• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Peoples Attitudes changed when stated I was joining

As I'm in the process of getting all my information together to make the application smooth, as well as preparing for 2nd year university, I haven't posted much lately, but so far my experience even before applying has been as follows:

Father - Supportive, wants me to be happy and fufilled , no matter what the job. Even though he has a very well paying managerial job, he doesnt truly love it, so he wants me just to be happy.

Mother- Largely pessimistic and non-supportive. Oddly enough she was fine with me wanting to be a police officer.. but once I started talking about the CF she got all worked up and thought I was going to be sent off to die. I still really don't know how to handle her, no matter how rationally I explain things, it just must be the mother in her.

Siblings - Indifferent

Friends - Range from "that's awesome, I wish I had the commitment to do something like that! " to "you want to be a meathead huh? well whatever floats your boat."

Some very odd comments all around.. seing as I was going to apply to the Air Force.. one thing is for sure.. people seem to hold a VERY unfair view of the infantry.. and that's just not right.

I recently started a new job, and when I told my boss I was a reservist he was shocked. 
"Why do you want to be a jarhead?  ::) If you really want to see some action you should join south of the border. You should quit that junk and get a trade. Then you can make some real money."

Needless to say I smiled and laughed, but basically I just wanted to knock him out.

bbob said:
I recently started a new job, and when I told my boss I was a reservist he was shocked. 
"Why do you want to be a jarhead?  ::) If you really want to see some action you should join south of the border. You should quit that junk and get a trade. Then you can make some real money."

Needless to say I smiled and laughed, but basically I just wanted to knock him out.

::) I love hearing my employers views on the CF (both current and past.)  I tried to join the reserves a number of years ago and they said again "Why would you want to do that?" All I could think of was "because I don't want to end up like you."

I got all sorts of comments, like everyone else.
Some common ones I get:
- "...do you want to go to Afghanistan or something???"
- "why? you're almost done college!"
- "So... you get to shoot guns?"
- "If you join, are you going to be sent to Iraq? That's so stupid" (this one jars me the most, if you're going to have an opinion, at least have an educated one)

My parents don't really support it. I am not really sure if they respect it or not.
My grandfather thinks its great (world war II experience).

I personally, cannot wait to get started :)

I have a story for this one.  
I have been going for D.E.O. infantry since December '05, and when I finally got a job offer last week, it really hit the fan:

Muddah:  "You can't go; St. Jean is too far away.  I'm afraid for your safety."

Faddar:  "The army is only recruiting to replace all the people that got killed in Afghanistan.  Once you get out, you will have zero   job prospects.  Do you think these pay rates are good wages?"  (Shows the base pay tables, which everyone gets with their recruiting package).  I did not tell him that there are bonuses and allowances and what not.  "Whatever they are selling you is just a ploy."  I did not tell him how the impetus behind my decision comes entirely from me.  Once dad starts laying down an indictment of an institution, there is no stopping him.

Aunt:  When I told her of my intention to join, with my wife in tow... "If you do that, I'll smack the both of you."

Grandmother:  "I'm praying you don't get in."

In laws:  "...."  Both had their fathers conscripted into the German army to fight in operation Barbarossa.  One didn't come back.  They can neither admit this, nor realize that they were able to find freedom in Canada due to the efforts of our soldiers.

In the end, I'm off to camp Grenada... er... St.Jean, in January because the army offers a job that I will enjoy, in a field I believe in, for a salary that will support my wife and children.  Comming to terms with my family's disagreement helps me come to terms with domestic detractors, and of course, the enemy's consistant opposition.

When people ask if you have a deathwish for wanting to join-up, just reply: "Do you know that more people have been murdered by handgun in Toronto in the last six months than Canadians killed in Afghanistan in the last four years?"

The girlfriend at the time thought it was a really bad idea. Then she stopped complaining about it, becaus eshe realized how much it meant to me. Then three years later she came out and asked me if I was tired of it yet, she figured it was just a phase.

I now have a new girlfriend (a reserve cpl) and I am so much more happy.

I find that people who bash your choice of employer (especially in the infantry) are usually breathtakingly ignorant to the job we do.

Try asking these doubting Thomas' if they actually know anything about the CF, Army or infantry, if they can name an operation, anything really. Most of them are secure in their misconception that we are a mob of poorly paid rubes, marching obediently off to die at the whims of our political masters. I guess no-one told them that Cpls make 50K + a year, and everyone else more than that...

These are undoubtedly the same people who would snort with derision when I tell them "I'll be retired at 39 - mortgage paid off, looking for a new job - having travelled the world, my own country and driven myself physically and mentally to the breaking point. Do you know how much of anything you can do? Did you ever test the limits? Did'nt think so, enjoy windowless cubicle #405, I have to jump out of a plane tomorrow!!"

The month of paid vacation and nice perks like free education, med/dent plans and a network of friends who can do just about anything helps too!

One of the things I like the most about the army is that it is largely filled with "real" people; the kind that do what they say they will, and are'nt all talk about things they know nothing about.

GO!!! said:
One of the things I like the most about the army is that it is largely filled with "real" people; the kind that do what they say they will, and are'nt all talk about things they know nothing about.

Too true Go, this is what I like about it as well. There's very little BS between the troops and when someone says they are going to do something 9 times out of 10 it is done.

I've received a lot of different opinions, but I find they generally revolve around the ignorance/intelligence of a person.  My family is generally supportive, but understandably worried a bit.  Non-Family, seem to not appreciate the decision as much, It's the same as with anything else, most people grab an opinion based on what the liberal media spoon feeds them and keep it until they are given another.  I wouldn't take it too seriously, like it was said earlier, they're just sheep.  I do appreciate the civilians who are smart enough to understand the situations and not just say we appreciate our soldiers blindly.

I've had some positive "We have faith in you. You're doing a good thing. You're going to be a great pilot" and very good support from my wife who has made it clear that she would prefer I picked a different path, but will support me in the one that I chose.

I've also had some negative commentary... Solely out of worry, really.

It really is a unique career choice in a lot of ways... You'll find people that wouldn't care if you chose to be a used car salesman, a banker, a telemarketer suddenly have an opinion about what is best for you.

Regardless though, those of us who have joined or are joining are doing it for our own reasons. The support is great, and even the worry makes you realize that people care about your safety.

People gave me the same reaction when I told them I was joining.  They weren't really sure what to think.  The fact is, all most people have is some half-baked preconception of what the Canadian Forces, or any military, really is. 

NOW... they turn green when they find out:

-  I have a boss who I follow because I want to, not because I have to.  He's a leader with experience I learn from, and he cares about my well-being and takes care of me. 
-  I have been in the military for 4 years and I'm pulling $50k (spec pay) and I get 20 days of leave a year. 
-  I LOVE my job.

All of my friends are university educated.  All of my friends work in cubicles, all of my friends hate their bosses, none of them are experiencing job satisfaction, security, or company loyalty. 

You made a great choice.  You are going to have experiences and gain knowledge you can't buy or fake.  You are going to do a job that counts, and you'll hold your head higher than ever before because of it.  Ask your friends what they think THEN!

Cheers

I suppose I got lucky on the supportive thing... Mom was a captain in the nurses up until she had me, dad's a retired log O who got out a few years ago, stepmom's a log O who's over in the sandbox right now, my great uncle was a mechanic with the C.F. in Germany, great grandfather was a gunner in WW2... Suffice to say that military service is not unusual in my family.  Some were quite surprised when I joined  - I'd previously decided I wanted nothing to do with the military life (yeah yeah, I know, 'reserves!')- but they were universally proud and supportive. I was in Gr. 12 at the time, and a lot of my buddies were kind of jealous of the stuff I got to do. A few of my friends at school thought I was messed up of course, but statistically everyone's bound to have a few friends who don't approve. My girlfriend at the time wasn't happy with me being away for courses, but she supported me too.

*shrug* Like I said, I guess I was just really lucky. I haven't looked back. A few more years of school and then hopefully I can get a tour under my belt.

Sneaky147 said:
-  I have been in the military for 4 years and I'm pulling $50k (spec pay) and I get 20 days of leave a year. 
remind them of this too:  "I get 20 days of paid leave a year" I love that look they get when they hear that.

paracowboy said:
remind them of this too:  "I get 20 days of paid leave a year" I love that look they get when they hear that.

Then explain what shorts and specials are :D . I will be off (all totaled) probably close to 6 or 8 weeks this year..lol. I have long said that the recruiting system just needs to explain the money and time off and to take pics of all the new cars and trucks outside of the shacks a few weeks after tour.

Wow....
I cant beleive the response to my question. I really appreciate the support guys (and gals). Its been kinda weird around my freinds/co-workers lately, but this was a great pickmeup. A few more months and i will be in a position to start the paper work. (ie will be in peak shape).

Thanks a bunch for the perspective!

paracowboy said:
like a sheepdog in the middle of a flock of sheep? Don't worry about it. You feel out of place because you are out of place. You don't belong with the sheep. You belong with us, watching over them. You'll feel better once you're with your own kind.

You just helped me figure out WHY I really want to join. It's not because of some movie. It's not because of anything I have ever read, watched or been exposed to.

I just feel like I am a soldier. Especially when I am around real soldiers and vets. And even more so when I'm NOT.

Thank you for your comment. I hope one day my vision is as clear as yours.

As a young signalman, I was posted to Calgary right out of the school.  I was prouder than anything you could imagine.  This was right around the time of the Somalia affair.  I was on my way to the bank in the old garrison dress when i walked by a lady pushing a baby carriage.  I nodded politely to her and she promptly spit on me and called me a baby killer.  I have never been so shook in my life.  When I got back to the Sqn and told my friends what had happened the traditional bashing of ignorant civvies occurred.  What made me feel better was the fact that I was surrounded by my friends, people who knew and understood what we do and why.  We went drinking that night and forgot all about babykillers and other such nonsense.  You meet your best friends in the army.  Every posting I meet new and wonderful people and make more great friends.  You go for years without seeing some of the dudes that you were with in 93-96, you do a quick half hour of catch up, and youre best friends again.  Every now and then I run into an old school chum and we exchange pleasantries but most of them have no idea whats its like soldiering.  They nod there when I tell a story but can never come up with any story of their own.  Poor people that experience Groundhog Day for a very long period of their lives.  We most certainly are our own kind.

I feel the Army is my calling in life .. unfortunatley my wife does not think the same. She feels she didn't marry me, to be away for long periods of time. I currently work during the week loading trucks, but I find it meaningless .. I'd rather put my skills to a better cause. I obviously have alot of things to ponder, but reading this topic has helped put things into perspective.

Back