• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Phoenix Pay System - Shit's Horrible

They are two separate systems. We gave him an advance on his pay, using a CF52 I believe, and paid him in cash. The expectation is he will bring in the funds to repay the advance on his pay once the lump sum comes in. Yes, there is risk, but there are methods to submit a pay debit against indeterminate civilian pay if he doesn't. Sometimes you need to do what is right.

Managers can do little directly, but they can put pressure upwards.  They can gather information to push it higher so that their supervisors, directors and directors general know the scope of the problem and the people whose lives are being affected.  Which, of course, lets the affected employee know that someone is on their side and making more efforts on their behalf.

Or they can sit back and think that it's someone else's problem to resolve.

Interesting that despite all the "Blueprint 2020" and other feel-good buzzwords about embracing new tools for communication, a quick look at the twitter feeds for the Clerk of the Privy Council, the ADM at PSPC responsible for Phoenix and her second in command shows... nothing.  Not a word.  A comms lockdown, it would appear...

https://twitter.com/Clerk_GC https://twitter.com/brigitte_fortin https://twitter.com/rosannadipaola

Personally not having any problems, but definitely are issues in my organization/government wide.

A good buddy of mine went from a casual to indeterminate in the same job/department (different position #/team) He hasn't been paid in almost 2 months. He got an emergency payment, but he has been living off his savings.

I feel that there are multiple problems:

- Rolled out too quickly (# of departments/lack of testing) http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/government-expanding-new-pay-system-to-67-departments-despite-fact-its-been-a-disaster-so-far
- Under-specified in requirements (Haven't researched this, but giving IBM the benefit of the doubt, and knowing that there are a lot of special situations within the government)
- Centralization of pay services at the same, while cutting pay advisers from most organizations (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/miramichi-public-service-pay-centre-staff-struggling-with-workload-1.3126806)

While I work the standard 7.5/day 35 hours a week and have no leave/benefits as a casual, it has "worked" for me . The biggest gripe I have for leave is I can't officially request/report it until the week of, so if I want to book something off in two months in advance, yes I can ask my manager but I can't physically book it off until that week. With the old system I would of just requested it and pay would have processed it and no issues there. Seeing how some people haven't been paid for months, I'm not going to bitch to loudly at this.

I suspect Be a "team player and stop being so critical" is a major factor in this. No one is willing to stand in front of the cart and say "it's not ready"

Adding to runnormal's points:

- hiring of almost entirely new staff to work the Pheonix pay system - the majority of the personnel working in the regional pay systems were let go, and new staff hired in Miramichi. This was partly as compensation for Miramichi losing the gun registry;
- failure to take care and correct the glitches as they occurred and pay services were switched over; these were ignored, and more and more departments were switched over.

PSPC has quietly set up a web page to provide updateson addressing pay issues.  It's at: http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remuneration-compensation/paye-centre-pay/mise-a-jour-phenix-phoenix-updates-eng.html

dapaterson said:
PSPC has quietly set up a web page to provide updateson addressing pay issues.  It's at: http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remuneration-compensation/paye-centre-pay/mise-a-jour-phenix-phoenix-updates-eng.html

Yay!  Success!  PSPC AND SSC on the issue!  Green square on a status dashboard!  Huzzah!!!

What we've heardWhat we've doneProgress made
Performance issues in some departments to authorize large number of transactions in Phoenix.
PSPC and Shared Services Canada are reviewing to fix urgently.
Resolved.

::)

Jesus help us. Shared Services? Almost as dysfunctional and poorly initiated as...well, PSPC.

Spoke to my Friend in Miramichi, and he says some Manager have just walked out(never to return) and dumped it onto their subordinates. Internally they are trying to see if they can start trying to migrate small groups at a time to the old system without approval from higher up as they see it as a more productive use of their time. Says every Third file he comes across is screwed up; and one in 20 are so bad no one wants to touch them (being the employee owes the government thousands in over payments or people are owed thousands in payments) 

OK!  Let's "PASS THE BUCK":

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Lack of training, not Phoenix, responsible for pay issues, tribunal hears
Ashley Burke · CBC News 

Union accuses senior official of 'blaming everybody else, except the pay system itself'

A senior official responsible for rolling out the federal government's Phoenix payroll system told a labour tribunal Wednesday the issues that led to pay problems for some 80,000 employees are due to a lack of training, not the software itself.

"As long as people enter [information] wrong, it will be wrong. It could be wrong ten years from now," testified Rosanna Di Paola, the associate assistant deputy minister responsible for the federal government's Phoenix pay system.

"To do it over again, I would have made training absolutely mandatory," she said.

"We underestimated the time it took people to adapt to the new technology. The learning curve just seemed to be much longer that we expected."

Di Paola was testifying at the Public Service Labour Relations Employment Board tribunal hearing concerning the Public Service Alliance of Canada's complaint that the government broke the law by not paying public servants accurately or on time due to the Phoenix pay system fiasco.

Since the new Phoenix payroll system "went live" in February, more than 80,000 public servants have been underpaid, overpaid, or not paid at all.

But Di Paola testified that the Phoenix technology isn't to blame.

"You may have heard 80,000 people are having pay problems. Those are not Phoenix-related issues," testified Di Paola. "What those 80,000 employees had are cases or pay requests for — acting

[pay], overtime, increment requests — at the pay centre that we hadn't gotten to in a timely fashion."  Rosanna Di Paola
Rosanna Di Paola is the associate assistant deputy minister responsible for the federal government's Phoenix pay system
Her department identified two root causes for the issues.

"The information is not being entered into the departmental HR system in a timely way or correct way," said Di Paola. "The second root cause we found is the processing time in Miramichi has been slower than expected."

Di Paola says four satellite pay centres were opened to deal with the backlog of pay requests and ease up the workload at the Miramichi pay centre.

Payroll and HR now linked

Before Phoenix, if human resources staff didn't input data into the system in a timely or accurate matter, it didn't affect employees pay. Di Paola says a separate department would duplicate that work and enter the information into its payroll system for workers to get their pay cheques.

The biggest change with Phoenix is that HR and payroll are now integrated. HR staff must input the data, it flows into Pheonix, and Phoenix pays it out, explained Di Paola.

Di Paola testified that for the past three years she warned HR departments "just how critical their work had now become" and "would bring this point home" at monthly meetings with the HR council.

"Once we're integrated what they do in HR is really crucial because it could mean that employees don't get paid or don't get paid correctly," Di Paola said she told HR staff.

Di Paolo said she didn't have the authority to make training mandatory.

Each deputy head for the 101 departments that transitioned to Phoenix had to decide if the training was mandatory or not. Most opted it wasn't, she said. Compensation advisors were the only staff that had to carry-out instructor-lead training.

The rest could access the Canada School of Public Service and take the web-based training. Di Paola said she also provided some departments with a CD with all the training modules so they could make them available on the department's own servers.

Public servants returning from disability leave had issues

As well, she pointed to a wiki for the government of Canada where they posted dozens of documents such as tips and trick on how to do things for managers, HR staff, and compensation advisors in Phoenix.

Di Paolo said that if she could "do it over again" she would have worked with the deputy minister and her deputy colleagues to make training mandatory for all users.

Di Paolo also said people returning from disability leave had troubles getting the accurate pay because they weren't filling out their timecards properly.

"[In] many cases there was a little education on part of the department to let them know about their gradual return to work. If they can only work a day, they need to put in their time or they don't get paid."

Prior to Phoenix employees would fill out paper timecards to get paid and a compensation advisor would key it into the system, she said. Phoenix moved the process online, but Di Paolo said training is also online and available.

The union that launched the labour complaint was "embarrassed" by "Di Paola's testimony and called parts of it "deplorable."

"It's embarrassing," said Chris Aylward, the national vice-president of the Public Service Alliance of Canada.

"We have the manager responsible for the implementation of a new pay system who is basically blaming everybody else, except the pay system itself."

"80,000 people didn't input their information properly — I find that very hard to believe," he said. "And there is no problem with the pay system — I find that extremely hard to believe."

"She even went as far as to blame people coming back from disability," added Aylward."That's unconscionable. How can you blame the victims because they're not getting paid. That is totally unacceptable. She is failing to acknowledge any of the issues."

Claims process to compensate workers for out-of-pocket expenses

The Treasury Board Secretariat is launching a claims process sometime this week to reimburse public servants for out-of-pocket expenses incurred because of the Phoenix problems, the tribunal also heard Wednesday.

"A claimant can complete their claim by going to the web site, filling out the form...including receipts that should be attached to rationalize or explain the expenses they have occurred," said Renée Lafontaine, who is in charge of setting up the office.

"We have set up an operational claims officer in each department to guide them through and help them complete the claim."

LaFontaine testified that the main priority is to make sure workers across the federal government are all treated equally and reimbursed in the same way,

For most straight-forward claims under $500, workers will be paid out immediately by an operational claims officer in each department.

More complicated claims will be sent to the Treasury Board Secretariat's claims office and may take longer for reimbursement.

Out-of-pocket expenses include interest that accumulated on credit cards, loans, or lines of credit because workers weren't getting paid properly, as well as any interest paid because employees had to withdraw investments.

LaFontaine said the government at this point will not be reimbursing people for items they can't prove with a receipt. For example, if a child couldn't attend summer camp, or a worker missed out on an investment opportunity because of the Phoenix pay problems.

Closing arguments will be delivered Thursday in front of the Public Service Labour Relations Employment Board. It could take the board three months or more to make its decision.

More on LINK.

NOTE:  This page is a work in progress, so CBC will be amending it from time to time.

George Wallace said:
OK!  Let's "PASS THE BUCK":

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

More on LINK.

NOTE:  This page is a work in progress, so CBC will be amending it from time to time.

"She even went as far as to blame people coming back from disability," added Aylward."That's unconscionable. How can you blame the victims because they're not getting paid. That is totally unacceptable. She is failing to acknowledge any of the issues."

FFS, just because you're disabled doesn't mean you are incapable of making mistakes.

In the reserve world, if someone didn't get paid because they didn't fill out a pay sheet, that's not the problem of the pay office, the pay mangers, or the pay system (RPSR); the problem is with the member not filling out their damn pay sheet!

Now, I do agree that the AADM is passing the buck on way too much. If we never bothered to even tell our newest recruits that to get paid they need to fill out a pay sheet, than that's a problem with leadership and the chain of command; but, it's still not a problem with the pay system itself. However, if you're going to be instituting a brand new pay system, that the people in charge of that pay system really REALLY need to drive home the teaching points.

Sadly, it sounds like this Chris Aylward won't be happy with any finding of the tribunal unless it results in heads rolling, and I feel the public mob is the same way.

As a user of the system, I have the following observations:

1.  Information is not presented in ways that is usable.  For example, most public servants are paid annual rates of pay.  The pay statements from Phoenix do not show that information; rather, they show bi-weekly rates, which must be multiplied by 26.088 to figure out the annual rate.

2.  Year to date information only appears on the most recent pay statement.  Should you choose to access a historical pay statement, YTD information is not shown.  It is odd that pay statements show different information depending on when you access them.

3.  There is no explanation of transactions on your pay.  One would think that a new pay rate, or the cessation or commencement of an allowance would warrant a mention or explanation on the pay statement, but there is nothing shown.  The only solution is to call a pay advisors somewhere in New Brunswick, but since they do not answer calls but instead call back based on some system of triage, you're pretty much out of luck if you need an explanation of something on your pay.

4.  Pay calculations are incorrect.  A few examples: I have seen people paying into the wrong pension accounts; people having double pension payments charged on current service; people having acting pay rates miscalculated - even to the point of being paid rates of pay that don't exist; and people having pension contributions withheld from a retroactive payment, but then not having that retroactive payment paid out.

5.  The training materials showed a different system configuration from the live system.  This has been corrected somewhat, but it was initially quite disconcerting to have key links from the training materials not existing in the production system.

Any system is not merely software - it's people, processes, information and systems coming together to deliver an effect.  It's clear that PSPC had a narrow focus on computer systems, and did not give a great deal of attention to other areas of the federal payroll system.  Data integrity is always an issue in migrating between computer systems; again, from the public testimony, it does not appear that any particular attention or effort was made to clean up the data before going live.

From many years ago, one of our seaman had fiscal issues when he mentioned that $600 every 2 weeks was not enough, we said "you should be getting $960 every 2 weeks". Digging through the codes we realized he was getting dinged for both BC and Quebec tax at the same time, for over a year. When we complained to compensation they tried berating him for showing us his paystub. He finally got a big payback, but seriously not doing their job and getting mad when people complain. I see that attitude still runs through them to the top.
I hope these people that get screwed on pay and get reimbursed over the next calendar year demand amended T4's.

I have zero faith these days when it comes to it, I'm now responsible for over a hundred civilians and have been dealing with it for months and 99% of time the only thing I can tell them is to pray.

With the start of GWCC starting, I'm actually counselling people not to make pay deductions because the best phoenix people can tell us is they think they can have it working for charity deductions in December, maaaybe January.

This has been a pretty demoralizing thing :(

Very weak showing by senior PS leadership... :not-again:

Maybe one day EX-04/EX-05s will accept some responsibility...this is a poor showing indeed.  Perhaps is EX-level public servants had PMA's that could actually result in negative bonuses (aka 'penalties'), they would accept greater responsibility in return for their $150K+ salaries?

G2G

Good2Golf said:

Maybe one day EX-04/EX-05s will accept some responsibility...this is a poor showing indeed.  Perhaps is EX-level public servants had PMA's that could actually result in negative bonuses (aka 'penalties'), they would accept greater responsibility in return for their $150K+ salaries?

G2G

I can see a form letter that PS staff might use to deluge their MPs and MLAs... but hey, that's just me....

Good2Golf said:

G2G

Not really seeing any leadership on the issue, panic running around in circles and finger pointing

Colin P said:
Not really seeing any leadership on the issue, panic running around in circles and finger pointing

I don't know who didn't get the training, but I can tell you that the training (PS' own online training) that I took as a military manager of server public servants and that the PS employees themselves undertook, appeared more than sufficient for them to be capable of keeping an eye on their pay...if they actually were payed.  There is an issue here more of the responsible organizations (PWGSC/PSPC) appearing to not have properly planned, tested and implemented the roll-out and integration of Phoenix into the PS HR/pay system.  For some very senior leaders to say "it was HR operators' faults for not inputting things in correctly" shows a complete lack of accountability by leadership, even at this late date well into a very problematic implementation, for the problems.  I bet you there would be more demonstrable action if may of these EX-level leaders' own pay was being impacted the way the rank and file has been.

:not-again:

G2G

I hope those responsible (at all levels) are held accountable for the botched implementation and fired.  The incentive not to do sub-par should be that you get to keep your job.  Bonuses should be kept for the ourstanding and above/beyond kind of work. 

Back