• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRETC thread (merged)

Hey guys! After months of waiting for my component transfer to the RegF to be processed, i've finally recieved an offer letter from NDHQ. Looks like im going to PRETC for a couple of months as Corporal(this shocked me because i thought it was mandatory to drop rank). In searching these forums i've noticed that there doesn't seem to be much info on PRETC. The majority of what i'm reading is that PRETC sucks and that there understaffed but many of these posts are a couple of years old. Anyone currently there or have been there recently? The common verdict is that it sucks but i want a heads up to why? Looking for some good info here.

rmc_wannabe said:
We call those Sys error 18 : error exists 18 inches away from the computer, in the user's brain. Rebooting the problem area is usually required ;).

In a few tech support positions I have held in my years many of us would use error codes such as "ID-10-T" or my favorite (and most likely exactly the same as your sys error 18) PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

I have been told that I will be spending time in PRETC while i transfer into the airforce, I am going from the infantry of 7 years to ACS Tech. I am worried that I will have to leave my wife and family at home.
My question would be can I get a PMQ and bring my family with me because I will be going on course in borden and it would save time to bring them up. Or do I have to suck it up until my course starts.
Thanks for any information.

It will probably depend on the length of your course and if you are actually posted versus being sent on an attached posting or TD.  Do you have a message yet?

From what I understand, people have done it.

I'm not sure what is going on for I have never changed trades before. When talking with my WO yesterday he said I would be going to borden at attached to PRETC i don't know if this means attached posted or whatever.
I can live without my wife but the course i'm taking is in borden as well and it would be nice to move every thing up there.

CanadianBigGame said:
I'm not sure what is going on for I have never changed trades before. When talking with my WO yesterday he said I would be going to borden at attached to PRETC i don't know if this means attached posted or whatever.
I can live without my wife but the course i'm taking is in borden as well and it would be nice to move every thing up there.

It sounds like you are being posted to CFSATE, 16 Wing Borden, and then attached posted from CFSATE to PRETC while you wait to be course loaded on your 3's course.

If you are posted to Borden, then you should get a move of your family and HG & E.  Of course, this isn't an "official" answer. :)  Only your msg will contain the details when it comes in.

Eye In The Sky said:
It sounds like you are being posted to CFSATE, 16 Wing Borden, and then attached posted from CFSATE to PRETC while you wait to be course loaded on your 3's course.

If you are posted to Borden, then you should get a move of your family and HG & E.  Of course, this isn't an "official" answer. :)  Only your msg will contain the details when it comes in.

This is partially correct.

You will posted to CFSATE, 16wing but PRETC is something entirely different.

PRETC is for non-500 series trades, mostly logistic trades.

You will be waiting on PAT platoon before your course starts.

I can't speak for you personally but in my experience the guys coming to CFSATE from the army end up waiting at least a month or so in the shacks before they can get a PMQ for their family so you might want to be prepared for that.

Hope this helps.

I hope I don't have to wait a month but hell after a tour a month is nothing.
Thanks for the advice guys. I am looking forward to starting course in borden, just not the waiting.
What the heck takes so long for a CT to go through wow longest wait ever. I thought changing trades would be a few months not a few years. (not really its has been 9 months)

CanadianBigGame said:
I thought changing trades would be a few months not a few years. (not really its has been 9 months)

You are doing a CT and changing trades right ?

Let me put it to you this way. I was RegF and remustering to another RegF trade. I hate to wait 12 months to find out if i was even accepted and then 6 months before i could go on my wings course.

You are changing components and MOC so expect it to take a while.

I did a CT with an OT.  Applied in Apr, after all was said and done, I "switched" Feb of the next year.  Straight CTs are quicker, the PLAR process isn't as complicated IIRC.  Remeber, we are also coming off the summer cycle of leave and APS, so...that probably has an influence from a timeline perspective too.

Cancel last,

just spoke to a couple corporals who remustered to ACS and they both told me it only took them about a week in the shacks before they got a PMQ.

I've also heard it can be hard sometimes if your situation isn't so clear-cut, e.g. common-law marriage and such.

I am married so it shouldn't be a problem. I hope everything goes as planned. And now im just waiting for my letter. It seems like the whole process took way longer than it should. I have friends who went through basic as a new soldier faster than I could CT.

Hey Army forums !

I'm in my last two weeks of BMQ and got my posting this week, very happy that I'm going straight to Kingston on PAT and will be doing my trades qual there also as comm research. I just wanted to know what usally happens to us when we get shipped to our new bases. I've heard most of the time they tell us to take 2 weeks off and what not. I know it's prob different for everyone, if I can get some past experiences from BMQ to PAT would be great thanks alot

Going on leave will be depending on some variables.

How much leave do you have to use up this fiscal year that won't be used up by block leave
If you are going on a course anytime soon

etc

Wait out an you will see what will happen to you.

kingston pat requires 6 annual leave days. if you are coming out of bmq you have 14 to use up.

So when I get there they make me take at least 6 days leave. Also how does the christmas block leave work out, it's from the 15th of Dec to 5th of Jan I was told, but how many days are took off leave. :camo:

Assuming the standard block leave / holiday allowances are granted, it looks like the 15 Dec thru 5 Jan would break down something like this:

11 Annual days
6 Weekend days
3 Stat days
2 Short/Specials
22 days off for block leave total

Remember, this is not official and your unit will have to approve you leave pass.

Ok, not quite sure where this fits, but this is as good a start as any.

PRETC: What the heck are they up to up there?

I've got the second CT/OT in as many months in front of me. Both are posted to PRETC even though their QL3's are months away (one in Sep, one in Jan). Both have solid offers of OJT in their new trade in their place of primary residence, but they are being refused. Happened last summer as well, 2 offers through my shop and they both ended up on PRETC for ungodly long periods.

Is this PRETC being unreasonable or is it the big giant tentacled thing in Ottawa that is just churning out messages? Both QL3 courses belong to CFSAL if that matters any.

I just do not see the sense in sending someone to Borden, so we can pay them separation pay for X months, so they can sit on PRETC and do nothing as opposed to doing actual trade related OJT. One message indicates a no-cost move while the other does not. Who gets a move for a 2 month QL3? Posting message is to be cut no sooner than 7 days before, so not a lot of time to react. Want to get my battle plans ready now.

Even our RSM is a little ticked at the lack of cooperation we seem to be getting.

Any advice or direction I can point my preemptive bang stick at?

Thanks.

Wook

Not sure how it is now, however from what I remember PRETC was over populated and under staffed. Your PL IC barely could remember your name. A friend of mine, was sent to PRETC on his re muster from Halifax and within 2 days of being on ground his request for OJE had been approved as he already had a place to stay there (therefore no burden on the training unit to provide room and board). No idea why your requests are denied, but I wouldn't be surprised if once you were there, you got approved to go back on OJE.

Back