• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Poll: Pay to go to cadets or not

Do you think we should pay to go to cadets?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • No.

Votes: 74 79.6%
  • It depends on the amount of money we have to pay.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters

beyondsblue

Inactive
Reaction score
British cadets have to pay to join cadets and it's fairly expensive from what I've heard. However, they do get to do more exciting things than us. So, do you think Canadian cadets should pay, too (no money, no funny)?

No, people shouldn't have to pay, it's an oppurtunity(sp?) for young kids to get involved in something and do things they might not otherwise have the chance, or money to do, cadets should remain free.

When I was in school I was part of the Combined Cadet Force UK.  We never paid.  Maybe things have changed.

Crazy_Eyes said:
No, people shouldn't have to pay, it's an oppurtunity(sp?) for young kids to get involved in something and do things they might not otherwise have the chance, or money to do, cadets should remain free.

This is exactly why it should ramain the way it is. Good job!  :salute:

I dont think people should have to pay... but...

I feel that cadets that refuse to support their corp by doing fundraising (such as taggin and selling chocolate or w/e) should be excluded from special activities. Such as things like non-training outings.

Just my opinion

Sgt. Crowe

That's a good idea, as a matter of fact, they already are at my sqn!  >:D

My corps functions on a first come first serve basis... On the extra things (that arnt training based) normaly just take 10-20ppl.

But, things will be rapidly changing once my current CO leaves the corp and the new is moved in. Personaly I cant wait for this change, the new CO is a GREAT guy. He has great plans and idea's for our corps and is very open to idea's and sugestions.

Sgt. Crowe

allot of people get there comunity service hours through cadets. if you were to pay cadet than they would not get those hours. also don't you think that it may also make them not want to go to camp as much. i know a lot of people that look forward to camp because you get money and you get to have fun at the same time.

also if you were to pay cadets than the cadet program would be far worse because they would have to take money out of our training to pay the cadets.

:cdn: :salute::tank: ( ever notice how this smiley is saluting with out a headdress tsk tsk)

-Hutch- said:
allot of people get there comunity service hours through cadets. if you were to pay cadet than they would not get those hours. also don't you think that it may also make them not want to go to camp as much. i know a lot of people that look forward to camp because you get money and you get to have fun at the same time.

also if you were to pay cadets than the cadet program would be far worse because they would have to take money out of our training to pay the cadets.

:cdn: :salute::tank: ( ever notice how this smiley is saluting with out a headdress tsk tsk)
Hutch, please read the initial post, if you do, you will notice that the question is not paying the cadet, but the cadet paying to attend.

Nic

The Canadian Cadet movement is fine the way it is, if kids had to pay, it would turn them away from joining, some families can't really afford to pay to have their kids goto cadets, plus they get fine enough training now a days for what cadets has become.

Big Bad John said:
When I was in school I was part of the Combined Cadet Force UK.  We never paid.  Maybe things have changed.

I was in the CCF (Army of course!) up until a few years ago, and yes they have started to charge you now. Not very much, just enough to cover anything that they didnt get funding on.... i.e. the officers beer money  :mad:

oops
i really mis read that one didn't i :-[. i still made some good points on reasons not to pay cadets though didn't i lol :p

but in that case i would of never been in cadets if i had to pay. i am not what i would call one of the most wealthy people i know. i happen to know a couple of people that joined cadets to make money at camp and to have something to occupy there time because they can not afford any really expensive or slightly expensive activities. i.e hockey, lacrosse and what ever sports you have to pay big bucks to join.

Morgs said:
I was in the CCF (Army of course!) up until a few years ago, and yes they have started to charge you now. Not very much, just enough to cover anything that they didnt get funding on.... i.e. the officers beer money    :mad:

That is horrible!  I know that the Marines support 7 Corps.  45 Cdo passed around the hat two or three times a year for the Cadets.  Some of the lads volunteered their time.

The US Young Marine Cadets also have to pay for membership and yearly fees (as far as I know).   When I went on my cadet exchange, the Canadians were the only ones getting paid (the British cadets had to pay for half their airfare) .... really we have it the best in that aspect.   Cadets being free is what distinguishes it from most other youth programs (karate, sports, etc) and its probably one of the most valuable youth programs out there.

Also  :salute: is not only saluting without a headdress .... but with the LEFT hand!

Big Bad John said:
That is horrible!  I know that the Marines support 7 Corps.  45 Cdo passed around the hat two or three times a year for the Cadets.  Some of the lads volunteered their time.

I suppose i should clarify a bit... We didn't get charged for every parade, but we did get charged for going on camps. Like i said, it wasnt very much, about 20 quid for a 10 day camp and those who couldnt afford it were exemt from that fee. Yeah it still took away from spending money but meh, it was worth it!!!  :salute:

A friend of mine was a British Army Cadet. It's part of the school program and you get credits for it. But she had pay over $2000 a year. Probably because she was an international student?

Personally if it had cost money to go into cadets I would have never been in.  The best thing about cadets is that noone, regardless of family income, can be excluded. 

i think cadets should pay like a VERY minisule fee every year to get us better training and equipment. i know a local aircadet sqn that requires you to pay 50 bucks a year and they have MUCH better training and stuff then us.

you get better training in the reserves than those air cadets would. so why not stick to the reserves for the extremely funded training activities. just a thought

I think C-17's idea would be a good one. Cadets would have to pay a wee bit to do a bit more. I know my corp does that for certain things. We go to a hunting lodge in Hunstville where we do things like map and compass and shooting, stuff that we can't really do around here. We pay $50 and it's worth it.

Back