• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Vs; Edmonton for a Sapper

SemperFidelis

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys & gals...

I'm just looking for suggestions / experience with regards to being posted to either Edmonton or Petawawa as a Combat Engineer.   Any suggestions, experiences, preference etc etc...

Petawawawa is a name that just won't quit.  Edmonton, has a beginning and an end.  Both Bases are near a major metropolitan area (Edmonton and Ottawa).  (Oh....Edmonton is a fair distance from the Base and a real pain to get to without a car - $30 to get downtown, $38 to Whyte Ave and $40 to the West Edmonton Mall)  Edmonton has Rainwright two plus hours down the road, while Pet has its Engr Trg area outside the back door.  A large Double Double costs $1.40 in Edmonton without Sales Tax, while in Pet a large Double Double costs $1.35 with Sales Tax included - go figure....how much can you save on Timmies alone in a year.  Edmonton is cold in the Winter.  Petawawa is cold in the Winter. 

I spent 18 of 23 years as a sapper in 1 CER, so I think you can guess my answer.... ;D

you will also be much heavier in Pet.  It may feel like heavier gravity, but it's reall just that Ontario sucks so hard.  Same reason all the trees in Alberta lean toward the East.

Kat,
Must be a sucker for punishment?

Each area has it's own pros and cons......
Valcatraz has it's own problems I guess while Gagetown is clossest to CFSME and oportunities to pick up new doctrine.
All depends on what you are looking for

No, just an overwhelming aversion to the Centre of the Known Universe, no desire to live in the Maritimes, and absolutely no ability to learn Canada's autre lang. Lahr is long gone, so my choice was obvious.

SemperFidelis said:
I'm just looking for suggestions / experience with regards to being posted to either Edmonton or Petawawa as a Combat Engineer.   Any suggestions, experiences, preference etc etc...
You may as well start with any of the Petawawa vs Edmonton threads in the Infantry Board.  The differences in trg areas and community are the same regardless of your occupation.  All other differences are fluid and can change with a new CO or Bde Comd.

The attitude is any unit is dependent on the command climate the leadership puts out. SO, it really matters who is in charge. Both 1 and 2 CER has excellent leadership.

What really makes the difference is the attitude of the civilian population. I say this without being posted to Pet for quite a few years but I found most civvies in Pet to be passive-aggressive towards Soldiers in general. Of course, the Soldiers act pretty much the same way.

Edmonton is a great army town. I loved it there lots of close ties between the city and the army. I loved Pet because it was and is a great place to soldier. Lots of training area close by and good faculties for the Regiment.

I think you would be happy in either. How is that for a middle of the road response?  :salute:

I would say go to Pet.  Never been posted there myself but have lots of buddies there.  Morale is way higher and the leadership is better.  Ours is getting better now that we have a new CO but we miss RSM Hartford.  Don't really know the new RSM but he seems alright.  The problem in 1 CER is you are just a number to the rear ech and are treated as such.

Being away from the city in Pet (away from Ottawa) the boys party with each other a lot more than we do.  Here everyone just goes there own ways after a days work.

Your call but theres my 2 cents worth.

Sapper477 said:
I would say go to Pet.   Never been posted there myself but have lots of buddies there.   Morale is way higher and the leadership is better.   Ours is getting better now that we have a new CO but we miss RSM Hartford.   Don't really know the new RSM but he seems alright.   The problem in 1 CER is you are just a number to the rear ech and are treated as such.
I'm sceptical just based on the high proportion of leadership in both 1 & 2 CER which migrates between the two units.  But then, I think others have aptly addressed this theme of your in other threads:

Sapper6 said:
Sapper477,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can't help but think there's some sour grapes in yours.   From your previous posts it looks like you have an OT in to Flt Engr. True? Perhaps you're not cut out to be in the Engineers?   Else, why not stay in and try to affect the change you so dearly desire?

Again, I can't help but notice that you have never served in 2 CER.   How does that go again? Grass is always greener on the....

S6.
Chimo said:
IMHO Sapper 477 needs to grow up. IF you have an issue with someone in 1 CER take it up with them. It is easy to hide in here and make comments that slag the whole Regiment.

If you have never been to 2 CER how can you state it is better? Unless you got something to add that is concrete and relevant I would hope you would not speak of 1 CER in that way again.   :salute:

First of all, I would say go to Edmonton for the simple fact that you don't know how to spell Petawawa and your mail would never find you.

However, I will say this:

I have served in both units and luckily I left 1 CER for 2 CER. It was like night and day between the two units. This was in the early 90's and 1 CER was in Chilliwack away from the rest of the Brigade. Chilliwack was nice, but the job sucked big time. Sitting around stores, cleaning tools, sharpening shovels, painted hammers, etc. Went to Pet and boom, the rest of the brigade was there so we were training, training, training. Nothing better if you ask me although there are enough lazy pers who think otherwise.

As I can't speak for the state of 1 CER nowadays however, I would say that it is pretty close to 2 CER in that they are swamped with tasks and tours and that they find themselves doing 10 things half-assed instead of 5 things right.

As a Sapper, you are like a prick in that you will go where you're shoved so don't worry about which unit is better or not. Each unit has it's own pro's and cons for sure.

People who are in Pet, like Pet. People who are in Edmonton, like Edmonton. And then there is me, I am in Gagetown and hate it!!!!! hahaha

Whatever choice you make will be a good one.

CHIMO!!!!!

Spent 16 years in 2 CER and loved every minute of it.  Posted to 2, 4 and CFSME.  All places have their strengths and weaknesses.  The challenge is to make the best of all the situations you encounter.  If something isn't going well, do what you can to change it.  Don't give me the lame excuse that Clps have no power to influence things, you are either part of the problem or part of the solution.  You decide!!  Throughout my 25 years I have always been amazed at how many pers bitch and wine and do nothing, and how few sappers take the opportunity to try to influence things!!!  May not always be successful, but at least TRY.

Sorry I haven't really been able to reply...but thank you so much for all of your input! I haven't really decided where I'd like to be posted. Obviously the military has the final say but if I had the choice I still wouldn't know.  Family is close to Pet. (Ottawa)  and there's a few people I know at Pet.  However, a few people have suggested Edmonton, including some of the instructors at Basic...in fact most of them! If you're reading this thread I hope you post your thoughts/experiences as it would be really helpful.  It's very much appreciated! Thank you all.
:cdn:

Well...looks like Im going to be in Edmonton.  My whole course (grad June 21st) is being posted there except for three people who are going to Valcartier. I was hoping for Edmonton before, but home is closer to Pet.  Glad I got 1CER.   

Hope the course is going well and that you are learning all sorts of neat new things.
When you get down to it, all the Engineer units are good homes.... Edmonton will be good - be it the Feb Chinook 0R the july snow storms.

Chimo!

SemperFidelis said:
Well...looks like Im going to be in Edmonton.  My whole course (grad June 21st) is being posted there except for three people who are going to Valcartier. I was hoping for Edmonton before, but home is closer to Pet.  Glad I got 1CER.   

Good on ya sister!

You made it!

Too bad I am in Toronto, otherwise I would have purchased a pint...consider it waiting for ya!  And don't forgert the fork and Phone!

dileas

tess

admit it, you're just drawn to my manly manliness!

Not you Tessie, the Hottie-Soon-to-be-Sapper!

Back