• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pets

Thats terrifing! Does your spider do anything special? Like, I don't know, attack on command? I couldn't handle it if one of my roommates had a pet spider. I'd be sitting awake in bed all night with a big book to protect me... or a bat.

lol i feel your pain man i hate spiders. doesn't matter if your a girl or a guy a big hairy spider is a big hairy spider. :crybaby:

If you are going combat engineer, after BMQ you'll have to do 6 weeks of SQ and 17 weeks of DP1 (your MOC) and they don't run the 043 DP1 all that often so you may be on holding troop for some time before your DP1. All this time you'll be living in the shacks, not allowed to live off base until you are posted to your regiment. The engineers get the cock REAL bad, I highly doubt it you'll be able to hide a tarantula during inspections for 17 weeks on your DP1. On SQ you could probably keep him in civvy lock up no problem, as they don't inspect it.

Cheers.

wouldn't it die in civvy lockup? I mean aren't you not allowed in there?

The civvy key is always with the course senior book, which is always with course senior.

I've done a search, and came up with no real results so decided to post away and if i catch some flak for a missed hit, then so be it.

I simply wanted to inquire as to what everyone living on base does concerning pets? How realistic is a single male living on base with a dog?

Im eyeballing a Boxer puppy (all time favorite dog) but due to my current limbo with the Army (waiting for the CT to go through and get sucked out west). I cant help but feel like it would be an unwise move, but what type of accomodations ie. kennels are on bases?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

If you are currently in "limbo" do not get a dog. Dogs need stability and are not disposable, so keep in mind that when you do get a dog, you should plan on having it for the entirety of it's life.

pets are like children. If you not ready to have one then you are not ready to have the other.

Being single and waiting to join the military is not the time to have either.

Not if you are going on any deployments(which we know will happen).
Wait until you have an s/o who can care for the pet while you are gone.

Until then, maybe consider volunteering with a rescue, or become a temporary foster home for a specific breed rescue...they are desperate for people to help out. I am a part of the Akita Rescue and I know good foster homes are hard to come by.

How do you feel about your dog sitting in a kennel for 6 months while you are overseas?

Yes there are single guys who have dogs but it is not easy for the dog. It all depends how long you feel you can leave your dog alone. I personally don't leave mine alone for more than 8 hours and that is only if it is necessary.

I know alot of people who just can't have a pet of their own, because they're away.  Instead, they volunteer at the local SPCA and spend time with the animals there.

Thanks, you've been helpful.

Akitas eh? They're quite the beautiful dog, but shed a damn lot! Im thinking hard on the foster idea, or just go out and grab me a lady to dogsit for me  ;)

They don't shed all that much, only when they are blowing coat, which is about every 6 months. I found an old lab of ours to shed more than our Akita's.

I think fostering, even through the SCPA, would be a good option for you. You get your pet fix, you help out the dog, even if it is temporary, and you help out the rescue(or humane society). Now keep in mind that most require you to have a fence and be prepared to fork out some money for shots, spaying or neutering, and for the everyday necessities like food and training supplies(collars, leashes, crates and the like).

If you have any specific questions about fostering, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

Usually, around here, if you foster a dog the particulars are taken care of by the society you are fostering for.  Therefore, you wouldn't be out of pocket for vaccines/surgery.  You probably would have to pay for food, toys, etc.; every day type of stuff.  Find this out for sure up front.

I think fostering in your situation is an excellent idea, especially if you have experience with dog training.  There is nothing that a society or shelter likes more than someone they can give dogs to for a unspecified period of time that will work with the dog to make it more adoptable.  It is very difficult to give up these dogs once you become attached to them so make sure you are up for that challenge.  It is definitely a great thing though when you see them with their people later and you know it was you that made a difference in their life.

If you are interested in Boxers volunteer with Boxer rescue in your area.  Phone your local vet clinic or dog club (these people put on various types of purebred dog shows, etc.) for local Boxer rescue info.  You would be doing these dogs a favour and yourself at the same time.

Good luck and I feel your pain.  I got 2 goldfish while I was on my Three's in Borden because I couldn't live without a pet anymore.  I got caught though, which wasn't really a huge deal.  :)  I have 2 dogs now and wouldn't have it any other way.

Anyway, if you can't find any info for your area let me know and I'm sure I can find out for you. 

Yes, sorry Brin11, I should have specified.
With the breed specific rescues, you may have to fork out those costs, but through a society(like the SPCA) they will usually cover those costs.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Im shooting for Edmonton, and hopefull i land up on target. if so, i'll be looking good and hard at what my options there are. Thanks for the many helpful replies!

I'm glad you're going to think carefully about getting an animal. I'm in a bit of a panic right now because both my husband and I will be gone this summer (I'm off to basic and he's doing his QL 3s) and we have two cats. We've got friends who are willing to take them, but I feel really horrible about leaving them. If I had known three years ago where my life was heading, I wouldn't have gotten the cats. Anyways, good luck.

Cheers.

Until you find someone other then yourself to help you out when you are not around, ie g/f, b/f, parents etc.  I would wait.  Also if you are really bent on getting a puppy I would get it as soon as a X Mas leave or summer leave starts (I get 3 weeks off for both).  That way you have 100% of your time to train the puppy and make sure everything is coming along.  You may consider getting an older dog who is already house broken.  Another concern is where you live.  If your single and living in the shacks you won't be able to have a pet.  Also in Wpg there where some restrictions on pets in certain living area's.  Finally I am of the mindset that my dog should have another dog or cat as company a friend if you will.  For those times your out to dinner or the movies or at work they will have company with each other.  I realize that's a lot to ask for in a new dog owner but that's how I role.

CFL said:
Until you find someone other then yourself to help you out when you are not around, ie g/f, b/f, parents etc.  I would wait.  Also if you are really bent on getting a puppy I would get it as soon as a X Mas leave or summer leave starts (I get 3 weeks off for both).  That way you have 100% of your time to train the puppy and make sure everything is coming along.  You may consider getting an older dog who is already house broken.  Another concern is where you live.  If your single and living in the shacks you won't be able to have a pet.  Also in Wpg there where some restrictions on pets in certain living area's.  Finally I am of the mindset that my dog should have another dog or cat as company a friend if you will.  For those times your out to dinner or the movies or at work they will have company with each other.  I realize that's a lot to ask for in a new dog owner but that's how I role.

I suppose your advice is well intentional, but this person should not even be encouraged to buy any sort of pet, a Puppy to say the least.

Having been Posted to Camp Borden & Valcartier Detachments, even under the best of circumstances in the PMQ's we were continuously having to pick up stray or abandoned cats and dogs which we had to dispose of. That again is another storey.

Its bad enough in the PMQ's were there is a resemblance of stability but in Barracks.

Cheers.

Back