• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness on Ships

Stacked said:
I've never been on a skimmer,  but asked a friend for you - he says they go to 100pds typically.

Thank you very much for that, I appreciate that big time.

Keep in mind that above about SeaState 3 free weights can be downright dangerous and in fact will be made out of bounds until the weather settles so you may want to have a back up plan. I have been in what I will call greater than 'rough' seas for days and in a few cases, up to two weeks sustained. This is when it's rough enough to severely hamper every day tasks (eating, showering etc) and if some of your dept is down for the count, you will find yourself a little busy standing by for them. I suppose what I am getting at is have a back up plan and in worse case accept that you may well go many days without the opportunity to do any exercising...as strange as this may sound. I am sure many of the sailors on here will testify to this.
All this said, every ship I have been on in the last 10-12 years, there has been what I will politely call 'Muscle Beach' time. It seems to be a similar time each day and all the 'body-builders' take over the hangar. You will find others with your interests and I am certain once on board a ship, you will figure out who they are. I am pretty sure there are a few of them on here too.

Just moving around a ship in certain sea states is workout enough....

SeaKingTacco said:
Just moving around a ship in certain sea states is workout enough....

...struggling to climb up a ladder, and the next thing you know, you're launched up through the hatch at a high rate of knots...  ;D

Would that be negative impact calesthenics!

All that aside, there was a PO I recall and I Know that some of you on here know him-He rose to the ranks of CPO1, was Base Chief for a bit and then took his commission to LCdr just before the Centennial in 2010. Anyway, I sailed with him on two ships and to this day, I cannot remember his trade but what I do remember is that he was CONSTANTLY walking-He would even come with us Cert 3s doing pre watch rounds. If the weather was nice, he had an upper deck circuit going from Bridge wing to stern (This was an IRE-lots of nooks and cranies to lengthen the stroll). If inclimate weather, you would see him doing `flats rounds`and though the ISLs, ANNs, MKEs and IREs had only one main flats, he would go up or down when he could. Trust me, it was a true rarity for ANYONE but stokers (and sorry, ETs too) to come down to either the Boiler Room or Engine Room but he always did. I never knew this man to show any kind of sign whatsoever of being overweight and yet I KNOW he could pack in the groceries at times.
So SKT, all kidding aside, there is indeed some truth in what you say.

Happy Friday morning to all by the way-Burning off my last day of leave here in beautiful downtown Portuguese Cove waiting for a load of drywall to be delivered so I can finish the `Muskrat Den` (garage!)

Pat

What Pat says is true.  I eat like a horse at sea.  Yet, I generally lose weight, as my job keeps me in near constant motion up and down the ship for 16hrs per day.  Just moving around a ship in any kind of sea state is a core body workout.

Stacked said:
Hahaha no matter what I eat I don't put on any weight.
I've been on TD in Halifax since Jan. and have had either McDonalds or Subway every night!
Not a single pound.

How old are you?

Trust me - It's coming!! I had a buddy like that up until around his mid 30s. I actually went out on a job with him (Inspector with Viceroy Homes)when we were both in our early 30s and no word of  a lie, his lunch was a bucket of KFC, a big bag of Doritos and 2litres of Pepsi. He bragged how he felt great and was 6'4" and about 180 lbs. Almost overnight, he developed all kinds of bizarre ailments ranging from reflux to sleep apnia to COPD (never smoked) and a few others. I saw him just before I was posted out of Ottawa last summer (works for Urbandale now) and he is hovering around 350 lbs, can hardly make it up a flight of stairs and has O2 in his truck and at home. Will this happen to all who live this care-free dieting life style for 20 years-I dare say it could happen to most.
Back on track though, along with providing more access to exercise equipment, ships have started introducing healthier foods day to day. Don't get me wrong, you will still have the occasional wing or nacho night when there is a playoff game but the days of 8 trays of duff coming out at 1630 are done (or at least should be). This is likely for the best. Like someone else said, I don't tend to eat as well at sea (though I don't gorge myself) but with all the running around you are doing believe it or not, though it would not constitute a "work out", it defiantly keeps the juices flowing. For any given 8 hour work day alongside, I am probably 4 times more active in a similar period at sea-That said, I am in a position currently that sees me sailing a desk for much of the day. I do building laps once an hour, walk 6-10 k at lunch time and do some stuff when I get home. A typical day at sea though I will still burn more calories than that and that does not include if I get on a bike or rowing machine!
You've got a lot of answers now and my next suggestion is to wait and see what you can do based on your own work schedule, ship's requirements and operational commitments. Good Luck (...again)

Pat

Stacked said:

as ridiculous as this sounds even though you have mcdonalds you probably aren't eating enough to gain weight, especially at age 20 because your metabolism is so quick. This is coming from a guy who 3 years ago weighed 135lbs, now I am 225 haha. eat until you're full and then eat some more lol.

Aboard an MCDV there's space on the bridge with weights, elliptical and treadmill; there's also an stationary bike.

vincent.escanlar said:
Aboard an MCDV there's space on the bridge with weights, elliptical and treadmill; there's also an stationary bike.

Do believe that's the Summerside. Most ships also have stationary bikes in their degausing  compartments. Hopefully this year all MCDV's will have a standardized fit of gym equipment.

Back