• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pardons

Todays lecture: big gun go boom, bad guy go splat...

(Seems easy to me).... Tea Time, Kincanucks?

kincanucks said:
But does anyone know about this move by Harper to fast track recruits by only going back seven years instead of ten for Security Checks?? Has this actually been implemented yet? and if so doesnt that mean I would be fine? (10 years I should be fine as well)

Okay for the hard of reading:

You don't need a pardon to apply to the CF but you must indicate on the application form that you have a conviction.

But does anyone know about this move by Harper to fast track recruits by only going back seven years instead of ten for Security Checks?? Has this actually been implemented yet? and if so doesnt that mean I would be fine? (10 years I should be fine as well)

Security check has nothing to do with your reliability check.  if you want to join the CF and all you have is a DUI from 12 freaking years ago then you have nothing to worry about.  If you want to get a pardon then get a freaking pardon but it is not required for you to apply to the CF and it won't make a freaking difference to your career.  Got it!!

Thanks Kincanucks, Hopefully if everything goes well I will be doing my part for Canada in a few months!

pronto said:
Todays lecture: big gun go boom, bad guy go splat...

(Seems easy to me).... Tea Time, Kincanucks?

It is always tea time. :p

I am currently in the process of re enrolling in the CF. My question is if I start the process for a pardon for a criminal offense, will this complicate my application with the CF. For example, when it comes time to continue the application process or receive an offer, will my pending pardon be seen as a legal obligation and delay my hopeful career in the CF?

(The search bar function was exercised with no result, apologies if the question has already been asked)

Ducimus BTC said:
For example, when it comes time to continue the application process or receive an offer, will my pending pardon be seen as a legal obligation and delay my hopeful career in the CF?

Legal Obligations

Additionally, you must not have any form of legal obligation. Every CF applicant must complete the reliability screening process and be conferred with Reliability Status (RS) prior to enrolment. Reliability screening is a systematic method of confirming that an individual can be expected to be reliable and trustworthy based on the verification of Reliability Checks (RC) as follows: personal data, employment history, education / professional qualifications and personal and employment references, as well as the completion of a Criminal Record Name Check (CRNC) and a credit background check.

Assuming that you meet the eligibility criteria listed above, if you have a Criminal Code of Canada or Controlled Drugs and Substances Act conviction (or more than one conviction) as long as you have served your sentence(s) and no longer have a legal obligation then you may apply to the CF. Please note that you do not require a pardon in order to apply.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/faq-101#joining-0

mariomike said:
Legal Obligations

Assuming that you meet the eligibility criteria listed above, if you have a Criminal Code of Canada or Controlled Drugs and Substances Act conviction (or more than one conviction) as long as you have served your sentence(s) and no longer have a legal obligation then you may apply to the CF. Please note that you do not require a pardon in order to apply.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/faq-101#joining-0

I would think the severity of the sentence may have influence on whether the CF will accept you.

I appreciate your responses,
My charges are not drug or assault related. I should have worded my question differently.

Correction

Is the process of a pardon considered a legal obligation? Can anyone see this as being an obstacle in a CF application if the pardon is not completed in time?

I do plan on asking a recruiter, I do want to exercise the use of this forum first. 

Going through the process to request a pardon is not a legal obligation.

But if you are requesting a pardon, while still in the middle of serving your sentence whatever that maybe, than yes that is a legal obligation.

Also until(if you get one) you have a pardon, you must still truthfully answer that you have indeed been convicted of a crime. 

Hatchet Man said:
Going through the process to request a pardon is not a legal obligation.

But if you are requesting a pardon, while still in the middle of serving your sentence whatever that maybe, than yes that is a legal obligation.

Also until(if you get one) you have a pardon, you must still truthfully answer that you have indeed been convicted of a crime.

The part in yellow is moot because you have to wait 5 (or 10) years after all legal obligations (including probation, etc.) arising from the conviction are complete before being eligible for a pardon.  You'd be ineligible for enrolment because you're still fulfilling legal obligations, not because you've initiated the pardon process.

The rest is correct.

Ah thanks, I have never been convicted on any criminal offence ergo never needed to look into how one applies for a pardon.

Occam said:
The part in yellow is moot because you have to wait 5 (or 10) years after all legal obligations (including probation, etc.) arising from the conviction are complete before being eligible for a pardon.  You'd be ineligible for enrolment because you're still fulfilling legal obligations, not because you've initiated the pardon process.

The rest is correct.

Correct, you have to wait 5 or 10 years to apply for a record suspension (pardon) if you received a conviction for an indictable offense, but that does not mean your legal obligation is 5 or 10 years. You may have received probation for one or two years, and that is what needs to be completed before you can begin the process. You can still apply if you have a criminal record, you do not have to wait for the record suspension to be completed.

Ducimus BTC said:
Can anyone see this as being an obstacle in a CF application if the pardon is not completed in time?

More on pardons and CF applications.

"Pardons":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12874.0

"I have spent many years of my life either in adult or youth jails. I am not currently under any probation nor do I have any outstanding fines."

Thanks for all of your replies,

I meet all requirements to be eligible for a pardon so that is all cleared up (probation, wait times etc). My only concern was that if I started the pardon process that I would have legal obligations as far as attending court or a hearing, that is all. I will read into the links provided. Now the only thing is the fee,  its gone up quite a bit this year (and rightfully so). Thanks again for the input everyone. 

Back