• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Personal car at Basic, or other courses? [MERGED]

Hatchet Man said:
Actually I have been wondering this myself, as I have been pondering on making a CT to Medtech, and seeing as how a very large portion of the course is going to be in B.C., I was wondering if should sell my car before going on course.

Your MedTech QL3 will be done at JIBC Chilliwack, and having a car will do you wonders in morale and happiness. Not that you'll have THAT much time to zoom zoom around, but it is handy none the less :)

If your are in Gagetown, get a car. Trust me, you will be so much happier and you will never have so many "Friends"!!! :)

MedTech said:
Your MedTech QL3 will be done at JIBC Chilliwack, and having a car will do you wonders in morale and happiness. Not that you'll have THAT much time to zoom zoom around, but it is handy none the less :)

Well seeing as how I live in Ontario at the present moment, I am not sure about the CF shipping my F&E for the JIBC portion of the course ;)

Hatchet Man said:
Well seeing as how I live in Ontario at the present moment, I am not sure about the CF shipping my F&E for the JIBC portion of the course ;)

Meh! Drive there mate :) see the rest of the country ;D Besides, seriously you won't regret it. Because if you do come out here, you better be willing to drive out the Vancouver for a M&G because we're not driving out to the wack.

MedTech said:
Meh! Drive there mate :) see the rest of the country ;D Besides, seriously you won't regret it. Because if you do come out here, you better be willing to drive out the Vancouver for a M&G because we're not driving out to the wack.
  Well I am going to enjoy my class B time before I pull the trigger on making a CT.

:)

I am switching over to reg force infantry from the reserves. I will probably have to go through BMQ again. Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to have your own vehicle when you go to BMQ?

OtsegoUndead said:
Can anyone tell me if you are aloud to have your own vehicle when you go to BMQ?

I'm sorry, i could not hear your question.

WHAT ?

"Having a car".

I will not even ask how or why, but I would hazard a guess based on the weight and complexity of a car the gestation period of a car would be longer than your course. So as the proud parent of a car, you will have already filled out a FCP and be ready to carry on your duties with the CF.  ;)

OtsegoUndead said:
I am switching over to reg force infantry from the reserves. I will probably have to go through BMQ again. Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to have your own vehicle when you go to BMQ?

If you go to BMQ at CFLRS St-Jean (the Mega) you can have your car there.  There is a specific area you will be required to park it.  I am not familiar with the reg's in Borden or other depots that run BMQs.  Para 2(b)(1) of the CFLRS Joining Instructions (effective Feb 2008) states:

(1) Personal Transport. This method entails the candidate using a personal motor vehicle (whether the vehicle belongs to him/her or someone else). A road map (annex A) can be found at the end of this document. Candidates who wish to park their vehicle in the St-Jean garrison for their course must have registration and insurance papers with them. You will have to park your vehicle in lot K. During the course, you will only be authorized to use your vehicle during designated weekends.

You will be required to provide proof of registration and insurance to the Commissionaire's at the Main Gate I believe, to get your parking pass, but that may have changed.  Page 4 of the .pdf document at the link below refers:

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/site/soyez_prets/qmb/joining_QMB_PEI_PEEO.pdf

I had planned to drive to BMOQ in St. Jean, but was strongly advised against it;  I was told that the parking is very limited at CFLRS.

I'll take the train instead, but will definitely drive to Gagetown for CAP and artillery training in the fall, since I'll be there for over a year.

rytel said:
I had planned to drive to BMOQ in St. Jean, but was strongly advised against it;  I was told that the parking is very limited at CFLRS.

I'll take the train instead, but will definitely drive to Gagetown for CAP and artillery training in the fall, since I'll be there for over a year.

There is ample parking at the Mega.  Has the person who told you that ever been there before?

Eye In The Sky said:
There is ample parking at the Mega.  Has the person who told you that ever been there before?

I'd assume so, since he's a Captain

rytel said:

A Captain?  Was he a Cpl who went through Cornwallis and couldn't make it to MCpl, so is now a "Career Capt", never having been to the province of Quebec?   >:D

Many things change over the years.  Buildings go up.  Buildings come down.  Roads are rerouted.  Lots of changes may have happened since a person had last been somewhere.  I know if I went to Aldershot, I wouldn't recognize the place.  When I returned to Pet after being away ten years, someone had built a shack across the shortcut to our HQ building.  I had to find a new street to drive down.   :-[

rytel said:

Well, your call.  There is parking.  The Joining Instructions for CFLRS, issued on the authority of the Commandant, a Lt Col, say you can bring your car, and where you are to park it.  I am just telling you there is parking for candidates on garrison.  If you take a look at the attached photo, the areas circled (I use the term loosely!) in red are parking lots.  The ones circled in yellow are ones that candidates were/are able to park in.  The main one used by candidates is at the top left corner of the picture, on the NW end of the garrison.  The rest of the lots are for staff/employees.  The picture doesn't show the entire south end of the garrison (clothing stores, CE, etc). 

So...Yes, Virgina, there is a Santa Claus parking for candidates at CFLRS in St-Jean Qc.

You're always a help, Eye In The Sky.  I'll check into the reimbursement for driving/gas vs. taking the train.

rytel said:
You're always a help, Eye In The Sky.  I'll check into the reimbursement for driving/gas vs. taking the train.

There's more to it than that. Either way you get reimbursed, but it's REALLY nice to have a car for weekends. Both for yourself, and because you'll be everybody's best friend. It makes the course a lot more pleasant when you can get out and not be cooped in the Mega, especially if you're doing IAP/BOTP back to back, which I think you said you were rytel.

benny88 said:
There's more to it than that. Either way you get reimbursed, but it's REALLY nice to have a car for weekends. Both for yourself, and because you'll be everybody's best friend. It makes the course a lot more pleasant when you can get out and not be cooped in the Mega, especially if you're doing IAP/BOTP back to back, which I think you said you were rytel.

Didn't have a car for IAP, but last summer I had my car for BOTP and it was awesome! Every weekend we were either cruising around St. Jean or in Montreal. It motivates you to get out and relax; it's nice to get away from the MEGA for a while.

I would strongly recommend brining your car.

Back