• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness on Ships

Navy_Blue

Inactive
Reaction score
We have gyms on our ships.  The problem is they seem to have been an after thought.  All of our equipment is spread thoughout the ship in spaces that some times don't have great air flow.  I've peeked at the PMO site for JSS from time to time.  Has anyone seen any mention of designing in a Gym for the sailors.  I've been on board the some other countries ships and they have some nice gyms and equipment (although after thoughts in design).  If fitness is so important to the CF why not build our BIG equipment with facilities??? 

If anyone important ever reads this...its just a thought :)

:cdn:

Heh,

Using the "reserve Space" or shoe-horning exercise equipment into already packed work spaces and flats isn't the best way to do things.

I recall that on one of the US Carriers I visited a while back,they had a big gallery setup in the top of the hangar deck as a gym.  Huge area, free weights, bikes by the dozen, treadmills, etc.  Great setup.  My friend said it was in use almost 24/7.

We have two treadmills, an elliptical, a couple of bikes and a rowing machine, plus a weight set....for 230 people to share.  Not that everyone uses them, but when we were on NATO, I made it a point to try and get onto the elliptical for a half hour a day, and tried to hit the bikes when I could. 

I think having a better layout for a work-out space would be helpful.  I recall that when I was on one ship, we sailed without a helo embarked, so we moved the gym up to the hangar.  WOW.  We had people there non-stop....it was amazing.  I don't expect to see that sort of thing often, but it was a good way to have things set up. 

Hopefully there's more than just a "reserve space" set aside for a gym on whatever new classes of ships we end up getting down the road.

NS

What equipment is usually on our ships? Basic weight training requires barbells, bench and a cage. Is it possible to bring my own if these aren't available?

Sepulchrave said:
What equipment is usually on our ships? Basic weight training requires barbells, bench and a cage. Is it possible to bring my own if these aren't available?

Nope ther is no room for everyone to bring there own. I personally go out and lift the anchor everyday

Your best bet is to hope that a Sea King doesn't make it on the tour - then you'll have decent gym facilities in the hangar!  REGINA was like this on OP APOLLO.  IROQUOIS too.

http://www.frankhudec.ca/apollo_gallery/apollo_frameset.htm

There are a couple of pics from the 'Stan and Navy that don't involve fitness, but this link gives you a bit of an idea of what is available for PT on Canadian warships:

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&defaultjoin=and&field=Keywords&op=contains&value=+&field=Keywords&op=contains&value=physical+fitness&site=combatcamera&catalog=photos&template=results_e.np&sorton=IPTC%20-%20DateCreated&ascending=0

Good one!  Yes, there are VERY large storage lockers aboard for this purpose.  The Navy thinks of everything! I'm sure the 'swain will sort you out.;)

painswessex said:
Nope ther is no room for everyone to bring there own. I personally go out and lift the anchor everyday

I was thinking of contributing to the equipment available for common use for as long as I was posted to the ship, not exclusively for myself.

Yes yes the CPF's have equipment but its all over the place in poorly ventilated sometimes cramped spaces.  280's have the spare hanger (probably never see 2 sea kings again at the same time) and well the tanker has all kinds of room.  My point is the Navy is designing and building new boats over the next 20 to 30 years.  Dose it not make sense (oops making sense again) to think about a built in facility for the sailors with standard equipment.  When it comes down to living conditions it is as important as your mess dare I say the beer machine.  The fitness of Sailors is pretty low and part of the reason is lack of good facilities for the six month+ that we're gone.

I'm not saying take up a whole deck here.  A full or even half a water tight compartment would be perfect for 25+ people off watch at a time.  It not allot of space if it is thought out in the first stages of design.

Sepulchrave said:
I was thinking of contributing to the equipment available for common use for as long as I was posted to the ship, not exclusively for myself.

Most ships have converted the...... oh man it has been to long i forget my ship spaces names!!! anyway the navy bought free weights and bikes and other things during the pre deployment phase for Op Apollo for all the ships.

As well i know on the winnipeg we had an enginering change and ran vetalation into the space from NBCD stores.

The best shipboard gyms I've seen were in PROTECTEUR and ALGONQUIN, and in both cases the hangar was used as no air det was embarked.  A well equiped gym is excellent for morale onboard.  In the GOO our gym was used round the clock by almost every member of the ship's company.  I don't have stats to back this up, but I am convinced that the health of the crew, physically, mentally, and emotionally, was far better for having a good gym available.

And if we're serious about being a professional fighting force (and I think we are), we have to be concerned about fitness and the fighting edge it provides.

A dedicated gym space designed into a ship would be a great idea, and certainly in line with the latest directives on fitness from the top.

My husband serves aboard HMCS Iroquois. Only a few months ago, he had taken me on a "tour" of the ship. (I had been on her previous to this to watch the fireworks in the harbour, however, we stayed in one place.) While on the "tour", he took me into the hanger and much to my surprise, it was a fully functional gym....I must say I was somewhat surprised. I understand not to long ago the ship came out of refit. One would think they would consider finding a more "suitable" place for a gym. Its not the best of places. It is always busy however because of where everything is located right now, its cramped. Are they not suppose to have 2 helos when they sail? If not, why is there space for two? Then again, I suppose we could afford to use it as a gym...afterall one would think our biggest mission yet, as the military, is to figure out a way to find a helo that will actually stay in the sky ...

*Ducks while random sh*t comes flying at her for the comment*

Its nothing more than a joke. My husband was aboard the Iroquois when the helo crashed on the flight deck a few years ago. And what about these new "cyclones" we're suppose to be getting? I heard as recently as last week on a program on TV that we have a handful designated to us by October 2008. They look pretty sharp. I just hope everything works out for them. I have seakings flying over my home every day, all day. I would love to think these helos will be more quality than quantity......

S.Bradbury

LOL gravy knows who I am talking about, too bad she went to a land down under.

NG280 I think the problem is we do not have enough air dets to justify have 2 helos onboard the 280s any longer. What air dets we do have basically are moving their kit to the next ship as their first ship comes alongside.

Ex-Dragoon said:
LOL gravy knows who I am talking about, too bad she went to a land down under.

NG280 I think the problem is we do not have enough air dets to justify have 2 helos onboard the 280s any longer. What air dets we do have basically are moving their kit to the next ship as their first ship comes alongside.

Thank you Ex ... Clarifies some things for me  ;)

S.Bradbury

Always remember that if you think you have it bad, there is usually someone who has it worse!  The MCDV's are lucky to have 1 bike, 1 treadmill and a bowflex. Some might have an elliptical.  The majority of this is on the aft end of the bridge.  Free weights are a big no-no onboard.  And the way MCDV's bob around like corks, getting into any kind of routine is ridiculous.  And definitely no flight decks to jog around!

Just bumped into one of the Snr Medics onboard a CPF.. he has been there for 5 years straight and want to stay....  One thing to point out, he is Army!! He did comment about the gym being a great thing to have onboard.

Mind you depending on the class of ship and the dynamics of the sports officer and custodian, your ship could be well kitted out.. its like playing the lotto I guess.

Navalsnipr said:
Just bumped into one of the Snr Medics onboard a CPF.. he has been there for 5 years straight and want to stay....  One thing to point out, he is Army!! He did comment about the gym being a great thing to have onboard.

Mind you depending on the class of ship and the dynamics of the sports officer and custodian, your ship could be well kitted out.. its like playing the lotto I guess.

Keep in mind that sports was entirely NPF until very recently (I don't know what it is now, and I'm the Sports Custodian!), so money could be hard to come by.  And it's not the SportsO and Custodian that entirely define what the facilities are like, it has a lot to do with the XO, LogO, and how you are allowed to purchase stuff.  We've been on a real drive to get our stuff sorted out, because we got a big pile of money, but man it can be a real pain in the ass.  It's looking not too bad right now, but it's been about four months of hassle and right down to the wire, too.

The Physical Fitness Maintenance Grant is a pile of PSP money that ends up in NPF for accounting purposes and expenditure.  It adds up quickly, as its based on numbers of pers on board.  It doesn't get spent all that often, as most ships are kitted out.  Once something breaks, and is BER, then you can see huge money being spent to replace machines.  Jerseys, balls, bats, gloves, hockey pucks, etc, can only account for so much.  Each Ship's Committee is the best place to actually propose spending PFMG funds.  Log Os, XOs, etc, are always looking for a way to spend it. It isn't just their show......

Now, as for bragging rights, PRO (and perhaps PRE) has the best gym afloat.  Lots of cardio machines, free weights, universals, and a kick @ss stereo to work out by.  The jungle deck is almost as good as the hangar for convenience, and has plenty of space.  BUT, the best part is the 0.1 mile race track the NavArcs conveniently designed when planning the ship.  Unless we are at flying stations, 10 laps around is about a mile.  Not bad at all, and certainly better than running figure 8s on a CPF flight deck.  Of course, with a small flight deck, if you time it right, you can run up hill for an hour......./

Rhibwolf said:
The Physical Fitness Maintenance Grant is a pile of PSP money that ends up in NPF for accounting purposes and expenditure.  It adds up quickly, as its based on numbers of pers on board.  It doesn't get spent all that often, as most ships are kitted out.  Once something breaks, and is BER, then you can see huge money being spent to replace machines.  Jerseys, balls, bats, gloves, hockey pucks, etc, can only account for so much.  Each Ship's Committee is the best place to actually propose spending PFMG funds.  Log Os, XOs, etc, are always looking for a way to spend it. It isn't just their show......

I don't know if that's the way it works, now.  The gear is no longer accounted for in NPF stock, I don't get paid, and the money we got was just a pile of cash with no direction in how it was to be spent outside of "acquire stuff the right way" (three quotes, local supplier, etc).  I suppose the easy way to find out for sure would be to ask my SportsO, which I will do and report back...

All I know for sure right now is that a couple of quarters ago I went to do NPF stocktaking as usual, and the officer running it said sports isn't NPF anymore and I wasn't required.

Back