• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot life after CF

Correct.

The difference is you had to do a TC ride to get your multi rating, as did I. Military applicants don't have to do a flight test to get it, they only need to meet the requirements as laid out by John_Galt.

Hippie,

As you will learn at 406, Dual time is logged when you have a U/T category and while flying with a qualified MH Instructor, same as Moose Jaw and Portage. First Pilot time is logged when at the controls with a valid category on type, in your case, MH CoPilot (MHCP). 2nd Pilot time is logged by any pilot on the aircraft that is not at the controls. It doesn't count for anything so I don't even log it.

The difference between PIC and copilot time is where your name is in the two columns. Left column is for the aircraft captain, right column is for the cojo. If you didn't sign for the aircraft, your name shouldn't be in the left column.

When TC looks at your military logbook down the road, they'll be looking for when you were in the left column (PIC) and when there was no one in the right column (you were solo).

"At the controls" means sitting in the front seat, "in control" means actually flying.

Inch said:
First Pilot time is logged when at the controls with a valid category on type, in your case, MH CoPilot (MHCP). 2nd Pilot time is logged by any pilot on the aircraft that is not at the controls...
..."At the controls" means sitting in the front seat, "in control" means actually flying.

Not quite true.  The Aircraft Captain can be sitting in the back (in the case of AAC rides) and still be accruing First Pilot, PIC time.

The short and the skinny of this entire post is as follows. (PSTAR and other CARs acronyms aside).

If you are a up and coming CF pilot and are tempted to go and get your civilian licenses/ratings, wait for your Wings.  You can save yourself $20,000 + (even higher if you get rotorhead training) by simply writing two very basic air regulations tests (PSTAR and Commercial version).  No flying required...

Your military flight time is definitely usable towards a civilian rating. I have flown for both the military and the airlines.  I started out as a military pilot and once I had enough hours I decided to get an ATPL.  I took a condensed ATPL exam prep course and then wrote the exam. My multi engine military instrument rating was accepted by Transport Canada and no flight test was required. So long as you maintain a military instrument rating, Transport Canada will continue to renew an IFR rating on a civilian licence. I am now on a leave of absence from the airlines and once again flying for the military and this is how I keep my civilian rating current.   

A guy at my unit just got out after 32 years, he flew Snowbirds, F5's, Single Huey's, Twin Huey's, Labs, Twin Otters, Muskateers (training) and a few other aircraft. He accumulated 5400 hrs over his 32 years and he is now a first officer with West Jet.

Back