• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pastimes and hobbies that hook you :)

FormerHorseGuard said:
But now for the most part I m into model trains

I don't know if you have ever been to this place, but it's a must see. I used to go their with my father and my son. It's been there since 1938! Very impressive!:
http://www.modelrailroadclub.com/

Hawk said:
and I'm still digging through the 1800's for the other parts. They come from England and Scotland, which makes the search harder from Winnipeg, Manitoba!
Hawk

Hawk,

In case you don't know about this free site here is a link to search Scotland. Not sure if you can also search England through them. The Scotland one brought up my Edward Mowat from Orphir, Orkneys, showed his birthdate and the rest of the info I would have to pay to have at it ... but any info at all might be something you didn't know before. I was just browsing, can't sleep so filling time, thought of your geneology interests when I happened on the site, so here you go, just in case its a bite for you.

http://www.originsnetwork.com/ScotsOrigins/SOSearchBC.aspx

I'd missed that one! Thank you. Preliminary poking around yielded my g-g-grandfather. I was fortunate to have living relatives in Scotland who got me copies of birth certificates for my great grandparents, and their marriage certificate. They gave me so much information!

Now I can possibly find more!

Hawk

Mine is by far kayaking and camping. I had a trailer and a huge motorboat, sold the trailer trying to sell the boat.I have no want for either anymore.

Currently still paddling around, however camping I think I'm done with this year. Currently building a kayak to keep me busy.

Vets,
I've many hobbies per se over the years.  The ones that seem to keep going are Scouting; Piping; and a bit of genealogy when it suits me.
I started Scouting when my youngest joined Beavers many years ago, after 14 years, I'm now the Troop Scouter.
Just picked up piping in the spring. (Mike, we need a Scout smily?)
One of my higher leaders in scouting got my interested even though I can not read music or play a string. I've always loved the sound of the pipes (being Scottish is my claim) And I always wanted to learn an instrument.  I thought I'd try for the tenor drum...pretty easy!!!  BUT she got me to pick up the chanter and now I can play four tunes!  :piper:
Dabbling in genealogy, I traced my families back only about five generations.  Seems the war years made a mess of many people's family trees.  I did find out that my great uncle was awarded the George Cross by the King back in '45.  The GC is the civilian equivalent to the VC.  So, I'm rather proud of that little ditty.  :salute:
Trying my hand at Radio Control helicopter flying, more like crashing!  ;)  Too breezy here in Trenton to fly outside.
I've also tried my hand at ceramics (mostly painting stuff my wife poured) and other crafty persuits.  :-\
It's always good to have something on the go besides work and work with added work....
Cheers, BYTD

Hawk said:
I'd missed that one! Thank you. Preliminary poking around yielded my g-g-grandfather. I was fortunate to have living relatives in Scotland who got me copies of birth certificates for my great grandparents, and their marriage certificate. They gave me so much information!

Now I can possibly find more!

Hawk

Glad i posted then and I hope you do get lucky! :)

Here's a couple more links for folks with Orkney roots.  If you have Scot genes but don't know from where in Scotland, maybe they came from the Orkneys.
http://www.orkneyjar.com/genealogy.htm

Surname Birth/Baptism and Marriage Indices - cool!!! - lists parents names, spouses, dates etc
http://www.cursiter.com/pages/indices.htm

It's great to be hearing what you folks are all into and doing. Lots of people really have creative streaks (music, PIPING! :D arts and crafts etc) , geneology and history interests (heavy on the military family and wars history related) and sports stuff. All stuff that makes klife fun and interesting hey?

More please  ;D

SARgirl said:
Pictures please!  :nod:

Sure thing.
It's still a pile of canvas and wood right now.Building a traditional skin on frame.

Like I need another....this will be #5 lol.First SOF however!

X-mo-1979 said:
Sure thing.
It's still a pile of canvas and wood right now.Building a traditional skin on frame.

Like I need another....this will be #5 lol.First SOF however!
Very neat.  It would be nice to see photos of the progress and various stages + information on the work involved for each of the stages... would make for an interesting read.

Back