• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Poll: What do you think of the changes?

What do you think of the changes?

• Total voters
Hi Willy,

Thanks for the feedback. (And you're not out of line...all feedback is good, it helps form a more complete picture.) It was certainly not a "clear cut" decision to enable ratings. There are really two questions to look at with regards to the rating system:

1. Will people use the system to effectively rate the contributions (or detractions) of other users here?

While my hope is that it will be strictly used to encourage contribution and discourage trolling, I have no illusions that it will also be used as a personal vendetta device. That's unfortunate, but there's little we can do about it short of disabling ratings all together. (As a matter of principle, I hate to let the "few abusers" force the rest of us to get along with one less feature...)

In the old system, you could rate a user from 1-5 only once, and had to live with that. The new system allows you to rate a user multiple times  (with a one hour mandatory "cooling off" period in between). There are pros and cons to that: if someone is able to change their ways (for better or worse) you're no longer forced to live with your initial assessment of the user.

My rule of thumb: Whenever I see a post that's informative, useful, entertaining, etc I give the poster a positive rating. When I see someone dishing out personal attacks or taking a thread off topic, they get a negative. I don't (consciously) let personal opinions come into play.

As a mitigating factor, you must have at least 25 posts here before you can rate someone else. That won't prevent abuse, but it'll require that you've been here for a while before you can start throwing punches.  I give out 3-4 positive ratings for every negative, though I'm not sure if that's a function of the posts I read or a subconscious decision to stay positive.

2. What is the impact of a user's rating?

This is key. Ratings are used by the staff here to judge a user's standing, but only in part. That is, nobody's going to stay or inflict punitive action based on ratings. It's always based on a user's specific actions. Having said that, a strong trend in one direction or the other can help us form a clearer picture of a user's general standing. We're aware that ratings may be skewed by mudslinging and that it may turn into a popularity contest, and so we weigh it accordingly.

How others interpret a user's ratings is up for debate, but you can assume they put a bit more stock into the facts posted by someone with a positive trend, and look with a bit more skepticism on those from someone with a negative trend.

The danger in dropping the rating system is that there's no way for the general population to reward good behaviour and punish bad. I'm hoping that it will act as an incentive (no matter how small) and nudge people in the "right" direction in terms of forum behaviour.

Feel free to demote me if you disagree. ;)

And to your point about recent posts: You're absolutely right. There have been too many threads degrade into a name calling match. Everone needs to be aware that personal attacks are against forum policy and will not be tolerated. Action will be taken against users who breach the conduct guidelines.

Cheers
Mike

Mike,

I have to agree with Willy about the ratings.  I've engaged in no name-calling and attempted to provide intelligent comment in all my posts and yet have managed to collect three 'demote' votes.  I'm not concerned about that, but it does show that some folks are using the demote button to express displeasure with an opinion.

The idea of such a rating system is intriguing, but I don't think it will work for the general group.  Why not limit it to the moderators?  Or some other identifiable group who have demonstrated restraint and fairness in their own posts. 

Just a thought.  You know what those are worth.  :)

I think the upgrades here on the site are great. It just takes a bit of time to get familiar to navigating, but its evolving, and making it better for us all. Thanks to Mike for his continuing support.

As for the promote/demote. I too am comfortable with that also, but less than a few days ago, I had no demotes, but if someone wants to punish me over my opinion, I am cool with that too.

I enjoy this site very much, and everyone on here, no matter what, overall, contributes manily positive and informative posts, some which generate much passion and heat.

Cheers,

Wes

I've been 'demoted' because of my objective opionions alot, but personally, I don't bother with the rating system because I know it turns out to be a vendetta device like Mike stated.

A suggestion though, if you are keeping it, is it possible to only be able to promote/demote a single post only once? Right now you can promote/demote any single post as many times as you like, as long as you wait an hour.

My company I work for right now has a message board with a few million users, the way they work the rating system is, that in the persons profile you see the sum of all promotes/demotes, but each post has its own sum of promotes/demotes displayed to the left of the post, and readers rate the specific post, instead of the user. The users rating is a sum of all of his/her ratings for posts.

If you'd like to see what I mean, I can direct you to that message board.

Anywho, just a suggestion about the ratings.

I like the idea of rating threads as well as individuals... Unfortunately, it's not an option at the moment, but it may be added some point down the road...

I am in agreement with the others on the promote/demote issue: it's used indiscriminately to "punish" those that have strong opinions. I have noticed that Wesley Allen has gotten many "demotions" and some form of a warning as well, and even though he and I have had disagreements over issues and opinions in the past, I can't see any of his posts that would merit him being put on warning. Having said that, if you click on the part where it says that they are on "warning", it should link to the post(s) that meritted the warning. As well, when someone promotes/demotes someone, it should be like the eBay feedback function, and you have to justify why you promoted/demoted someone, and a chance for the person to defend themselves. I think there would be a lot less cowardly snipes at people that way.

Just some thoughts that may help improve an otherwise excellent forum (you can't control the yahoo's who come in until it's too late sometimes......)

Al

Goober said:
I've been 'demoted' because of my objective *opionions alot, but personally, I don't bother with the rating system because I know it turns out to be a vendetta device like Mike stated.
You have been demoted in the past mostly for personal attacks and insults directed at other board members, primarily during your first 20 or so posts, Feel Free to PM me if you want to find out exactly where you got the most, I can give you examples. It should be pretty obvious to anyone what kind of posts cause demotions, or promotions for that matter. (this goes for anyone)

In fact, this post will probably give me one from Goober

I believe the rating system is a great idea, as it serves to let you know when your opinions are not agreed with, or you are being inappropriate on the forums. It is also a feature that serves to limit the stupidity factor on the site, because users know that their controversial posts will merit demotion, and therefore change the content to a more appropriate level.

* Please spell check before posting (Pet Peeve)

I'll PM you and show you only 1 of my 66 posts so far can be seen as a personal attack, which I let anger get the best of me. Anyway lets not hiack this thread.

I have a suggestion: Even though my last major suggestion went over like a fart in church (people using their real names vs the ever "kewl" and anonymous nickname), some people dared to be different and now use their real name (yay for me!!!). After reading some of the suggestions in the Recruiting forum, it is painfully obvious to me (and others) that some of those that reply to those not in the know (ie. prospective CF recruits) don't know squat about the military. But, those people (civilians) that don't know a Master Corporal from a Master Gunner can't decipher all the TLA's (three letter acronyms) and other cryptic initials that we use to identify our units.

So my proposal is this: in the profile (which should be displayed below the persons name or "handle"), it should be mandatory to put your relation to the military: Regular Force, Reserves, Cadet, Civilian, Retired Military, Foreign (ie. not Canadian) military, Coast Guard, etc. This may (or may not) help those people who are trying to find out (good) answers determine if they should be listening to the person replying. Yes, before everybody gets their boxer-briefs in a knot, I realize there are stunned-ass Reg Force guys who don't know squat, and super switched on Reservists that know the secrets of the universe, but I think it could help.

Again, there will be dissenters, and watch my "demotion" score plummet, but I feel I must carry on in the tradition of Don Quixote, and keep tilting against windmills.....

Al

I'm too new hear to comment on any changes.  But I do have a request.  When you modify your profile, there is a place to put a rank, unit, brigade and so on.  However, could there be something for old retired fogies like me? 

Although I am a pussy eyed flat faced civilian,  I did wear a uniform for 27 years.  And I still work in the defense industry.

Hi Lance,

Feel free to put "Ret'd" after your rank, or provide details in the Military Experience field... It's all free form, so you can provide as much (or as little) info as you desire.

Which ties in nicely with Allan's comments... The fields mentioned above are useful here. That is, when trying to judge a person's relative credibility, these fields are key. If they're blank or sketchy, it's safe to give them a little less credibility than if they're completed and thorough. Likewise, ratings may be another (albeit controversial) indicator. Put all this together, and you start to get a picture of a person's overall credibility here.

I know it's not perfect, but it's information that can help...

Thanks, Mike

I wasn't sure how much information could be put in, and I thought that we were stuck with the choices there.

Silly of me.

But I'm happier now, I have more information beside my name, anyway!

Back