• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRETC thread (merged)

You will have evenings off, starting 1530-1630 and as long as the week goes well, Friday afternoons. First timing is mostly 7-730, so you could run before that if you want.

In the am, we are usually doing some form of PT in T-83, but its not a choose your own pt kind of thing. Usually a run, 'unarmed combat', PSP directed, or something special like mountain biking.

As for facilities, all of the above. Pool, racquetball courts, gym with indoor track, weight room, cardio room, stationary bike room, outdoor tracks, baseball and soccer fields, running/biking trails... I'm sure I'm missing something - but there is plenty to do to stay fit here.

As was said, its what you make of it... theres some real friggin cool taskings lately... almost wish I wasn't going on course next week. ALMOST. Just don't get sucked into joining the shitepumps.

Thanks for the info klc.  As long as there is constant PT I personally don't see how it can be all that, "bad/boring/WTF ever".  From what I've got from this thread is that your time spent there is in large part up to you, and the only reason people can't find anything to do is because of the ever dreaded shitpumpism.  Man in all honesty it's not like I'm looking forward to PRETC but if it's an option for an unqualified soldier to better themselves physically, then there's nothing to complain about!!  Your getting paid...fed...clothed and weekends off?!?!?  And your job is to workout, mountainbike, repel and do the odd chores to keep yourself busy.  For the love of god man, that sounds a hell of a lot like highschool to me...which from what I remember wasn't too friggen bad at all...more like some of the best years of my life!!
Shitpumps all go to hell as far as I'm concerned!!! But that's just my 2 c

luckystrike said:
...As long as there is constant PT I personally don't see how it can be all that, "bad/boring/WTF ever"...

You'll learn. 

As for becoming a pump, it's usually the pumps that are the last to know what they've become.

Army News did a report on PRETC
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=1809

Uhmm.. Sorry to resurrect after a month, but I just watched that Army News video...  Did he say there were 2 soldiers from PRETC deployed to A-Stan?

My huge *guess* would be that these guys (or gals) were previously MOC trained and are coming back through for a different MOC?  Else, what kind of deployed employability does a recruit untrained have after BMQ?

I was wondering the same thing, I don't even see the wisdom in sending recruits from PRETC over to Afghanistan. I knew people who were there for a year, year and a half, some really didn't have much of a choice since their courses were so spaced out [LCIS].

You'll learn. 

As for becoming a pump, it's usually the pumps that are the last to know what they've become.

Their was one guy that was there who was on PAT platoon in St Jean for 6 months, and now he's into year three in the CF, and has done no other courses. It's somewhat distressing to see the state of some of the people who decide to stick around on PRETC simply because of the paycheque.

After talking with a Master Cpl at PRETC on a tasking he stated for any PRETC troops to be considered for A-stan taskings they did have to be qualified in a previous MOC.

Can reservists be posted to PRETC for the summer, if no courses are available for them?

There are always GD positions that you can try and get.
as well as Field Trg, Random course support positions etc

Spartan said:
There are always GD positions that you can try and get.
as well as Field Trg, Random course support positions etc

The good old coffee serving tasking in nunavut, yea so I've been told lol.

Sigs Guy said:
Their was one guy that was there who was on PAT platoon in St Jean for 6 months, and now he's into year three in the CF, and has done no other courses. It's somewhat distressing to see the state of some of the people who decide to stick around on PRETC simply because of the paycheque.

That was due to an injury that occured during basic.  That member was waiting for a medical release, I believe he's gone in November this year.

Can reservists be posted to PRETC for the summer, if no courses are available for them?

I don't remember any reservist recruits at PRETC while I was there. However I would hope for your sake that they don't send you there.

That was due to an injury that occured during basic.  That member was waiting for a medical release, I believe he's gone in November this year.

Good news for the CF.

The only Reservists in PRETC are filling staff positions, doubt theres many positions open there since I saw a lot of the same staff on that video that were there when I was in PRETC.   Everyone else on PRETC is Reg Force pers awaiting their POET or EME Common Course and/or QL3 course.

Sigs Guy, theres a lot of people that have been on PRETC for a couple of years. 

Yeah I know, I think that LCIS is the worst in terms on how long personnel have to stay of PRETC for, I think that some get their QL3's completed only a few months before their contract is up. My own view is that the current system has to be cleaned up and the CF ought to find a way to make the training process seamless so that once one is done a portion of their training they can shortly go onto the next phase with little time in between. At the very least if you are going to have people on holding platoons attempt to put them at bases which are doing their QL3's so they can have an idea of what to expect when their course comes around and can even do duties at a school or possibly at a unit.

It really sounds like a lot of you have never even experienced this "battalion of idiots". Try staying there for 12 months being told that you're going to get all these qualifications and get absolutely nothing out of it. Why would anyone who just joined the military have a good mindset about doing crap like that. I was almost ready to release just because of my stay there. It made me wonder if the rest of the military operates like that, and to my surprise some units actually do. PRETC was the absolute most pointless year that I've had in MY LIFE, not only military career. And for anyone that glorifies it has either never stayed there for an extended period, or is an apple polishing piece of crap that the majority of the military despises.

Just wanted to clarify that wasnt me, it was my husband. I left the site on the screen and I guess he saw it when he was on.

KrissyJ said:
Just wanted to clarify that wasnt me, it was my husband. I left the site on the screen and I guess he saw it when he was on.

::)  We have heard that excuse before.  It doesn't wash.  Take the time now to admit to something,................... perhaps a SERIOUS SECURITY VIOLATION. 

You can believe what you'd like, if you read my posts that is not my writing style and also I have no experience in the military or on PRETC, I was in chat last night talking about what my recruiter told me about PAT platoon as he called it, and how there was 800 people on it and not to expect to be home anytime under a year unless I get lucky. As for a security breech or whatever I have no idea. Direct any comments and questions to him if your really concerned. I can get him to make his own account.

::)

It is called "a little bit of INTERNET SECURITY".

Much like giving your friend your Bank Account PIN Number.  Would you do that?

If your referring to him using my account, I left it on because I was browsing a thread and then I went out and forgot. This computer is our family laptop, only my husband and I use it so ofcourse I dont feel bad leaving it left on. Did I expect him to come across it? Not really because he has his own computer but he did, end of story. Would I give my friend my bank pin? Ofcourse not, what kind of question is that? Would I give it to my husband, he has it already. Either way it was a mistake, he saw this page, he was interested in reading it and then he decided without talking to me, to post. Done. Delete it if you want.

Back