• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Thread- Merged

How much is the rent for PMQs in Petawawa? My fiance is being posted there and we where wondering how much the rent is? and General(average) Cost of Utlities?

CFHA Petawawa Link

Rates

Community Info

Total DND Housing Units - 1600
Housing Type / No. Bdrms / Shelter Charge
Row house /4/ From $545
Row house /3/  From $500
Single house /4/From $680
Single house /3/ From $620
Single house /2/ From $565
Semi-detached /4/ From $665
Semi-detached /3/ From $615
Semi-detached /2/ From $720
Apartment /3/ From $623
Apartment /2/ From $568

Note: Shelter charges are in effect from 1 April 2008 to 31 March 2009. Figures are approximate and do not reflect other charges such as utilities, garages, etc., unless otherwise specified. For more detailed information, please contact your local Housing Management Office.

Here's my $.02 worth.

Renting is about half a mortgage for a decent house around Pet. If you can afford it... buy a house.

Regards

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
Here's my $.02 worth.

Renting is about half a mortgage for a decent house around Pet. If you can afford it... buy a house.

Regards

The very best advice you'll ever receive.  I was only able to retire when I did because my wife INSISTED that we buy a house as soon as we could scrape up a down-payment (I wanted a Harley, and a boat, and a camper, and, and, and).  Although over the years we did sell houses for less than we paid for them, we were building EQUITY all that time - and are now mortgage free, enabling us to live solely on my pension, if we ever have to.

The sooner you start, the sooner you'll be mortgage free - and "Freedom 55" happened to me when I was 43.  Although I argued at the time of the first purchase - my wife was much wiser than I when it came to financial matters (although if you repeat that to her, I'll deny saying it  ;) )

Just FYI:

In Mississauga, a TO bedroom suburb, a good 2 bedroom apartment with washer and dryer/air conditioning costs around $1400 a month. Pretty sad !

In Mississauga a similar used apartment sells for around $205,000.

And I keep checking MLS and find in Kingston $210000 would buy a house.
Oh yaaa!

Roy Harding said:
The very best advice you'll ever receive.  I was only able to retire when I did because my wife INSISTED that we buy a house as soon as we could scrape up a down-payment (I wanted a Harley, and a boat, and a camper, and, and, and).  Although over the years we did sell houses for less than we paid for them, we were building EQUITY all that time - and are now mortgage free, enabling us to live solely on my pension, if we ever have to.

I've often wondered why so many people live in Q's and not purchase.  Is it because they like the convenience of living close to work?  Or is it because they can't quality for a mortgage?

Can anyone here give me some insight into, in general, what type of house and what area of town and any other options that make a house more "sellable" in Pet.  I realize this varies per individual, but, as in any other area, there are streets that are more desireable and streets that one should heed with caution.

We are buying in the off season and frankly, there's not a heck of a lot for sale from what we've been sent by our relator.

As a result, I want to buy something that will give me the best chance of selling once it's time.  Our relator has given us some tips, but I do not like to rely solely on one person's opinions, so any information you can give is appreciated.

Nix said:
Can anyone here give me some insight into, in general, what type of house and what area of town and any other options that make a house more "sellable" in Pet.  I realize this varies per individual, but, as in any other area, there are streets that are more desireable and streets that one should heed with caution.

We are buying in the off season and frankly, there's not a heck of a lot for sale from what we've been sent by our relator.

As a result, I want to buy something that will give me the best chance of selling once it's time.  Our relator has given us some tips, but I do not like to rely solely on one person's opinions, so any information you can give is appreciated.

Stick to the new subdivisions right in Pet. There has been a reluctance to buy the older homes in the area the past few seasons.

Although I heard that some of the new sub-divisions were built on swamp land and now some of the homeowners are dealing with water in their basements.

One of the trends I see on MLS is that it's difficult to see a home on the main drag, so be weary of that.

tree hugger said:
Although I heard that some of the new sub-divisions were built on swamp land and now some of the homeowners are dealing with water in their basements.

Those were mostly to the Southwest of Doran St and Petawawa Blvd.  Another area would be those built down in some of the land around Petawawa Point.

Most of the newer developments around the airport and the Beer Store are in sand.

Look outside Pet in the township. Same drive, lower taxes and the prices are not as inflated. IMO the tour pay and 'Afghan' economy has been keeping the market artificially high in the area.
Expect to pay 225-275(+) in any new subdivision and recommend you keep it under 300 if you hope to sell in a couple of years.  All the best with your move.

Nix said:

Location, Location, Location.
The established roads you can tell quite easily.  Proximal to Base., Off main tributaries (Doran/Murphy/Petawawa) etc etc.
Otherwise, the usual as applicable everywhere.

Garage (preferably with interior access).  Who designs garages where you have to access from the outside?
Non-Corner lots
A/C is good

You just missed out on a tremendous deal IMHO...so did I :(.  The selling realtor grossly fumbled frankly...to their benefit, not the sellers...or us.  Oh well., live and learn.

cdnleaf said:
Expect to pay 225-275(+) in any new subdivision and recommend you keep it under 300 if you hope to sell in a couple of years.  All the best with your move.

That is double what I sold my place (with carport and garage) on Herman Street for in 2005.

George Wallace said:
That is double what I sold my place (with carport and garage) on Herman Street for in 2005.

Indeed, 'doubling-up' in 5 years particularly from 04/05-09/10 is not uncommon. It has become quite lucrative George. I think the semis in Limestone Trail (just remembered the name,) were going for approx 210. The new builds in/around Doran start around 275 if I'm not mistaken. I often thought the area had the most car dealerships per capita in Canada. Now I believe it's a close second to real estate agents lol.  All the best, Dan.

I don't know what the rental market is like around Pet, but you may want to consider this option. As was mentioned earlier, housing prices are at their peak in the area, somewhat artificially inflated by all the tax free money, guys who moved from out west before the crash, and the cheap mortgage money. Take away Afghanistan (or reduce it as we now know), add in higher interest rates in afew years when you want to sell, and you could lose your shirt. Just ask some of the guys one the thread about the HEA. Contrary to what many may think, a house should not be an investment, but a home. If you can't afford to lose the equity you put in, then think long and hard before buying.

And don't discount Pembroke.  When I was house hunting, there was nothing I could afford in Pet.  My options were better in Pembroke and you get more for your money.

Petawawa has always been plagued by Car Dealers and Real Estate Agents stiffing the Service Member or AECL employee.  There are more Car Dealers in Petawawa/Pembroke per capita than anywhere else in Canada.  When the CF cut back on postings a decade or so ago the Real Estate Agents in Pembroke/Petawawa all complained to the Government that their livelihoods would be ruined ........... after ripping off the Service members for decades.  The Car Dealerships complained as well.  ::)

People have escaped the Realtors in the area by buying in Chalk River and Deep River to the West; Cobden, Renfrew and Arnprior to the East; South towards and in Eganville; and across the river into the Pontiac (Quebec).

I must admit, I was lucky to find a good Realtor through the system that Don Wyld has set up with former Service Members who have gone into the Real Estate business across Canada.  He has been able to connect me with very reliable Agents, from different agencies, on all my moves since the late eighties.  They know what a Service Member wants and needs and are honest and reliable, not out to scam you.

tree hugger said:
And don't discount Pembroke.  When I was house hunting, there was nothing I could afford in Pet.  My options were better in Pembroke and you get more for your money.

That will be offset by your cost of car repairs due to the worse roads in the Valley

George Wallace said:
Petawawa has always been plagued by Car Dealers and Real Estate Agents stiffing the Service Member or AECL employee.  There are more Car Dealers in Petawawa/Pembroke per capita than anywhere else in Canada.  When the CF cut back on postings a decade or so ago the Real Estate Agents in Pembroke/Petawawa all complained to the Government that their livelihoods would be ruined ........... after ripping off the Service members for decades.  The Car Dealerships complained as well.  ::)

People have escaped the Realtors in the area by buying in Chalk River and Deep River to the West; Cobden, Renfrew and Arnprior to the East; South towards and in Eganville; and across the river into the Pontiac (Quebec).

I must admit, I was lucky to find a good Realtor through the system that Don Wyld has set up with former Service Members who have gone into the Real Estate business across Canada.  He has been able to connect me with very reliable Agents, from different agencies, on all my moves since the late eighties.  They know what a Service Member wants and needs and are honest and reliable, not out to scam you.

That's painting everybody with a pretty broad brush.  While I agree there are some seedy real estate agents in the area I have had good service and thee are those who are willing to do that little bit extra to help.
If people educated themselves then they wouldn't deal with the sleazeballs and if you know what you want thee is less chance of getting ripped.  Unfortunately alot of people have eyes bigger than their bankbooks when it comes to house buying
Same goes for car buying

riggermade said:
That's painting everybody with a pretty broad brush.  While I agree there are some seedy real estate agents in the area I have had good service and thee are those who are willing to do that little bit extra to help.

What did I say?

I must admit, I was lucky to find a good Realtor .....

They are out there.

Back