• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Preparatory Year

cpl-cam

Inactive
Reaction score
I was looking at the St. Jean website about the prep year and noticed there's only 31 staff. This got me thinking and I was just wondering how many people take this prep year and of those people how many are not from Quebec. I was just curious what the chances are of me actually being accepted.

I was also wondering about the prep year, why would someone have to go the prep year instead of going directly into RMC?

andpro said:
I was also wondering about the prep year, why would someone have to go the prep year instead of going directly into RMC?

It is because their marks are not good enough to get them straight into RMC.

F/Sgt Kessler said:
I was looking at the St. Jean website about the prep year and noticed there's only 31 staff. This got me thinking and I was just wondering how many people take this prep year and of those people how many are not from Quebec. I was just curious what the chances are of me actually being accepted.

138 Junior positions were available for this campaign and many of them come from other provinces besides Quecbec.

Well my marks are not bad at all. I like to think that it was my inability in bilingualism. But I might be just trying to make myself feel better.

and many of them come from other provinces besides Quecbec.

Me, for one.  ;D

kincanucks said:
I understand you have to get at least 80 on all your core courses in order to be competitive to go straight into RMC. But by saying not good enough, what marks exactly are we talking about here? 75? 70?

70 - 79 with strong military potential make it to Prep year.  70-79 with weak military potential make it to the wait list.

Does the prep year lead only to RMC or could it also lead to ROTP at a civi university?

F/Sgt Kessler said:
Does the prep year lead only to RMC or could it also lead to ROTP at a civi university?

WHAT?

That is seriously the DAP of the year. 

"The preparatory year at Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, provides an academic bridge to RMC. "

kincanucks said:

I always understood that is was the result of the academic standards being lower in other provinces. For example, Quebec students completing Sec 5 would be relative to a gr 11 student in Ontario, and similar correlations between the maritime and western provinces

Quebec students have to complete CEGEP 1 which is equivalent to grade 12. I heard a lot of Quebec students go there because of the language gap. is this true?

Scott937 said:
I always understood that is was the result of the academic standards being lower in other provinces. For example, Quebec students completing Sec 5 would be relative to a gr 11 student in Ontario, and similar correlations between the maritime and western provinces

Yes Yes all that and It is because their marks are not good enough to get them straight into RMC.

kincanucks said:
WHAT?

That is seriously the DAP of the year.  

"The preparatory year at Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, provides an academic bridge to RMC. "
Well, according to urban dictionary it means dumb as possible and I don't really appreciate that. Considering half the recruiting websites refer only to RMC when it comes to ROTP and not a civi university and I wanted to double check to make sure this was not one of those situations. You are a recruiter and people are supposed to be able to approach you to ask questions I hope you're more poliet in public. If you really don't like my question then ignore it.

F/Sgt Kessler said:
Well, according to urban dictionary it means dumb as possible and I don't really appreciate that. Considering half the recruiting websites refer only to RMC when it comes to ROTP and not a civi university and I wanted to double check to make sure this was not one of those situations. You are a recruiter and people are supposed to be able to approach you to ask questions I hope you're more poliet in public. If you really don't like my question then ignore it.

Well actually it doesn't mean dumb as possible and if you had done your research properly (checked the RMC website) you would have found your answer but I guess I expect too much common sense out of people.

kincanucks said:
Well actually it doesn't mean dumb as possible and if you had done your research properly (checked the RMC website) you would have found your answer but I guess I expect too much common sense out of people.

Why must a person exhaust every other possible avenue to find something out before asking here?  Is Army.ca to be only the information source of desperate last resort?

I already explained that I was double checking that when they said RMC they meant only RMC and ROTP too. If you read my post carefully and put some thought in before you responded you would realize that I knew the text on the site (I read the whole RMC and Pre year site) said "RMC" and was I double checking. You don't have to jump down my throat because I asked something and you CHOSE to respond. Anyways, I'm not interested in starting a flame war here so now that I have my answers I'm off to some other thread.

F/Sgt Kessler said:
I already explained that I was double checking that when they said RMC they meant only RMC and ROTP too. If you read my post carefully and put some thought in before you responded you would realize that I knew the text on the site (I read the whole RMC and Pre year site) said "RMC" and was I double checking. You don't have to jump down my throat because I asked something and you CHOSE to respond. Anyways, I'm not interested in starting a flame war here so now that I have my answers I'm off to some other thread.

Yes that is exactly why they write something like this:

so when someone reads that statement they say to themselves "I wonder if they mean only RMC".

Yes, I can see where you would think that satement was ambiguous and want to have some clarification. ???

put some thought in   :eek: Off you go then and good luck with that.

Back