• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

plastic surgery - curiosity

the_girlfirend

Inactive
Reaction score
Good morning everyone!

I was wondering if it is possible for an applicant to pass the medical exam if she or he had plastic surgery for esthetic purposes only. Like breast implants or anything else...

Also I was wondering if members of the CF are allowed to get plastic surgery for esthetic purposes only... like breast implants, liposuction, facelift...

Thank you very much
Have a nice day

Hey Girlfriend....
Cosmetic surgery is not something that the CF is particularly interested in financing - but they did finance the sex change surgery of a Sgt that went from Male to Female.

Liposuction - breast implants & facelifts prior to enrollment ?
as long as the surgery was successful - I don't see any particular reason why the CF would reject an applicant.  But they will have to be informed of your medical history - they will have to make sure that there are no complications before they consider enrollment.

Liposuction - breast implants & facelifts afterenrollment ?
Cosmetic things are probably going to be on your own dime - unless there is a pressing psychological reason for them to pay for it.

geo said:
Cosmetic surgery is not something that the CF is particularly interested in financing - but they did finance the sex change surgery of a Sgt that went from Male to Female.

That was gender reassignment and the reason DND covered it was because OHIP did.  (And for psychological reasons).

geo said:
Liposuction - breast implants & facelifts afterenrollment ?
Cosmetic things are probably going to be on your own dime - unless there is a pressing psychological reason for them to pay for it.

Depends on the circumstances and what the provincial health care would cover.
I have heard of people getting breast augmentation, only to turn around and get a reduction, all covered by DND.  IMHO, that person should have been made to pay for the reversal, much like guys had to pay to get a vasectomy reversed.  (I use past tense as I am not sure if this is still in practice.)

As I said Moe... unless there is a pressing psychological reason for them to pay for it.

But if there is a psych reason for it that is already apparent at enrollment, they won't enroll you to start with

geo said:
As I said Moe... unless there is a pressing psychological reason for them to pay for it.

But if there is a psych reason for it that is already apparent at enrollment, they won't enroll you to start with

Too true.  Unfortunately, some psych issues are not so "apparent" on enrollment.  ::)

Ayup - too true.
Then again, if it is a medical condition that limits the soldier's ability to serve, he/she could quickly end up "back on the outside"

That gender change was done to a Sgt.  I figure the CF felt that they had invested enough $$$ into him up to that time - that to finance the changes would result in his remaining in the CF as a productive individual....

Certainly was an ughlee dude to start with - and not much prettier afterwards

geo said:

What!!??

So, I want boobs. Wanted boobs when I originally joined too. Are you insinuating that they wouldn't have enrolled me due to those "psyche" issues had they known I wanted boobs.

1) A girl that works a couple offices away from me had breast augmentation after she joined. She paid for it and used her annual leave for recovery due to it's being purely "cosmetic" in nature, but a pshycological thing in the sense that she had low self-esteem and felt "like a guy" due to lack of them (much as how I personally feel).

2) I know people who had tummy tucks paid for, breast reduction paid for AND breast augmentations paid for. For the augmentation that was paid for, seems that her reasonings were the same as the girl I've spoken of in #1, BUT different MO in a different province - same reasons, but one got hers "approved" on pshychological, the other didn't.

As for this affecting one's ability to serve their country (whether it occurs after or pre enrollment ... what a load of el toro poo poo.

...must...not...comment...

...wait...for...Journeyman....he'll say what I am thinking!

Vern,
Ahem... I feel for ya!  I truly do.
Everyone has different psychological issues... and I mean everyone.  It's a question of how severe the problem is.  While you are most convincing when delivering your opinion on a wide range of subjects, I guess you haven't hit the mark when you talked to the MO about the enlargement procedure.  You might want to check with the base MO on your next posting... MWOs ?

I have had a rhinoplasty for medical reasons (nose job), laser eye surgery for non medical reasons and I know of a woman who had breast augmentation and is quite happy now.

I was covered by the military for my nose operation, had to pay out of pocket for my Lasik and she paid out of pocket for her breasts.

Neither have affected anyone's employability.

I've had a septoplasty for medical reasons, paid for by DND.

Vern, I think we're talking very severe psych issues.  Low self-esteem, in most cases, does not affect one's ability to serve, but if (or when) it leads to depression, etc, then I'm quite sure it might.

I always thought I would have liked an "enhancement" too but now I really don't care.  At least they won't be sagging to my waist in later years!  :nod:

I'd be more concerned about getting laser treatment for some visible veins on my face (similar to rosacea) but I don't think the CF will cover that.  :-[

Of course, I could always say I have low self-esteem because of it.......  ;)

When I am CDS Breast Agmentation for any woman who wants it :D

Seriously though if the CF can make an "it" then why not allow woman who want breats agmentaion to get it on CF dime. And before anyone goes crazy I can see rules like min time served etc etc so as not for it to get out of hand. The CF invest a huge chunk of change into it's pers and in return the person invest time and effort why not a little extra reward?

Scott said:
...must...not...comment...

...wait...for...Journeyman....he'll say what I am thinking!
Why....what enlightenment could I possibly contribute to this thread?  >:D

I figure her questions have been answered:
- "Can an applicant to pass the medical exam if she or he had plastic surgery for esthetic purposes?" Yes.
- "Are members of the CF are allowed to get plastic surgery for esthetic purposes?" Yes, most likely at your own expense, using your leave for recovery time.

In the end, of course, I do agree with Vern:
ArmyVern said:
I want boobs. Wanted boobs when I originally joined too.
Me too -- attached to a woman, and pressing against me is just fine; size is no object.  ;D

To answer the questions - yes, you can still enroll, however don't be surprised if more questions about your mental health are asked as to why you had the surgery done.  Also, if some sort of physical impediment resulted from the surgery, such as problems doing pushups for instance, well, that could limit your ability to get in.

Some plastic surgery is on the Spectrum of Care list simply because it can be ordered for medical reasons - rhinoplasty or breast reduction for instance.  However, if you wanted a facelift/tummy tuck/etc done, well, make sure you have annual leave for recovery and some money in your pocket, as that's what will happen.  Also, be aware that any problems that preclude you from doing your job later on as a result of the surgery will leave you responsible for what might happen ie - permanent category resulting in release.

Cheers.

MM

medicineman said:
To answer the questions - yes, you can still enroll, however don't be surprised if more questions about your mental health are asked as to why you had the surgery done.  Also, if some sort of physical impediment resulted from the surgery, such as problems doing pushups for instance, well, that could limit your ability to get in.

Some plastic surgery is on the Spectrum of Care list simply because it can bucke ordered for medical reasons - rhinoplasty or breast reduction for instance.  However, if you wanted a facelift/tummy tuck/etc done, well, make sure you have annual leave for recovery and some money in your pocket, as that's what will happen.  Also, be aware that any problems that preclude you from doing your job later on as a result of the surgery will leave you responsible for what might happen ie - permanent category resulting in release.

Cheers.

MM

Nah,

Sister-in-law (just retired). Boobs and tummy tuck courtesy of the Crown.  ;)

ArmyVern said:
Nah,

Sister-in-law (just retired). Boobs and tummy tuck courtesy of the Crown.  ;)

What a deal, care to share how the crown took care of it?

If there's any sort of priority for surgeries being doled out, you'd think it would be to get some people's heads surgically removed from their butts.

.....get away from me with that mirror, dammit. I'm talking about other people  :mad:

Dolphin_Hunter said:
What a deal, care to share how the crown took care of it?

Personal opinion?

She should be nominated for an Acadamy Award for her acting abilities.

I had heard that breast implants were not allowed for combat arms types. Something about saline/silicone/whatever entering the blood stream should one be wounded in the chest.

This was just something through the rumour mill so don't jump all over me, I realize it may be baloney, but anyone in a medical profession think there is some sense to that?

Back