• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parade Proceedings

gaspasser

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place, so Mods can change the location.
Was doing Ambulance coverage of today's Change of Command parade for the Wing Commander.  As usual, I waited for the first general salute followed by O'Canada...lo' and behold, the Band did not play it until the end of parade at the second/departing general salute.  Then I waited for The Royal Anthem-God Save the Queen-and it didn't come.
Question-has the parade procedure changed to what I've written above?  Or am I just too old school to note that O'Canada is played at the beginning of parades and God Save The Queen at the end?
I've also noticed over the last few years, that the parade is not just dismissed but marched off to the applause of the crowd...nice fuzzy-feely touch... :piper:
Regards, BYTD

This is the same here in Cold Lake.  O Canada at the end, no "God Save the Queen"

Same for all parades this summer in Petawawa - even with CF Band on parade for one.  I was unable to locate any direction in Drill and Ceremonial Manual on "God Save the Queen" or "O'Canada" being played.  You may be thinking more of the Remembrance Day ceremonies when both are played.

BYT Driver said:
Not sure if this is the right place, so Mods can change the location.
Was doing Ambulance coverage of today's Change of Command parade for the Wing Commander.  As usual, I waited for the first general salute followed by O'Canada...lo' and behold, the Band did not play it until the end of parade at the second/departing general salute.  Then I waited for The Royal Anthem-God Save the Queen-and it didn't come.
Question-has the parade procedure changed to what I've written above?  Or am I just too old school to note that O'Canada is played at the beginning of parades and God Save The Queen at the end?
I've also noticed over the last few years, that the parade is not just dismissed but marched off to the applause of the crowd...nice fuzzy-feely touch... :piper:
Regards, BYTD

I guess you didn't read the admin order that was sent out or posted on the splash page then? Am guessing you are talking about 8 wing

http://trenton.mil.ca/8WingNotices/files/084-09%208%20Wg%20CoC.pdf

Bummer, my computer won't go to the internal site. 
No, I didn't see the splash page memo or article.  If I did, I wouldn't have mentioned it. 
If the admin order says that they've changed parade proceedings, then fine.  I just think that O"Canada should be played at the beginning of parades and not the end.  And unless they've changed the Oath Of Allegiance, God Save The Queen should also be played. 
Regards, BYTD
:piper:

I agree with you BYTD.  Doing the Anthem at the end with the advance in review?  Doesn't seem right to me. God Save the Queen should have been played.

Back