these people are any less awesome or anything, they just can't really connect to say 90% of the rest of society on that level. They might not be able to feel sympathy for the out of control street people who couldn't control themselves, which is sad, not something to be scoffed at as many "sober-lifers" I know do (well if I can do why can't everyone-people). Some of the best memories that I'll cherish forever involved friends, or being alone in nature, a little high, and sometimes sober. Deal with it.

Right....... ::)

If you met me you'd trust me in the trenches with your life too. Just fun facts and my humble opinion on this subject as I have been quite involve for a few years.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....oh you are being serious.......keep dreaming.

Is this one of the elves Santa fired?  :nod:

for drug use...... ::)

Hi there everyone,

So I have a quick question regarding processing and past substance use. I sent in my application to find employment within the Canadian Forces as an infantry soldier or combat engineer(Reg Force). I soon later heard back from them and booked my CFAT. I qualified for the trades I selected and when asked to fill out the form regarding past drug use I answered honestly. About 3 years ago I used marijuana for roughly 3 months before stopping because I was not happy with the choices I made. I have matured immensely since then and I am very excited for the opportunity to be able to serve my country. My question is will the Forces hold my past against me? Im supposed to call on Wednesday to confirm a date for my medical, but im just worried that my honesty may lead to disaster, and me not being considered as a candidate for my trade. Thankyou!

Seriously??  I pulled up 7 threads, including the MASSIVE 41 page thread on this topic.  Your post and situation is in now way shape or form unique.  Start reading.

And for the record ANYONE professing to know whether or not certain kinds of drug use is acceptable, and is not a MILITARY CAREER COUNSELOR, currently looking at an applicant file AND the current guidlines is talking out of their a$$ and needs to stay in their lane.

LOCKED.

Hatchet Man
Milnet.ca Staff

I have consolidated several more threads into this, locked and stickied it.  At 42 pages in length (might take a few hours to read..so what) if you can't find your answers (unlikely) and are still worried about whether your use disqualifies you, then you will just have to roll the dice and accept the consequences for the poor life decisions YOU made.

Any further posts I find will be removed, and I have asked my fellow DS to do like wise.  If this bothers you, PM one of us, and we can discuss it with you (note you probably won't like what we have to say).

Hatchet Man
Milnet.ca Staff

This was raised in another thread by a few who thought drug use in foreign jurisdictions where certain practices illegal here were considered decriminalized:

locomoco said:
Hello,

I lurked through the Drug Use Mega Threat but could not find an answer to my question.

Previously I spent time living in Europe as part of an exchange program. During that time, I smoked marijuana regularly. Where I was living, it was heavily decriminalized and very tolerated. If I applied, I am prepared to admit this on my application but I am curious to know how this affects me

Would the same standard of 6 months without usage apply to me or would it have to be longer?

thanks

Drug use is drug use, no matter where it was done.  The Canadian Armed Forces policies on smoking Marijuana (all drug use) apply no matter where (in the world) you may have smoked it (used).

Also in reply to that Thread:

Brihard said:
Guess what kids: You're trying to join the Canadian Military. Nobody gives a rat's ass about your barracks room lawyering about your drug abuse; ('heavily decriminalized' is not the same as 'legal'). We have lots of people knocking at the door. We can readily fill our ranks with people who have exhibited better judgment than to abuse drugs because they could get away with it. You didn't just decide to join the military yesterday, presumably- you've had this as a plan for a while.

If you have that much concern over 'the realm of control the government has over an individual', this is probably the wrong organization for you- and I say that as someone who is a STRONG believer in civil liberties, but also an infantry NCO. Given that you can face a charge under the national defence act (federal legislation) for showing up five minutes late for work or telling your boss to eff off, you may take it as a given that somewhat stricter standards and expectations are applied to the military.

There are plenty of members of the CF who have done stupid things in the past (and drug use is stupid), but they accepted whatever consequences resulted, and they sorted themselves out over time. Be prepared for a potentially lengthy wait if you have recent drug use. Simply put- until we are sure that we can get a proper estimation of your judgment, we don't need you. If my answer offends you, too bad.

REMEMBER this:

You are applying for employment in Canada, and Canadian Laws apply, not foreign laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back