• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Thread- Merged

George Wallace said:
Irvings Big Stop for Saturday Brunch.

Used to be Bell's Truck Stop[years and years ago]....home of the hangover sandwich. :cdnsalute:

tree hugger said:
Hey,

I'm heading up to Pet for my HHT in 2 more sleeps.  Can anyone recommend a good pub grub place in Pembroke?

-th

Just finished my HHT. Not a lot of avail in Pembroke, look in Deep River, lots avail.  JJ's was good, Finnegans was pretty good as well.

Love793 said:
Just finished my HHT. Not a lot of avail in Pembroke, look in Deep River, lots avail.  JJ's was good, Finnegans was pretty good as well.

I just sold my house in the east side of Pembroke.  This year the real estate market has been markedly slower in Pembroke compared to recent years.  However, there is a lot on the market.  Generally, the house prices are higher in the east end as there are more newer homes.  If you are looking for something under $200,000 it will be hard to find in the east end.  Keep in mind that taxes are higher in Pembroke than Petawawa or the Laurentian Valley. 

This is what I have heard regarding the slow down in the Pembroke real estate market.  I am not a real estate expert but this is what I have heard. 

Realtors and builders have flooded the area of Pembroke and Petawawa with new subdivisions and new homes in 2006.  This was done on spec that there would be a new battalion coming to Petawawa.  This of course was CSOR and it did not come to fruition in the way that realtors had thought.  Unfortunately, these new homes are priced rather high and CF members are not willing to pay 235 - 250,000+ for the privelege of living in the Upper Ottawa Valley.  Although these new houses are selling, they are not selling as quickly as the builders had hoped. 

In response to the above statement, many CF members have opted to live in PMQs. Thus, there is a rather long waiting list for PMQs, and is something that has not been seen in PET for quite some time. 

I would not hesitate to recommend living in Pembroke.  For me, it was far enough off base that I felt I was not living in PMQs, and from the Irving station to the back gate on Hwy 17, it took me 20-25 minutes to drive.  Houses in Petawawa sell much faster than in Pembroke, of course.  The average selling time in Pembroke is 3 months and that is how long it took me to sell my house.

There is a lot available and you should be able to find something.  Good luck   

As I live in Deep River, I would recommend it. Not as many amenities compared to Pembroke, but it is slowly growing larger, and has a VERY welcoming small town feel. No 'military/local' divide either. Timmies, Burger King (A&W coming soon), Subway, big new Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, and Marks Work Warehouse.

Plus a free boat launch, miles and miles of x-country ski/running trails, Summerfest every 2 years, and the best wings I've had in the valley at the Bear's Den (on Hwy 17).

Off topic- what is commuting assistance?????

EDIT: Just searched for it. Nevermind!!!

Towards_the_gap said:
Off topic- what is commuting assistance?????

Something given to Reservists who live outside of a fixed radius of their unit, who have no access to local Public Transit.  I think that a Reg Force person who lives outside of a certain radius of their place of work, on Posting would not be entitled to such an entitlement as "they willfully choose to live" outside of that area. 

I lived just outside of Pet by Deep River and it also took me only 20-25 minutes to get to the back gate.  Granted, you're not as close to the big box stores, but you can pretty puch get anything you need in Deep.  There's even a health/bulk food store and a great butcher in Chalk River that you pass by everytime you go home.  Still haven't found one as good here in Kingston.

As an added benifit...if there's ever an "incident" in Chalk River you are upstream.  ;D

Thanks for all you input!  I'm definately planning on being south of the base.  I've got a few options in my price range and I'm pretty realistic - this is my first house after all and doing it on one salary, I understand my options/limitations.... 

HHT starts tomorrow!  :D

Take a rain coat....supposed to rain all day...like right now!  LOL

Regards

Saturday August 16 2008 Petawawa Civic Centre

http://www.cesba.ca/1ndex.html

OK, I've got a house - woowoo!

I just cancelled my cable and internet that I have here in TO.  I knew that Pet/Pem has cogeco so I was anxious to jump ship from Rogers to them for my cable and internet.  I've come to find out that cogeco doesn't have interenet service there yet...  Anyone know who I should go with in Pembroke for internet or intenet/cable bundle?

Thanks,

th

tree hugger said:
OK, I've got a house - woowoo!

I just cancelled my cable and internet that I have here in TO.  I knew that Pet/Pem has cogeco so I was anxious to jump ship from Rogers to them for my cable and internet.  I've come to find out that cogeco doesn't have interenet service there yet...  Anyone know who I should go with in Pembroke for internet or intenet/cable bundle?

Thanks,

th

Bell is pretty much the only alternative for a bundle if you don't want Rogers.

Regards

Add to that the sporadic availability of high speed, especially in the newer subdivisions.

We did the Bell phone, satellite TV and internet combo.  You do save a bit (not much, it's Bell!  ;) ).

Their customer service sucks but we didn't have any huge issues with any of the services.  Also convenient to have everything on one bill.

Is there any demand for shared accomodations (in family owned house) in Petawawa?  We are being posted to Pet and we have always rented out one or two rooms to students and it's worked well especially for my wife at times where I'm away from home.  So my wife was wondering if there's any demand in Pet if we were to rent out a room or two?  Single soldiers looking to get out of the shacks perhaps?  Either that or we're buying in Pembroke close to the college and renting a couple of rooms to students, so we would really appreciate if someone has a good idea on what the demand for rooms would be like in Pet.

Back