• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Phoenix Pay System - Shit's Horrible

There is no intent or appetite to move the CAF to Phoenix.  The prior initiative to do so has been rejected.

My latest Phoenix moment: Printing the same pay stub twice, ten days apart, and having most of the numbers (except the net deposit) change.  Hard to tell if you're being paid correctly when you can't be sure if the numbers are final or not...

After switching over a month ago, I'm about to get my second pay cheque, still not able to login to CWA, pension centre doesn't see me in their system and can't enrol in PSHCP. Somehow I got paid but I am not in the system....

Once you get your second Phoenix pay you should be able to get a myKey generated, and then start accessing your pay statements at least.

EDIT to note: Looking at your profile, I strongly recommend you find a pension expert.  If you transferred Reg to Res, you're still in the Reg F pension plan, which means that every day that goes by now counts as two against your 35 year limit - and if it's a day you don't work class A, it's a day out of your 35 year max that you'll never, ever get a pension benefit for.  When you're in CFSA part I and PSSA at the same time, your maximum pension decreases rapidly.

I already got a myKey. Can't login and no one can tell me why.

Also, trust me I've tried getting some pension advice but  I've called about 10 times the Pension centre and got a different answer every time. From my last conversation, everything is fine, just fill out the PWGSC 2092, pension transfers. Also, told to check my pay statement when I get my first reserve pay to see what my deductions are. I've been telling the unit to hold off on processing any pay for me due that clause where if I start to get earnings and contributing to the CF pension I won't be able to transfer it anymore.

For the logon: Try again on Wednesday.  Sometimes it takes two pays through the system before you can access things.  I have no idea why, but sometimes that works.

For pension:You may have to release and re-enrol to trigger the ability to transfer your military pension to the PS.

I will state that there is very little knowledge about Reservists in the Reg F pension plan, even in the pension offices, if you are leaving the Reg F without drawing your pension immediately.

Thanks I'll try again after tomorrow.

I hope it doesn't come to a release and re-enrol as i am afraid for how long it might take to do all the paperwork to get back in.

dapaterson said:
There is no intent or appetite to move the CAF to Phoenix.  The prior initiative to do so has been rejected.

First time hearing this, last I had about a year ago was that TB had mandated it which totally screwed things up and put us behind schedule on changing systems.  There was no appetite from the military for it then but it looked like we had no say.  Guess someone got tough with them as it was so screwed. 

CountDC said:
First time hearing this, last I had about a year ago was that TB had mandated it which totally screwed things up and put us behind schedule on changing systems.  There was no appetite from the military for it then but it looked like we had no say.  Guess someone got tough with them as it was so screwed.

There's several very long stories in this, most of which are best recounted with appropriate libations in hand.

Could have purchased a couple of F-35's for that amount.

Phoenix is sounding a bit like the reserve pay system in the 90's - OOPS.

Heard a little bit about the new pay system for the military.  Seems they went through a large and expensive analyst of Phoenix that showed it wouldn't work for us.  Considering it wasn't working for the civilian pay seems to me they could have saved time and money with a simple - see it doesn't work for you, why do you think it would work for us.

CountDC said:
Phoenix is sounding a bit like the reserve pay system in the 90's - OOPS.

Heard a little bit about the new pay system for the military.  Seems they went through a large and expensive analyst of Phoenix that showed it wouldn't work for us.  Considering it wasn't working for the civilian pay seems to me they could have saved time and money with a simple - see it doesn't work for you, why do you think it would work for us.

Review was initiated before launch.  No go decision was before the depth of Phoenix failure was known.  PSPC has kept its cards very close to its chest on this one - so bad news was not let out.  Even after the go live, senior (Director+) folks at PSPC refused to acknowledge issues and claimed things were minor.

Not to sy that this was unexpected.  The migration of CAF pension services to PSPC was delayed many times due to the software not being ready.  PSPC was pulling folks away from Pension Modernization to try to catch up with the delays that Phoenix was experiencing, making PenMod late as well.

There needs to be a top to bottom housecleaning at PSPC - the toxic climate where no one is allowed to raise problems, but instead everyone just goes with the flow until they hit an ice floe is what contributed heavily to this epic disaster.  But instead, the mid-level management is intact, spending millions more to address problems they should have seen coming, and continuing to build their empires.

Office of the Privacy Commissioner report on Phoenix privacy breaches: https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/opc-actions-and-decisions/investigations/investigations-into-federal-institutions/2016-17/pa_20170608_pspc/

The Senate has confirmed it is dumping the beleaguered Phoenix payroll system after 18 months of struggles to ensure its employees are paid properly and on time.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3823943/senate-pulls-out-of-phoenix-pay-system-citing-unnecessary-delays-and-errors/

dapaterson said:
The Senate has confirmed it is dumping the beleaguered Phoenix payroll system after 18 months of struggles to ensure its employees are paid properly and on time.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3823943/senate-pulls-out-of-phoenix-pay-system-citing-unnecessary-delays-and-errors/

And some people wonder why I reminisce fondly about the time we were able to pay soldiers in cash, every other Friday.

If nothing else, it was good for my ego being able to walk out of the Paymonster's office with upwards of 10 large bulging in my cargo pockets ;)

daftandbarmy said:
And some people wonder why I reminisce fondly about the time we were able to pay soldiers in cash, every other Friday.

If nothing else, it was good for my ego being able to walk out of the Paymonster's office with upwards of 10 large bulging in my cargo pockets ;)

I do fondly remember being paid cash as well in the early days of my militia time as well as sea pay on ship.  Less fond is remembering the mess/canteen bills that needed to be seen to immediately afterwards.  Sigh...

jollyjacktar said:
I do fondly remember being paid cash as well in the early days of my militia time as well as sea pay on ship.  Less fond is remembering the mess/canteen bills that needed to be seen to immediately afterwards.  Sigh...
In my days the pay master was the first of 4 at the pay table. #2 was the PMC/mess manager, #3 padre, #4 unit banking officer.

I am upset on behalf of loyal and patient PSC workers. The Phoenix folks said that retroactive and pay increases for Health Services folks would take from 20 Sep - 3 Nov.  Then it is announced on 2 Nov that they are going to need an extension of many weeks to get everyone's accounts topped up.  They have not done everything they could to succeed and failed once again to be transparent.  Surely if you can do it for some, you should be able to do it for all.

I've been waiting for a few months now to get my pay fixed. It's been broken since I joined the PS. Underpaid by about 20k/year right now. With every pay period that passes by, what they owe me goes up by about 700$.

Back