• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRETC thread (merged)

One thing that really alarms me is the reception that some have gotten from their inquires about how to make the most of PRETC or (gasp!) improve it.

I really hate the "suck it up", "because I did it" or "that's the way it is" responses to valid questions.  If it really was a "'cause I don't wanna" attitude then fine and there is a time to just suck it up and soldier on but .... PRETC is a waste of time PERIOD.  We talk about how we need more people and yet hundreds languish there doing next to nothing.

There are worse jobs we could be doing but that attitude is going to lose us valuable people that can easily move to Alberta and make 2 or 3 times more, be challenged and not sit around all day waiting for the rocks to dry.  I talked with an HR friend at Xmas in Calgary and he didn't know how to attract employees because when he started people begged him for a job at the company (he was used to getting his behind kissed) but now he has to work to attract employees.  Same with the CF, if you want to retain good employees, you've got to start thinking of them (hmmmm, isn't that one of the ten principles of leadership!!)

Wingman said:
  We talk about how we need more people and yet hundreds languish there doing next to nothing.

What would you do with them then ?

(hmmmm, isn't that one of the ten principles of leadership!!)

Alot of us here have been doing this alot longer than you, be careful who you lecture on leadership.

though, cdnaviator - while experience does count for a whole lot, innovation is often brought about by people who do -not- do things the "old" or "routine" way.
It doesn't mean experienced people can't innovate, but it can often be harder for them to.

Now, whether innovation in all aspects of the military is a good thing; thats an entirely different issue.

Meridian said:
though, cdnaviator - while experience does count for a whole lot, innovation is often brought about by people who do -not- do things the "old" or "routine" way.
It doesn't mean experienced people can't innovate, but it can often be harder for them to.

Now, whether innovation in all aspects of the military is a good thing; thats an entirely different issue.

My point was that while new people cant quote the principles very well....they are rarely experienced in their application........and should thus be careful throwing around comments like his.

Now...back to PRETC........If its a problem...lets hear some solutions ? what do we do with people waiting for training ?

cdnaviator said:
My point was that while new people cant quote the principles very well....they are rarely experienced in their application........and should thus be careful throwing around comments like his.

Now...back to PRETC........If its a problem...lets hear some solutions ? what do we do with people waiting for training ?

Point taken.  Again, back to the discussion... what do we do... and really; in the end, is it worthwhile to enroll all these people for them to use up 1/3 of their Initial Engagement sitting around sweeping hangar floors? 

I'd also be curious to know just what the real numbers are... how many people are getting courses they can use in their careers, and how many people are just sitting around whining because its the easiest thing to do?

It's been discussed before in other threads the reasons for the hold-up for courses: lack of training/classroom space, lack of instructors etc.  So it doesn't sound like that is going to get them moving off of PRETC any faster.  But what can they be gainfully employed doing then?  I mean, sure, you can get familiar with your trade, but you're always told to unlearn what you've learned when you get to your 3's.

A solution would be to slow down recruiting, but that has been proven to get people frustrated as well, and simply give up on the process.  So now you have them sitting in PRETC, BMQ qualified and waiting and waiting.  I've never been in the situation, so I can't think of what they could be doing instead, but I am curious to some ideas that must be floating around in the gray matter out there.

For the record...."know your men and promote their welfare" does not always mean "give the troops what they want"

I too will be one of the recent add ons to PRETC after Christmas leave and this is the most insight I have received about PRETC. It doesn't thrill me that I'm going to be going on PRETC, but hearing that there are taskings and things to do makes me a little less weary of PRETC.

As for solutions; I'm too new to the military to understand the whys ( and know all to well not to ask them), but it seems that when i was recruited and those that followed, the demand for the trades offered were greater than the spots availible at the schools. So the question is: which route to take? Slow recruitment to a reasonable pace that the school can handle...or increase the schools capacity of students.

Both will take at least (and this is a moron's guess) 15 or so years to establish effectively...so looks like PRETC is not going anywhere fast.

So the 2 options that seem viable are A) suck it up and wait it out like a good soldier or B) Try and change your situation. If you don't like PRETC, take some initiative and keep occupied or bring solutions to your superiors ( risky in itself...but who knows? ???).

Whatever the case, the CF has provided more than i could ever ask for....and after the numerous shit jobs (some including the first part) i worked before i got here...PRETC is a dream.

rmc_wannabe said:
I too will be one of the recent add ons to PRETC after Christmas leave and this is the most insight I have received about PRETC. It doesn't thrill me that I'm going to be going on PRETC, but hearing that there are taskings and things to do makes me a little less weary of PRETC.

Thought I would re-visit this after starting on PRETC last Monday. I was in for eight years before so my insight comes from one who's been through the process.

The NCO's at  PRETC have the most patience I have ever seen...period, and they manager to maintain a sense of humor.  For those who are new, think about one thing. Somebody doesn't sign out and goes to MIR. It may take an NCO four hours to track that person down because they have to be accounted for. That's four hours away from the rest of the troops. If you were in their shoes for an hour you wouldn't b!tch about your situation.

I won't make the "suck it up speech" because for those bitching about being there it doesn't take anyway. I can tell you that with the opportunity for taskings, 2 easy inspections a week, lots of PT and having NCO's and officers who are actually trying to find things for you to do and keep you occupied (contrary to what you think they have your best interests in mind)  PRETC is not a bad gig at all.

Perspective...I saw nobody at PRETC having to bathe with baby wipes or getting shot at....it could be a lot worse.

Once your courses start I guarantee things won't be so easy so enjoy it and try to get something out of it.

spud

Hopefully this will not come across as a "Wah wah" .. just curious to know if the rumour is perhaps true.  Do members attending Military Police Academy in near future (2 months) get tasked out to the local MP units at Borden?

Canadian_MP said:
Hopefully this will not come across as a "Wah wah" .. just curious to know if the rumour is perhaps true.  Do members attending Military Police Academy in near future (2 months) get tasked out to the local MP units at Borden?

If you are an MP awaiting training at PRETC, they will try to get you on a ride-along with the local MP Det or use you as an actor for MP training purposes at the academy.  But since you are part of PRETC, their staff have the final say whether you go or not.  It depends on what training PRETC has planned for you.

Well folks, don't know who else is going to be heading to Borden on this Sunday but I'll be there... Reporting in for PRETC, posted to Kingston, atatched to Borden... That whole rigamarole! Going to make the most of it and enjoy the base food again (yes, I love the food actually...)

Anyone else from this site going???

I'm unfornatly working there, well at least, in the OR. Oh what fun. Actually its not that bad, the only advice I can give to anyone is to get a tasking as quickly as possible, dont turn into one of the MIR Commando's or just sit on the floor. Do something and time will pass more quickly, and hey you might just learn something

I'm on PRETC!

I think it's a waste of time, to be honest. What we do: PT in the morning, PT in the afternoon. Haha. Well, I guess that's good for you in a way. And yeah, it's a reallllyyy good idea to get a tasking, or else you'll be pretty bored. Get used to standing in the ranks for a lonnngg time everyday. There are just too many students, and too little staff, for things to get done quickly, so it's just a hurry up and wait forever type of deal. Hopefully, no one has to stay there for more than a few months. I know people who have been there for one - two years already.  ???

Good luck to everyone on PRETC! Hope you start your courses soon and get posted to where you want :)  :salute:

Yeah when we were dismissed last Thursday, Sgt. *Bleep* said that there were just over 800 people posted in some fashion or another to PRETC, and 51 staff... And most of that is people we don't see obviously... That's just rediculous! They do make a good point of showing that they are doing thier best. Well, I've only been there for 1 week and simply just been doing paperwork for the most part, but I can see the mess it can be...

I can't wait for this week actually, I'll be able to do something... Going rapelling on Tues with a certain MCpl who is doing a rapel refresher and I volunteered as one of the 5... I'm going to volunteer for everything I can get my hands on, my course (Sig Op) doesn't apparently start until AUGUST.... So I'll be there for awhile...  :-\

Good luck to those joining us, remember - HURRY UP AND BLOODY WAIT!
:warstory:

R215 Pte Joe said:
Well, I've only been there for 1 week and simply just been doing paperwork for the most part, but I can see the mess it can be...

Just give it time. You'll really see how big of a mess it really can be the longer your there. Take any taskings that get you away from that bloody place

i'm currently there now and will be for probably another 5 months or until i get back on my course. basically you gotta make the best out of what it is. yeah it's not that exciting but my best advice is try to get on taskings as quick as possible or even OJT. on the brighter side if you are BMQ bypass it's a more relaxed way of getting your skills back upto what is required. i've found the staff there helpful in my cases although depends on if you give them a hard time i guess.

and a little message for jager make sure they don't screw up my posting to kingston again :threat: i'm sick of going up them steps to find out whats going on

Well, been there almost a month now on PRETC and getting the hang of it... In a manner of speaking... So far I've gone on taskings with the Military Police (Fun!), and Med Techs (QL3 training and a QL5 field ex!) - both were interesting and I learned something from each. Also I went rapelling for the first time on the rappel tower... It really is what you make of it. I've gotten lots of time at the gym and played some sports, worked out. I can't complain that much except I wish my girlfriend was up there with me. And she did come up and visit for 3 days 2 nights...  ;D

All in all, if you want to do things and go places, you can it seems. If you want to sit in the background and be idle and just dissapear/relax and not gain anything from it, you can. There seem to be no in-between people really!

Anyone who IS comming, make sure you bring something for the down time and don't go drinking every night at the H or O Clubs, waste of your money and time and brain cells... A computer is great, so are books, hobbies, working out!

Goodluck,
Joe

My BMQ finishes Aug 14th and from the sounds of things I'll be put in PRETC for a while, whatever, it's part of the process I get that, and from what I've heard I've definately had worse jobs.  As far as working out goes, I'll take the opportunity every chance I get...I have a light case of hypergymnasia I think!  ;D

Aside from taskings do you have a fair amount of free time to workout?  It would be nice to get 2-3 hours a day (total, but at different times if possible, ex running in am, weights in pm) although I'd be happy with whatever I can get.
Plus what facilities do they have there? i.e. pool, running trails, punching bag, gym?  The rappel tower sounds cool, I hope I get to work that a lil' bit!!  Also are there ropes there (suspended from a ceiling) I would love to rip the lats up with a few up and downs on those bad boys!!

luckystrike: out :salute:

Back