• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRETC thread (merged)

Would anyone know what type of prerequisites courses, or just general courses would be available for someone heading into COMM RSCH while waiting in PRETC?

if you're lucky, you may get a driver-wheeled course., but don't counton anything beyond that, as hopefully you won't be hanging around too long. The key is to get taskings, because that will get you out to see a whole bunch of different aspects of the military, and let you see lots of different bases or even cities/towns. Take PRETC for what it is, it's a holding tank, just try and not get pickled by the brine =)

justascubadiver said:
Would anyone know what type of prerequisites courses, or just general courses would be available for someone heading into COMM RSCH while waiting in PRETC?

I'm just finishing up my 4th month at PRETC and there are no prereq or general courses available to Comm Rsch here. There is a math study package you get from PRETC supply though that is to be completed before you go on your QL3 Part 1. On the upside, now that summer is nearly over, it looks like they're going to be starting a Part 1 course just about every month between now and February, so your stay in Borden is likely to be short.

Edit: Actually, if you're here long enough and are an army comm rsch op, you might get sent on SQ while you're here. Some of us end up doing it after our QL3 Part 1 though, just depends on course availability.

To echo the advice above, volunteer for taskings as much as possible. Anything that provides a bit of variety or purpose to your day helps, and sometimes you luck out and get to do something really cool.

Are there any Sports or competitve activities (besides the Gym) troops from PRETC  can take part in?  For instance, when i was on BMQ in Borden there was a hockey leauge in which various people on base participated in.  I used the search function, came up with nothing as far as eligability for these kinds of things. 

I've been on PRETC for 3 months now...and yeah it can get really boring sometimes, I have just started doing things to keep me occupied. Volunteering for taskings and doing some really fun stuff. And as for all of the down time I have been able to get in better shape...with more time to rest and workout on my own schedule.

great_white said:
Are there any Sports or competitve activities (besides the Gym) troops from PRETC  can take part in?  For instance, when i was on BMQ in Borden there was a hockey leauge in which various people on base participated in.  I used the search function, came up with nothing as far as eligability for these kinds of things.   

I know PRETC has a hockey team they put in the Base Intersection League. The Hockey is not spectacular but it's a chance to get out and play some puck. I played last year, with another team and had a blast. Playing CFSATE or 400 Sqn was always fun as it usually got a little rough and rowdy. If your there during the winter months I'd suggest playing.

Hi.  I stumbled across this site not too long ago and I have have to say I think it is an excellent resource for our young and older service personal alike.  I have been wearing the uniform for 24 yrs now and I know I would of appreciated this site as a young Private.  I presently work at PRETC (Post Recruit Employment & Training Centre) here in Borden.  I have scanned the forums here for references to PRETC and have noticed several threads relating to it.  Some of the questions posed and the replies they have received have been, in my opinion, a mixture of misinformation, speculation, untruths, or just outdated information.  I would like to see, if possible, a sub board, or a sub sub board under training dedicated to PRETC.  I would be more than willing to watch such a board and put my two cents in when required. 

In case you are unfamiliar with it, PRETC is what we use to call PAT Platoon.  Though that name no longer applies.  We take soldier who have just finished their BMQ, transferred from the reserves, or are recruit school bypass and are waiting to start their trades training.  This includes about 30 different occupations.  At present we have approx 1200 troops at PRETC.  Our goal is to gainfully employ these people while they wait for the QL3.  The large majority, approx 1000, are working in their trade somewhere in Canada.  The remainder, mainly because they are very close to their QL3 start date, are employed in Borden on short term taskings.

Thanks for your time. 

That's pretty nice of you to offer that SGT, I'd love to see a sub board like that ran by someone who has work directly relating to the PRETC, because I know after I'm done basic and waiting for my AVS / POET training I'd love to have info about it.

As a side note SGT, I live close to Greenwood AFB, if I was awaiting trainging in POET / AVS could I request to be stationed there temporarily so I could live with my wife and children? Or do they just toss you to certain bases only.

SGT-RMSCLK said:
Hi.  I stumbled across this site not too long ago and I have have to say I think it is an excellent resource for our young and older service personal alike.  I presently work at PRETC (Post Recruit Employment & Training Centre) here in Borden.  I have scanned the forums here for references to PRETC and have noticed several threads relating to it.  Some of the questions posed and the replies they have received have been, in my opinion, a mixture of misinformation, speculation, untruths, or just outdated information.    

Don't forget also an excellent source of information for civvies :).

Could you give some specific examples of the mixture you've found ?

You can always posted more accurate informations at any times ...

Yrys said:
Don't forget also an excellent source of information for civvies :).

Could you give some specific examples of the mixture you've found ?

You can always posted more accurate informations at any times ...

By civilians, I am guessing you folks who want to join but haven't yet?

I wont give specific examples here because it may lead to confusion on the part of the reader.

I would have posted corrections to those threads but a lot were about a year old and those folks are probably long gone from the training system.

I would suggest you post away inorder to clear up any errors that are there. Maybe the MODS would then sticky it.

SGT-RMSCLK said:
By civilians, I am guessing you folks who want to join but haven't yet?

I don't want to join and I'm a civy  :D ... an interested civy  ;D

Threads a year old shouldn't be taking as good as recents ones. And informations post on a public forum
shouldn't be taking as seriously as those in the officials website .

RTaylor said:
That's pretty nice of you to offer that SGT, I'd love to see a sub board like that ran by someone who has work directly relating to the PRETC, because I know after I'm done basic and waiting for my AVS / POET training I'd love to have info about it.

As a side note SGT, I live close to Greenwood AFB, if I was awaiting training in POET / AVS could I request to be stationed there temporarily so I could live with my wife and children? Or do they just toss you to certain bases only.

Hi RTaylor.  Sadly, 500 series trades await their QL3 with CFSATE, not PRETC.  So I cannot answer that question in your case.  But for those trades we do handle the answer would be yes, provided that you are more than 90 days from the start of QL3, and you have a place to stay near the base that will not cost DND anything in the way of food or lodgings.  For example: If you were a supply tech who wasn't scheduled to start QL3 until Sept, we could send you to live with your wife and work in Greenwood, provided there was job avail for you there.

RTaylor said:
I live close to Greenwood AFB,

Just for future reference its "14 Wing Greenwood" or "CFB Greenwood"

___________ AFB is not a Canadian thing.

NFLD Sapper said:
I would suggest you post away inorder to clear up any errors that are there. Maybe the MODS would then sticky it.

Good point.  I will research again and post on my findings.

I can vouch for the staff  being fast to find placements for the recruits. While I was recovering from an injury they were able to send me to clothing stores here in Borden while I waited for my 3's to start. It was a great experience for me, and although we are only 4 days in it is already paying off for me by giving me a head up on some of what is going on in the course. I'm glad that there is such dedicated staff helping the post-recruits, however they are much understaffed in my opinion. Although some post-recruits feel "trapped" in the PRETC system, that is not the case for all.

Thank you again SGT for your hard work, and the work of the whole PRETC staff.

CDN Aviator said:
Just for future reference its "14 Wing Greenwood" or "CFB Greenwood"

___________ AFB is not a Canadian thing.

I was going to mention that too. :)  I spent 16 yrs there, I still remember people calling RCAF Station Greenwood.  Actually more than that as it is my home town.  Been there since '71.

It's all the American's influence rubbing off on my working at a call center for Sprint. Pure scandal if I do say so myself ;)

RTaylor said:
It's all the American's influence rubbing off on my working at a call center for Sprint. Pure scandal if I do say so myself ;)

Call it "CYZX" and impress all the zoomies  ;)

(you can Google "ICAO ID" if you're really bored and/or curious)

Back