• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PM diverts his plane to Cyprus to pick up families, Thats Leadership

Next complaint will be about unsanctioned use of government vehicles.

If they played it right they'd end up at the APOE in Cyprus, prefectly situated to cover the ongoing evacuation and the job FAC (and other government departments) are doing to facilitate it. 

Having said that, if I was one of the many on this site who had a low opinion of the mindset of mainstream media and their "reporters" I would guess that being the PMs media pool they would quickly decide that getting out into the field and actually doing some reporting regarding the common folk would be below them...and they'd offload in France and spend their time complaining of their fate while having the best French cheese with their whine...    >:D

Thanks for that. Good on you Mr. Harper!

Its too bad that it will only be used by critics stating it is "nothing more than a photo op". This has already begun!

Rest assured that our diligent media will probably be wading through those 120 evacuees on landing in Cyprus in order to get a little anti-government rant for this evenings sound bites.

The questioning will probably begin like this......"How do you feel about the thousands of defenceless women & children who were left behind by the Prime Minister"

Callsign Kenny said:
Next complaint will be about unsanctioned use of government vehicles.

Yep....Will probably come from Bill Graham.

PS: Thank you Mr. Harper for restoring some dignity back to the Prime Minister's Office.

Hey man your welcome and yeah your probably right sadly the media is no better than a pack of wild dogs gnawing at a bone

Good on Action Man. At this point Mr Dithers would still be...... well....... dithering, and Cretin share his plane? pffftt.

Jeez, now all those journalists have to fly back coach on the company dime. I wonder how many are going to try claim the trip against the government. To bad we don't have a couple of spare C-17's kicking around

I can just imagine the scene at the airport in France.

"What about Harper, what's so special about him? I gotta stay, why doesn't he. Who's gonna buy me lunch. I don't know where my passport is!!! How do you voulez vous where's the cheapest hotel close to here???" Hey, HEY, I'll sell you this tape recorder for 10 euro OK??."

I don't understand about the lady who complained about the heat.
Our government is trying to get her out of there to save  HER LIFE and the life of her family so that they can live to see another day... and she complains about it being too hot. Well what is it gonna be? Stay home and possibly get bombed, or wait in the slightly uncomfortable, but non life-threatening heat, to be saved? C'mon people!

Quote from: Rory on Today at 12:08:18
Proud day to be Canadian when your own PM detours to Cyprus to help with the hostage evacuation.

Who said anything about hostages? Don't try to make it sound worse than it is. Get your fact s first!! Trying to get promoted?

What are you? A journalist??? 

Sorry if this got confusing. I merged these two subjects and things might be a little out of order. I think it's OK now.

Rory said:
Proud day to be Canadian when your own PM detours to Cyprus to help with the hostage evacuation.

Hostages?? Maybe I was reading this thread too fast but I didn't see anything about hostages. Also, as for the woman complaining about waiting in the heat, maybe if some of us were in the same situation we would be complaining too. I figure if you are under threat of being killed by bombings and shelling then you have the right to complain about a lot of things.

Gramps said:
Hostages?? Maybe I was reading this thread too fast but I didn't see anything about hostages. Also, as for the woman complaining about waiting in the heat, maybe if some of us were in the same situation we would be complaining too. I figure if you are under threat of being killed by bombings and shelling then you have the right to complain about a lot of things.
that's the point. She wasn't in any immediate danger.

Nice to see a PM lead.

(I have removed the rest of my post as I see a new thread has been created that is more suitable to my rant)

paracowboy said:
that's the point. She wasn't in any immediate danger.

I would think that the people there may perceive the threat in a different light. Since perception is reality for most people she may tend to think that the threat is greater than it really is to her. The Lebanese Government has stated that there are about 300 dead and 1000 wounded, that may make people in all parts of the country feel a little threatened wheather they are having shells or bombs dropping near them or not.
If someone is scared or angry (or both) they may say things that come straight from emotion and not necessarily from the reality of the situation. Yes I understand the point about her not being in immediate danger but who knows what is going through someones mind in that situation. I don't think it makes her an ungrateful citizen but maybe she doesn't know the scope of the whole situation or have all of the information she needs. And if all she has to complain about is the heat and the wait then I would say that she had a relatively good day compared to some.

It's great to see a PM lead by example, hopefully he'll keep this leadership style and lead for the next decade. :cdn: :salute:

UK ops in Leb

6 naval assets, RAF Akrotiri, not to mention C-17
20,000 to get out
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/FactSheets/FactsheetEvacuationOperationsInLebanon.htm

Canadian ops in Leb
No naval assets in theatre
No C-17s and only a 310 because Harper diverted.
50,000 to get out...

If I was Bill Graham I'd be hiding right now, not camera whoring.

recceguy said:
Jeez, now all those journalists have to fly back coach on the company dime. I wonder how many are going to try claim the trip against the government. To bad we don't have a couple of spare C-17's kicking around

AFAIK .. the media travelling with the PM on government aircraft pay airfare at a business class rate for the seat that they occupy. 

IMO this is Harper taking advantage of the situation for a photo op.  He could care less about the people stranded over there, hence Canada being one of the last governments to organize an evacuation.  Like giving up the room for 50 or so people on his plane is this grand gesture, I wonder who the people will be, likely some prominent or influential members of the Lebanese community so he can score brownie points there too.  PM should have treated them all equally, got flights and ships booked days before he did, and flew himself back home to work on all the million other issues going on in the world right now.  Oh wait, he is too busy crouched beside Bush at the oval office getting scratched behind the ear.

blackadder1916 said:
AFAIK .. the media travelling with the PM on government aircraft pay airfare at a business class rate for the seat that they occupy. 

Got a reference?

chaos75 said:
IMO this is Harper taking advantage of the situation for a photo op.  He could care less about the people stranded over there, hence Canada being one of the last governments to organize an evacuation.  Like giving up the room for 50 or so people on his plane is this grand gesture, I wonder who the people will be, likely some prominent or influential members of the Lebanese community so he can score brownie points there too.  PM should have treated them all equally, got flights and ships booked days before he did, and flew himself back home to work on all the million other issues going on in the world right now.  Oh wait, he is too busy crouched beside Bush at the oval office getting scratched behind the ear.

I am amazed that someone with that amount of "Anti-EVERYTHING" actually serves or served in our military. My first impression of you is that you are  (thankfully) one of those very few who signed up just because he needed a job.

Back