• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pics from Australia - Regimental Dining In Night - 18 Sep 08

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Here's the evidence of a hard nights swill!

A few sore heads in the morning.

Me, I took it easy, so I am happy, shy of lack of sleep the next day.

Enjoy!

1. 1700 h pre swill before dressing up at TST, the lads smoking Cuban cigars purchased in Iraq.
2 1745 h pre swill after dressing up at TST
3 1830 h pre dinner drinks at The 41 Club

OWDU

More...

1. Some of my guys...

2. Myself and 'Supa Boff'

3. 41 Club at a glance

A few more...

These were all taken in the Mess during the dinner etc...

So ended a very good night.

OWDU

Good set of pics from a good regimental dinner  :salute:

Couple of questions:

1.  3rd pic from the bottom, who is the chap fourth person on the left side of the table amd why is he wearing his headress?  Should he be donating a large sum to the bar for drinks?

2.  I notice that the JNCOs and below are wearing medals on their shirts.  This is not done in the British Army, as we do not have the hot weather. So my question is about how the material of the shirt supports the weight of the medals.  Are the shirts a particularly heavy duty material or what?

Good pics Wes, Thank you

... White mess kit !!! 
Don't think I could do a couple of mess dinners without a major dry cleaning bill in-between ;)

TheNomad said:

Couple of questions:

1.  3rd pic from the bottom, who is the chap fourth person on the left side of the table amd why is he wearing his headress?  Should he be donating a large sum to the bar for drinks?

2.  I notice that the JNCOs and below are wearing medals on their shirts.  This is not done in the British Army, as we do not have the hot weather. So my question is about how the material of the shirt supports the weight of the medals.  Are the shirts a particularly heavy duty material or what?

I can't really answer question one but the usual dress is summer mess dress (the whites) sans headwear so it's a bit mised. I suppose shouting the bar would be up to those present at the time.

The second question is easier to answer. The material is polyester. It doesn't feel particularly strong, so not a terribly thick item to wear. It may be slightly more robust than a dress shirt.

TheNomad said:

Couple of questions:

1. Notice its a black beret. We are the country's premium armoured regiment, and oldest regiment in the country, not that it matters. This WO2 was in the party for marching on the Guidons ( our colours and battle honours, a unique ceremony in itself) which when this pic was taken, which were about to be marched in of the Mess. Hence the beret, as head dress is worn regardless of uniform in this ceremony.

2. We have two types of dress uniforms. Polys and Service dress. Polys are either a short sleeve shirt (no tie worn), or long sleeve type. Both are recognised in the ASOD manual. No one is out of uniform. You will notice the thick black belt, this is the ceremonial type of dress code, and hence medals are worn.  Service dress is a tunic, and are not general issue anymore. I don't even have any. Try googling Australian Army ASOD and see what turns up.

Regards from a windy and storm filled early evening here in the tropics,

OWDU

Nice pictures Wes, looks like you boys had yourselves some fun. Good nights lead to very bad mornings ;) Thanks for putting them up.

Slainte,

Wes have you seen the new garrison jackets that you can wear with civvies?
Anyway, hope everyone over there is safe and sound.
David

Hi Davo,

I steer clear of such things, seen them yes, but only in pics, buy one NEVER. I bet they are quite common in Canberra  ;D , ha!

My main clobber is cams and PDs, the odd time polys and even odder times, mess kit (which I now call 'spandex kit' since I've packed on 15kgs from when I returned from Iraq due to a stupid and annoying knee injury I inherited there).

Aside from my obvious cheekyness, its Queensland here, and too hot for such 'staff weenie' jackets.

Queensland ya, beautiful one day... perfect the next.

Cold XXXX's

Wes

I've not seen the jackets here. The general opinion of them is quite low. I'll have to wait until next winter to see if anyone is wearing them here.
I thought I'd provide the link to ASOD (Army Standing Orders for Dress) for anyone interested. It's readily available via the Australian Army website.
http://www.defence.gov.au/army/ASOD/index.htm
David

Awesome Wes, i didnt know you'd put them up here. When i get home i'll add a couple of my own. Crazy night that one, i remember being really, really drunk, the boys convincing me i was Irish and that i should talk to the OC and all the troops leaders about it. I think they laughed but i could be wrong about that.
I'll throw a few of mine up too.

Heres a few of mine. Theres heaps more from a very crazy night but they're on a mate's laptop.
These show us in our "Winter polies" that we obviously wear on formal occasions. Our summer polies are the same but open necked and short sleeved. The shirts both eat starch and ironing steam and when you ask most blokes they say they'd prefer to have the service dress jacket instead of a shirt. The shirts are a heavy material and with the starch in them hold the gongs up quite well and we mostly look pretty sharp in them. As Armoured Corp warriors, all our various add on's are chromed, such as the belt keepers, shoulder titles and belt buckle etc.
These photo's were taken after the dinner when the beers were flowing and the boys were in brilliant form. It was a massive night and we didnt finish until about 04 the next morning.....
Work started at 0730

And this is a very sorry, sore and dehydrated Tpr Hale at work that next morning.  ;D

Those VB beer bottles look funny! Never saw any like that before. ;)

Thanks for sharing the pictures by the way!

Great pics Hales - especially the last one, ha!

Ya missed a hoot at the RAEME birthday thing.

Hope your having a good wknd.

Cheers,

Wes

The Beaver said:
Those VB beer bottles look funny! Never saw any like that before. ;)

Thanks for sharing the pictures by the way!

They look like the old "stubbies" we used to have.........

ask your old man about them...

VB stubbies are great. They're an Australian institution... And they've caused me a terrible headache today

OWDU,

Hotties!  Single?  Age?  May have to plan a trip down there to meet one of them!

Hales!

Do I need to ask what is on that shirt?  ;D