• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pics from Australia - Regimental Dining In Night - 18 Sep 08

Strike said:
Hales!

Do I need to ask what is on that shirt?   ;D
Every day i wear that shirt to work i get asked that question and chap's are more then willing to tell me how they reckon it happened.
Get your mind out of the gutter!

Holy Crapola, Hales!

You must have given your four surviving brain cells a heck of a scare.

BT,DT.

Sweatie

Overwatch Downunder said:
1. Notice its a black beret. We are the country's premium armoured regiment, and oldest regiment in the country, not that it matters. This WO2 was in the party for marching on the Guidons ( our colours and battle honours, a unique ceremony in itself) which when this pic was taken, which were about to be marched in of the Mess. Hence the beret, as head dress is worn regardless of uniform in this ceremony.
If I may be so bold as to ask, which regiment? :tank:

dodger39 said:
If I may be so bold as to ask, which regiment? :tank:

Its the oldest Regiment in the Australian Army.  ;D

Hint ;)

OWDU

Hales! said:
Every day i wear that shirt to work i get asked that question and chap's are more then willing to tell me how they reckon it happened.
Get your mind out of the gutter!

Bloody hell Hales, that looks EXACTLY like the shirt I chucked at the foot of my bed the other night, errrr was that in the morning, ha! Usually there is about 4 or 5 of them by Friday's laundry  ;D

:rofl: - and nearly pisses self.

Be good and have a safe and healthy Christmas stand down. Ring me for a swim BBQ and beer, you're always welcome, besides I got to show you that ME CC Mk1.

Cheers,

Wes

I reckon you're referring to 2/14 QMI, but I reckon I may have to disagree as to it being the oldest, I think (occassionaly) and I will stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I thought 10th Light Horse  was the oldest.

2/14 LHR (QMI), we are the oldest. We just had the Birthday

Try google and see what it says?

Regards,

OWDU

According to wiki:

The Australian 10th Light Horse Regiment is a regiment of the Australian Army. Part of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps, the regiment is part of the army reserve. The regiment is one of the oldest in Australia, being formed in 1900 as the Western Australia Mounted Infantry.

The 2nd/14th Light Horse Regiment (Queensland Mounted Infantry) was formed in 1930 through the amalgamation of two other regiments:

* 2nd Moreton Light Horse (QMI)
    * 14th West Moreton Light Horse (QMI)

EDITED TO ADD

oops just noticed 10th is a reserve unit  :-[

Well thanks for that Grinch, saved me posting it. I was going to post the same ref. But let's face it, we all think our own unit is the best, nought wrong with that.

In response to your edit

Being a reserve unit now makes no difference, they weren't always a reserve unit.

We just had our 140+ Birthday.

It must be from one of those Units we prepetuated that were mentioned.

Let me investigate.

OWDU

The 2/14th Queensland Infantry was formed when volunteers were called by proclamation on 18th February 1860 by the first Governor of Queensland, Sir George Ferguson Bowen. In 1864 the unit was renamed Queensland Light Horse. Under the 'Defence Act of 1884' there was a reorganisation and the unit name changed in 1885 to Moreton Mounted Infantry.[REF: http://www.lighthorse.org.au/unitsact/2_14th.htm]

The first of the mounted units in Western Australia to be officially formed was the Pinjarra Mounted Volunteers raised in October 1862. Other volunteer units followed between 1870 and 1897 under such titles as Union Troop of Western Australian Mounted Volunteers, The Wellington Mounted Volunteers and The Perth Mounted Rifle Volunteers. However these were short lived and by 1897 all had been disbanded. [REF: http://www.lighthorse.org.au/unitsact/10th.htm]

So the 2/14th is older as per OWDU's statement.

Overwatch Downunder said:
Good work NF-G!

Happy Days - Wes

bow.gif

;D

Oh well, can't be right all the time, and certainly not this time. Missed it by 2 years. What a bummer. :eek:

As has already been stated 2/14 Light Horse Regiment (Queensland Mounted Infantry) is the oldest Regular Armoured Corp Regiment in Australia. Whether Dodger wants to argue over A Sqn, 10th Light Horse being better is totally irrelevent and pointless as it'd be an argument over a Reserve Squadron and a Regular Regiment who is on constant rotations through the Middle East (And i think 4th/19 Prince Of Wales' Light Horse Regiment is the better Reserve Armoured Regiment!  ;D ).

2/14's history over the last 140 years is massive and something that we're very proud of. While we haven't anything as dramatic as 10th LH getting nearly wiped out at the Nek or the Dragoons at lilifontain and the Strat's in North West Europe, we're still very proud of our history (That is still growing) and our position in the RAAC.
We're a great Regiment and one that we're very proud of.

...And I personally would love to see a couple of Strat's come over here to sample some of our gravy! Or Dragoons so they can experience...basically not being in Petawawa!

Hey Hales, I'm not arguing, I just made an observation to OWDU post which I thought was incorrect and I have already conceded I was wrong.

I've spent time with 10th Light Horse over in Perth, back in 1970, can't say I enjoyed my short stay with them. I've also spent time with 4/19 PWLH at Holsworthy , think that was round about 66. From that, you'd have to realise I was RAAC, albeit a long time back. 15 years  in the army (not counting my 6 years in the Brit Army, REME attached to 15/19 The Kings Royal Hussars) and except for the last three years all spent with RAAC. Of all the units I was with, 3 Cav Regt is my pride and joy.

You have every right to be proud of your unit, and I'm sure as hell not knocking you or your unit.
Like I said, I posted a response to a comment  that I THOUGHT was incorrect, I've been proved wrong, I've conceded I was wrong and I'm not arguing.

Geez, first day on the site and I'm getting in strife. Not to worry though, I've got broad shoulders. ;D

Dont stress at all mate! Especially if your old 3Cav. I'm an ex bucket head myself.
I wasnt having a go at all, sorry if thats the inference you got.

Hales! said:
Dont stress at all mate! Especially if your old 3Cav. I'm an ex bucket head myself.
I wasnt having a go at all, sorry if thats the inference you got.

Yep, defininately old, and 3 Cav. Funny farm 69/70

Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick with your arguing comment. I do tend to misinterpret things that are said. I'll put it down to old age or maybe I'm just getting senile. :fifty: