• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PM diverts his plane to Cyprus to pick up families, Thats Leadership

toddskam said:
70 troops on their way too: 

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/07/20/lebanon-navy.html

From the CBC article:

'For nine days, Israel has been shelling cities and towns in southern Lebanon in retaliation for a raid by the Lebanon-based militant group Hezbollah that led to two Israeli soldiers being captured.'

Of course, no mention of the opposing actions of Hezbollah, or the fact that they raided Israel and kidnapped, not captured the two soldiers::)

Quote from: von Garvin on Today at 09:25:42
Your post is full of excrement.  But this final sentence tops the list.  I suppose you'd rather have Carolyn Parrish snubbing Bush on "This Hour" and thus souring relations with our greatest trading partner?  Hating the US President because he's the President of the United States is prejudicial.

Where did it say I hated Bush.  Was simply stating that Harper is bringing Canada's foreign policy more and more in line with the US every day.  Completely blaming Hezbollah and validating the Israelis is a mistake in my opinion.  But since that's against the status quo right wing, I guess I'm in the wrong there.

What was our foreign policy before Harper, sit around and be indecisive all the time. No offense but I never ever seem to remember Canada being the bringer of all peace in the world by trying to sit on the sidelines.

Rice0031 said:
I don't understand about the lady who complained about the heat.

Arrghh. I just saw her on the ATV 6pm news - at least I think it is the same one - some lawyer from Halifax yipping about how her chauffer could have taken her elsewhere. Instead the Canadian embassy is submitting her & her family to "starve" while waiting in line.

Segments like this remind me why I get my news from The Daily Show.

Chaos...with people like you no one moves fast enough. HOw fast would it take anyone to get enough ships and planes to ship 30,000 people out of a war zone. Then now thats not good enough no each person has a Canadain home(so Im told) So now what do we do there. Now who feeds them and takes care of these people who choose to live so far away from the people trying to help.
The man stopped and picked up what he could...even if it was a photo op...which I dont think it was ..he still did more then he had too. If these were the Liberials....we'd still be waiting for someone to tell the PM whats going on!!
I'm truly sick of hear all these news reports about how slow we are moving compared to all these other countries. If you go with the numbers they are shooting out, we have alot more people there then most countries.

GINge! said:
Arrghh. I just saw her on the ATV 6pm news - at least I think it is the same one - some lawyer from Halifax yipping about how her chauffer could have taken her elsewhere. Instead the Canadian embassy is submitting her & her family to "starve" while waiting in line.

Segments like this remind me why I get my news from The Daily Show.

I caught a clip of someone whining. Was she the one with the oversized, "look at me, I'm just like a celebrity sunglasses"?? She almost looked like she was going to a bar on Miami's South Beach. I think she was expecting to have been served caviar and after dinner mints.

I also like how she started her statements with "THE CANADIANS are not doing enough" Excuse me? Just what was she?? Did someone mistakenly let  a Saudi Arabian onto one of our evacuation ships?  She delivered the statement in a harsh tone that made it sound like she wasn't even a citizen. "THE" Canadians?? geez

I guess I have just gotten a little fed up with the coverage now. Apparently, just over 1,300 have been evacuated today, yet the few odd passengers that are put on show by the MSM are the ones who just want to ***** and moan about everything.

What the media and some of these people seem to easily forget here is that a travel agent has not been booking passage for them on Carinval Cruise Lines. For all intents and purposes, they are "refugees" fleeing an active war zone.

Canadian evacuees flying back on Harper's plane:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060719/cyprus_evac_060720/20060720?hub=TopStories

Some ingrates along for the ride too.

I'd imagine the whiners could hop a return trip back to Lebanon if they'd like a second shot at getting a better ship.  As always the media will seek out the noisiest and most controversial and go with them.

Wait a minute!  I just re-read my own post and the CTV link.  How come only 63 people vs. 100 are being evacuated and they're flying back to Paris (where the plane actually originated from) to refuel.  I guess Harper didn't like sleeping in an Airbus on the hot Larnaca tarmac.  Cynical me I guess.

I believe that most airlines fly the circumpolar route between Europe and NA. Isn't that what all those dotted lines with little airplanes mean?

What game??  I just wonder about the reasoning behind the decision to initially divert, especially when the plane lands back to refuel where it started from - in Paris?  Makes me think there's a second aircrew/cabin staff  involved here .... ?  Like I said before, I wonder why Harper would take three senior communication officials with him in the first place to Cyprus?

Time for you to do some serious thinking.  As GAP pointed out, it is on the way home, and a full tank of gas before crossing the North Atlantic is a smart thing to do.  If Mulroney hadn't closed down Lahr, they would have refueled in Lahr.  Now please go on "Listening Silence".

I don't know when the last time you flew on a CF aircraft from South Asia or Europe was, but Paris is definitely not a regular refuelling stop for gas. ;)

So? What's your point?  Your post history would be better suited to a politics forum, why parachute in here to bang this particular drum? 

toddskam said:
What game??  I just wonder about the reasoning behind the decision to initially divert, especially when the plane lands back to refuel where it started from - in Paris?  Makes me think there's a second aircrew/cabin staff  involved here .... ?  Like I said before, I wonder why Harper would take three senior communication officials with him in the first place to Cyprus?

And what if there is a second crew? It is not uncommon for a change to take place after the crew day is used up for the initial crew. Really, what is your point? So what, it landed back in France to refuel, this means absolutely nothing at all.

Do you have any better suggestions?  Perhaps Gatwick, Heathrow, Frankfurt, Shannon, ........Paris is one of many.

toddskam said:
I don't know when the last time you flew on a CF aircraft from South Asia or Europe was, but Paris is definitely not a regular refuelling stop for gas. ;)

Paris was indeed a stop when I flew back from Op Pal roto 4.

toddskam said:

So, we can all assume you are aircrew or a frequent traveller on CF aircraft then? Since your profile is virtually empty and you gave no real evidence of what you are stating as fact we have no way of knowing where you  are comming from with your statements.

The point about the skeleton crew (three communication aides) accompanying Harper is that they were supposedly there to cater to the evacuees in place of a shortage of CF personnel for a full 100 passenger flight:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060720.wharper0719/BNStory/National/home

"And some of those aides, including Ms. Buckler and his press aides Dimitris Soudas and Carolyn Stewart-Olsen will be helping to serve meals on the plane."

As for the refuelling of CF aircraft transiting Europe, well let's just say Paris isn't exactly a top destination for fuel.;)

toddskam said:
The point about the skeleton crew (three communication aides) accompanying Harper is that they were supposedly there to cater to the evacuees in place of a shortage of CF personnel for a full 100 passenger flight:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060720.wharper0719/BNStory/National/home

"And some of those aides, including Ms. Buckler and his press aides Dimitris Soudas and Carolyn Stewart-Olsen will be helping to serve meals on the plane."

As for the refuelling of CF aircraft transiting Europe, well let's just say Paris isn't exactly a top destination for fuel.;)

That's not presenting your point, that's simply reiterating available info.

So, I ask again: What is YOUR point?  Why are you pursuing this here at ARMY.CA?

You seem pretty persistent for someone who's only even looked at three threads, and likes to describe himself as 'perhaps' cynical.

Back