• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRETC thread (merged)

Eye In The Sky said:
Call it "CYZX" and impress all the zoomies  ;)

It will only impress zoomies from Greenwood, the rest of us just call it "the ditch"

SGT-RMSCLK said:
By civilians, I am guessing you folks who want to join but haven't yet?

I wont give specific examples here because it may lead to confusion on the part of the reader.

I would have posted corrections to those threads but a lot were about a year old and those folks are probably long gone from the training system.

And some of the staff that posted from PRETC are also long gone from there, and things have changed since their departure.

Things change. All the time. What is accurate info one day, is quite often subject to change the next. It's not limited to PRETC, but can be seen in "entitlements" to various clothing items etc. CAP courses etc etc. Lengths of courses, locations of courses, all change all the time.

What would be one board that's up to date today on PRETC -- would be out of date next week. Moving it to one board isn't going to change that. I personally think it's fine in the "training" board -- that is what it is.

Perhaps though, with you being there now as staff -- you shouldn't be so shy about stepping in to correct errors, note changes, or to post accuracies if someone else who is now removed from there is posting inaccurately. This site survives on members providing timely, accurate, and factual information. If you see something contrary to that -- feel free to step in to correct.

ArmyVern
The Milnet.ca Staff

Point to have clarified by staff currently at PRETC.

Last brief/O-Group I received stated that by June 08 "Army PATS" would no longer be posted to PRETC, that CLS TE's would manage them. This seems to be along the same lines as the CAS PAT's who are managed by CFSATE as you have stated. This would then only leave "Purple Trades" for PRETC. Would this reduction in numbers to be managed by PRETC be significant and would the remaining PAT's benefit from this change?

Does anyone know the mailing address for PRETC? :warstory: I've been tryna get some mail sent to me but I don't know the address.

BlaqqMuzyk said:
Does anyone know the mailing address for PRETC? :warstory: I've been tryna get some mail sent to me but I don't know the address.
You've got to be kidding me!? Ever thought of asking your supervisor/CoC, Orderly Room, peers, roommate, buddy, friends, looking at the walls in the quarters, looking in Routine Orders, asking at Canex, Yellow Pages etc etc. Next someone will be asked to spoon feed, sheesh. ::)

PO2FinClk said:
You've got to be kidding me!? Ever thought of asking your supervisor/CoC, Orderly Room, peers, roommate, buddy, friends, looking at the walls in the quarters, looking in Routine Orders, asking at Canex, Yellow Pages etc etc. Next someone will be asked to spoon feed, sheesh. ::)

What was that joke about the Help Desk operator who told the person to pack up their computer and take it back to where they bought it?

Perhaps we should ask some people to pack up their Kit and return it from where they got it issued?

George Wallace said:
What was that joke about the Help Desk operator who told the person to pack up their computer and take it back to where they bought it?

Perhaps we should ask some people to pack up their Kit and return it from where they got it issued?

We call those Sys error 18 : error exists 18 inches away from the computer, in the user's brain. Rebooting the problem area is usually required ;).

PO2FinClk said:
You've got to be kidding me!? Ever thought of asking your ... buddy, friends... ::)

Perhaps absence of those is why he's been trying to have mail sent to him.

that's really interesting to hear, (the original post).  Speaking as someone who just finished BOTP at St Jean, I know there is a large stigma surrounding 'PAT platoon' as they are referred to there.

PO2FinClk said:

Last brief/O-Group I received stated that by June 08 "Army PATS" would no longer be posted to PRETC, that CLS TE's would manage them. This seems to be along the same lines as the CAS PAT's who are managed by CFSATE as you have stated. This would then only leave "Purple Trades" for PRETC. Would this reduction in numbers to be managed by PRETC be significant and would the remaining PAT's benefit from this change?

I didn't think any Cmbt Arms PATs were going to PRETC.

AirCanuck said:
that's really interesting to hear, (the original post).  Speaking as someone who just finished BOTP at St Jean, I know there is a large stigma surrounding 'PAT platoon' as they are referred to there.

There is a massive difference between the PAT Platoon in St-Jean, and PRETC here in Borden. True, most people prefer not to be on either, but one would rather be on PRETC than PAT because PRETC means you are one step closer to your 3's. Also, the stigma of PAT in St-Jean is that it's filled with a bunch of fakers and whiners that don't want to do the work. Now, having not been on PAT there myself I don't know how true it is, however I've seen some people on it, and I really don't think they wanted to do any work. Others on the other hand wanted to be put on platoon as fast as possible so not to fall prey to the negativity that surrounds them. With PRETC there are some that would rather be stuck there and not go on course, but 99% want to be out as fast as possible. Also, as the good SGT mentioned, there are taskings that need to be filled, and those that have a while to wait can ask to be placed on EWOT, so as not to go insane while waiting. As mentioned before, I was very lucky to get on with clothing stores, I felt needed, and I was able to gain some experience in my trade prior to my 3's. I hope this helps clear the air a bit on the differences between PAT and PRETC.

Eye In The Sky said:
I didn't think any Cmbt Arms PATs were going to PRETC.
I guess I should of been more specific, obviously not Cbt Arms.

Rather was intended to denote any other Army centric occupation such as EO Techs, Veh Techs, ED Techs, etc etc

Chapeski said:
There is a massive difference between the PAT Platoon in St-Jean, and PRETC here in Borden. True, most people prefer not to be on either, but one would rather be on PRETC than PAT because PRETC means you are one step closer to your 3's. Also, the stigma of PAT in St-Jean is that it's filled with a bunch of fakers and whiners that don't want to do the work. Now, having not been on PAT there myself I don't know how true it is, however I've seen some people on it, and I really don't think they wanted to do any work. Others on the other hand wanted to be put on platoon as fast as possible so not to fall prey to the negativity that surrounds them. With PRETC there are some that would rather be stuck there and not go on course, but 99% want to be out as fast as possible. Also, as the good SGT mentioned, there are taskings that need to be filled, and those that have a while to wait can ask to be placed on EWOT, so as not to go insane while waiting. As mentioned before, I was very lucky to get on with clothing stores, I felt needed, and I was able to gain some experience in my trade prior to my 3's. I hope this helps clear the air a bit on the differences between PAT and PRETC.

Thanks for pointing out the difference
I think it has a mix at st jean.  I had a good friend of mine, real tough SOB who very nearly broke his ankle on our second last week of BOTP and had to go on PAT until he was better.  He told us that a very high majority of them had stories of chronic injuries or instructors who 'had it out' for them.  However, there are, as I said, legitimate people there too, like my friend.

Yes, there are some that have legit injuries, however there are a lot of MIRC's, which makes it hard for those with real pain. The stigma involved with going to the MIR for an injury causes some to not go to the MIR thus making the injury worse.

PO2FinClk said:

Right now PRETC holds "Purple Trades".  There are/have been rumors of Kingston trades (ie Sig Op) going back there and PATs from CFSATE coming to PRETC.  Nothing has been written in stone yet.  The fol trades are at PRETC: (I may have missed a couple)

RMS
Medic
MP
Sig Op
Ammo Tech
MSE Op
Traffic Tech
Supply Tech
ATIS
LCIS
Fire Fighter
Comm Research
Wpns Tech (land)
Lineman
Geo Tech
EO Tech

In answer to your other question.  A reduction of students would only reduce the work load of the staff when it comes to paper work.  The remaining students would not be affected either way by a reductions.  As I stated in an earlier post, our goal is to get the students on their QL3 ASAP or at least employed somewhere in their trade.

Chapeski said:
There is a massive difference between the PAT Platoon in St-Jean, and PRETC here in Borden. True, most people prefer not to be on either, but one would rather be on PRETC than PAT because PRETC means you are one step closer to your 3's. Also, the stigma of PAT in St-Jean is that it's filled with a bunch of fakers and whiners that don't want to do the work. Now, having not been on PAT there myself I don't know how true it is, however I've seen some people on it, and I really don't think they wanted to do any work.

Hear hear! Once when I was on duty at the Green Desk (shudder) in St. Jean the Sgt on duty launched into a 15 minute tirade about how I should be concentrating on my training and have the PATs who were gallivanting to the mess take my spot. Somehow he seemed to be blaming me for this lapse of CFLRS policy. :-\ He had some choice words, and his little rampage was nothing short of breathtaking.

Aircanuck is definitely right about the good people who have issues requiring them to be on PAT, but they are a frustrating group for the most part. IMHO, it actually creates a danger, because as Chapeski pointed out, some people tend to gut out injuries that should be getting looked at for fear of being an MIR weeny.

RTaylor said:
That's pretty nice of you to offer that SGT, I'd love to see a sub board like that ran by someone who has work directly relating to the PRETC, because I know after I'm done basic and waiting for my AVS / POET training I'd love to have info about it.

Of course, you should probably be more interested in info on CFSATE, where you would be on PAT, being an airforce trade...

benny88 said:
IMHO, it actually creates a danger, because as Chapeski pointed out, some people tend to gut out injuries that should be getting looked at for fear of being an MIR weeny.

I was reluctant to have my ankles checked out until after my week 12 training was completed for fear of re-course. When I came to Borden I was in quite a lot of pain and had a hard time walking. I almost had a stroke when I was slated for an SQ spot, my fear was becoming a cripple. I was very reluctant to get it checked out for fear of being called a MIRC. In fact one fellow had the nerve to say that while I was waiting transport to physio. Needless to say I had some choice words for him, but I still fear the MIRC stigma, and it seems to be everywhere.

Back to regular programming, the PRETC staff, the good SGT in fact helped find me my placement while I healed, which proved to be an incredible experience. I can't say enough good thing about the staff and the miracles they pull off.

Just a little note - numbers at PRETC are closer to 700 now, of those about 100 work on Base Borden in various jobs, the rest are either doing training like Driver Wheeled, SQ, POET, BAEC, CET and so on or employed across Canada on taskings to support training or operational units. Hard Air Trades don't come to PRETC - CFSATE takes care of them.
Some trades do wait longer here than others - this is in part due to the complexity and length of the QL3s and the number of course starts. For example, Geo Techs go off to college each September, so if you get to PRETC in April, you'll wait until August to clear out and go on course. RMS Clerks on the ther hand may arrive one week and find themselves on course less than a month later. It is very fluid at PRETC and things change on a daily basis, but the #1 priority is to get you on your 3s as soon as possible.

Back