• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Passports for Tours?

SeanPaul_031

Inactive
Reaction score
I wanted to know, when military personelle leave on a tour over-sees, do they need a passport or is it taken care of by the government? And if a passport is required, will they "rush-make-you-one" if you dont have one?

Cause im merit listed at the moment and I dont yet have a passport.  >:D

When I was over, the unit took our blue passports and made us fill out a Green (special) passport application.  Everything was done inhouse, but the passport was taken back after the tour.

You will get a green passport if you deploy or are posted out of country with the military.  The exception may be pers posted to embassies.  It is possible they go with a red passport.  Anybody know for sure?

If you are going on OP ATHENA you will definitely need a current BLUE passport. I'd go and get it now if I was you: you're probably going to need it soon anyway if you plan to visit the US, so avoid the rush.

Cheers.

pbi said:
If you are going on OP ATHENA you will definitely need a current BLUE passport. I'd go and get it now if I was you: you're probably going to need it soon anyway if you plan to visit the US, so avoid the rush.

Cheers.

True...It takes roughly 3 months though to get a passport processed no? I also heard that for a fee they can process a blue passport for you in like 48 hrs???

As well, along the lines of passports, etc...What other credentials/identification pieces/cards should I get before I leave for my BMQ?

Thanks for any input >:D

It takes 2-3 weeks to get your passport. At least thats how it was for me last month, and that was without paying extra fees.

How are you on the merit list for a tour if you haven't done your BMQ yet?

Or this there a different BMQ I don't know about?

I got a blue one in eight hours, but I called ahead first, explained I was on short notice to depart on the Op ATHENA ROTO 2 recce, went to the  CIC office and showed them my orders, then paid a "rush" fee. The passpoort lady was extremely postive and helpful through the whole thing.

Cheers.

MCG said:
You will get a green passport if you deploy or are posted out of country with the military.  The exception may be pers posted to embassies.  It is possible they go with a red passport.  Anybody know for sure?

That's a special diplomatic passport, and they're reserved for people travelling on governmental diplomatic business.

As for the fees, pbi's right.  The more you pay, the faster it can be.  I've personally taken an application in, and given that person their passport in 2 hours.  It CAN be done.  :)

T

I think most Tours are using the Green these days.   I had to turn in my Blue one for a Green for ROTO 13 to Bosnia.  

And I saved the Red one for last.....  ;D

Blue are your everyday run of the mill type of Passport, good for four years.  Green are issued to those on 'Government Business' and only valid for the 'period of that Business'.  The Red ones are the ones that people on Diplomatic Service get to use.

Blue is the stock passport. These days you are not always required to have a different one for a tour. In fact, I think the SOP now is for you to have a blue one except for special circumstances.

A Green passport is a Special Passport. It identifies the bearer as an official of the Government of Canada, but without Vienna protections.

A Red (or Maroon) passport is a Diplomatic passport, giving the bearer certain Vienna protections.

CF members only get a red passport if on a diplomatic post: Attache, or other diplomatic position that requires diplomatic protections under the Vienna Conventions. A green passport provides limited status as a government official. A blue passport is what everyone else can get, and is usually all that is required for troops on tour (despite the use of green passports in the past).

Normally one is allowed to carry only one passport at a time, so if you have a blue, and need a red or green, the blue will be taken away.

Acorn

George Wallace said:
Blue are your everyday run of the mill type of Passport, good for four years.  Green are issued to those on 'Government Business' and only valid for the 'period of that Business'.  The Red ones are the ones that people on Diplomatic Service get to use.

Er, not quite.  Kids under 3, maximum of three years, all others a maximum 5 years.  Some passports are issed with less.

T

George Wallace said:
I think most Tours are using the Green these days.   I had to turn in my Blue one for a Green for ROTO 13 to Bosnia.  

And I saved the Red one for last.....   ;D

weird, i was on the same vacation...err tour  and i used my blue one, i guess it depends a bit on what unit you are in at the time.

Normal Blue Passports are good for 5 years as noted. Bear in mind for no mil use (vacations to those places with beaches and fruity umbrella drinks)  that many countries will not accept you if your Passport is due to expire in 6 months. Check first as no one wants to spend their two weeks at the airport.

I habitually renew mine every 4 ½ years now to be on the safe side.

If there is a passport office in the city/town you live in and can do it in person as opposed to the mail in procedures it can be done in 5 business days, providing you dotted all the â Å“iâ ?s and crossed all the â Å“Tâ ?s on your application. As noted you can pay more for â Å“rush serviceâ ?

For many the delay is getting the guarantor to sign the application/photos..

Cost for regular service $75.00 IIRC, ( sigh my first one nack in 1980 cost a lousy twenty bucks.  :'()

Danjanou said:
Cost for regular service $75.00 IIRC, ( sigh my first one nack in 1980 cost a lousy twenty bucks.  :'()

Er, it's $87 now (for an adult, anyway.)  An extra 10 for pick up, 30 for within a week, and 70 for 24 hours.

T

Thanks, great and mine only has 2 more years to run. Bet it hits$100.00 by then  :crybaby:

Back