• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parachutist wings from cadets on my PRes or RegF uniform

• Thread starter silentseaforthsoldier
  • Start date
        I just recently finished the course this summer (as in last week) and Ive noticed a lot of confused people on this website about the course. Firstly this course is hard. Be prepared to hurt a little bit and learn to overcome fear. This course is a half cadet half army course. For a bit you’ll be doing Cadet things, then you’ll move over to the army things (you get two course reports, one from Cadets and one from the army). We do ours right alongside the reserves, sharing a barracks with them as well. You will be treated like soldiers, it’s different but it feels great. Trust me when I say this, everything you do has a reason.
So this year, they made all regions do a pre-para, and if you don’t know what pre-para is, well…..it’s the hardest thing you will ever do (especially if you go to the one in Trenton). I still believe I found the pre course in March harder than the course in the summer. I had a really hard time with it, but going gives you so much knowledge on what you need to work on (which is push ups).  We got in at 7 or 8 pm and the CSM made is do 100 push ups as soon as we got off the bus, and then we did PT for 2 hours. It sucked hard cause of the snow and water, so it made it more dangerous/hard. Ours was one week, first day was the PT testing day. Make sure you do amazing on this test, as it is the biggest ground breaker for getting on the course. After that we went to Bakers Island………never again did I want to do. Trust me you’ll learn when you get there, make sure you can do push ups. Oh! Free tip! DO NOT SAY AIRBORNE. The CSM will eat you alive if he does (and I think I know the CSM going for it next year, he will eat you). Second day was the mock tower jumps (See pictures for an idea of the mocktower) and all you have to do is jump, nothing to hard, it just gets your fear of heights tingling. Make sure you get over that fear before you go to it, because the course will be a lot easier if you do. Third day is the medical testing, which is a very chill day, then you go home. Few tips, bring some A535 or Tiger balm, because your legs will be so sore, so learn to stretch them as well. Listen to everything that is said, because if you get course senior, you need to listen, and make sure you do.
For training for the PT test, here are a few tips. The standards have not changed, it’s still 7 chin ups, 31 sit ups (something like that) and a mile in 7:30. It’s honestly not that hard, but you need to at least double the results. Get a chin-up bar, it will be your best friend. Every time you enter the room you have the bar in, do at least 7 chin-ups. After a month you’ll be surprised how far you’ll get. Do lots of sit-ups and a position called fifth point (back on the floor, feet and knees together, slight bend in the knees, feet 6 inches off the ground, chin to chest and hands straight behind your head). Please, please practice this, as I didn’t and I paid for it big time.  For push ups, just do lots. Every time you eat, (minimum) set of 25. Wake up? 25. Fart? 25. Get tired? 25 it is. Get used to doing lots of different kinds, so doing the standard one is easier. Running. Run a lot but don’t hurt yourself. Before I left for Pre-para I was running 4km, but make sure you can do more. Before I left for Para I was doing 8km, which is good, but always strive for more. Don’t hurt yourself training as you’ll just slow down your process, and make sure you stretch. As for your normal workouts, a lot of people ask if weights or no weights. Do what you want, as long as you do the push ups and other things in those workouts. If you have the P90x workouts they are FANTASTIC for this kind of training (especially ab ripper x), but again so solid workouts, with lots and lots of cardio. 
          So you made it into Para, and you’re wondering what to expect. The actual course is divided into two sections; the pre course (which usually runs for two weeks but this year it was only one) and the course at CAAWC (Canadians Army Advanced Warfare Center, yes the abbreviated version sounds like what you think it is). The pre course is made to whip you into shape and to make you and your buddies work as a team for the actual course. The pre course is as hard as you and your buddies make it. You mess up, you will be doing push ups or doing fifth. You will be doing PT and “team building activites” all day, every day. The days are so slow and long you most likely be really tired. But they are fun though! This year we got lucky and did A LOT of fun things (rappelling out of the mock helicopter, got to see the simulated CC-130 J Herc, did mock tower jumps, etc). Sadly but surely, you will be doing a scheduled PT session at 05:30 every morning (besides weekends, thank god) and they will literally run you to the ground. I mean it was crazy on how much running we did. Second or third day, we ran for a straight hour and a half, I’m pretty sure we ran at least 14km at one time. Learn to like the suck though. Cause there will be lots, especially when you go to Connaught. We only went for an evening, but holy smokes. It. Sucked. Just straight up PT for hours, and you have ex para cadets “motivating you”. That basically sums up the first week, and then you move on to the CAAWC. Gotta love the CAAWC (we made so many jokes about that name…). Free tip again, if you want to get Sgt Airborne, probally the best and funniest instructor, make sure you fall into the first rank when they form you up in the flight room, as that is “his rank”. So every day you will do classes, every day and they will beat all the drills in your head. I’m not a parachute instructor so I won’t tell you how to do anything, but make sure you fix your goods before getting into those harnesses as anyone who has done flight knows that terrible feeling….You will doing classes of flight, aircraft drill, landings and equipment at least twice a day, every day, don’t worry equipment becomes a lot easier with practice. Honestly for me, I did very little push ups in the last two week, as I always listened…we had a guy make a lot of mistakes on his equipment, let’s just say he racked up 525 push ups…..the less you screw up, the less you’ll do. Trust me when I say that. After a while you’ll finally do the mock tower test, this being the place most people fail. Try your hardest and be aggressive, and you’ll have no problems. That coming Firday is your PO checks, make sure you’ve been practicing in the barracks at night, for everything you can. Half hour every night can mean the difference between a plane ride home to a plane ride to the drop zone. Let me tell you, the course is a challenging course, but all the effort is worth it the first time you’re under canopy. It’s something you can’t explain, you have to experience it yourself. Oh and make sure you keep your chin to your chest, I got minor whip lash cause I didn’t.
        This course is the best course you’ll take it Cadets. It’ll make very other course look so simple and easy and you’ll come out with a new skill set, $100 worth of airborne t-shirts, and a whole lot of stories. If you think you can do it, try it. The worst that can happen is you go back and do it again. Don’t give up with the training and if you have any questions, please ask. 

ztb97 what 6 week course do you think would prepare you the most or look the best on a para application.

Son of anarchy said:
ztb97 what 6 week course do you think would prepare you the most or look the best on a para application.

Probably Sports and Fitness Instructor course.

Son of anarchy said:
Honestly, it doesn't matter. Our top jumper this year was a bandy! Our top Cadet was a Expo guy, our course senoir for three weeks was a ARI guy. So it doesn't matter on the camps, you can do what you want, just have a lot of NSE points, especially if you're from Ontario.

Thanks for the quick reply and good advice I will keep that in mind. And I guess I should start due to the fact I do live in Ontario.

Son of anarchy said:
Thanks for the quick reply and good advice I will keep that in mind. And I guess I should start due to the fact I do live in Ontario.
No problem! Any other questions no matter how silly they seem just ask!

I joined this site just to get some information that I haven't yet come across with regard to the Basic Parachutist course. I have all the information I require, except one vital piece.

What are the CURRENT age, rank, and/or star level requirements to qualify as an army cadet?

How, if I meet the age/rank/star level requirements, would I go about applying for Prepara?

Chaz Perry said:
I joined this site just to get some information that I haven't yet come across with regard to the Basic Parachutist course. I have all the information I require, except one vital piece.

What are the CURRENT age, rank, and/or star level requirements to qualify as an army cadet?

How, if I meet the age/rank/star level requirements, would I go about applying for Prepara?

Star level: Silver - that's not necessarily bearing. You will have to complete a Cadet Instructor Course to qualify: example DCI, Expedition Instructor, Sports and Fitness Instructor.

To apply for the Basic Parachutist Course (which will have you loaded on a Pre-para if your province has one) you will put "Basic Parachutist Course" on your summer training application.

Part of the application will require you to complete a fitness test. Minimum qualifying scoring bracket is silver; you will need to be able to score higher to ensure that you remain on course.

RedcapCrusader said:
Star level: Silver - that's not necessarily bearing. You will have to complete a Cadet Instructor Course to qualify: example DCI, Expedition Instructor, Sports and Fitness Instructor.

To apply for the Basic Parachutist Course (which will have you loaded on a Pre-para if your province has one) you will put "Basic Parachutist Course" on your summer training application.

Part of the application will require you to complete a fitness test. Minimum qualifying scoring bracket is silver; you will need to be able to score higher to ensure that you remain on course.

Thank you. I've heard so many different things from so many different people, (yes I've even heard rank requirements), and just needed some real info.

I ran into a young man at the grocery store wearing a new Airborne t-shirt, asked if he just completed his jump course, he said YES and added sheepishly "as a Cadet" My advice to all of you is to be proud that you did it as a Cadet, it's one hell of an accomplishment and to be proud of it. Good job to all that pass the course.

as a female I have learned that its much harder to do chin ups then it is for men (I know this because my younger brothers can do them and neither my older sister nor I can do many of them). I was wondering if any men or women that have taken the cadet basic para course have any advice for me to help me become fit for the para course that I will attempt to take this summer. I can do more than enough sit ups, and push ups. I just have a little trouble with chin ups and the running part. please give me some advice and maybe a training plan that will help me get better so that I may be able to complete the one actual dream I have had since I was 7.  -thankyou  :cdn:

Its not that its harder for men or women, its training and working the muscle groups that are required to do the task.

In reality you get better at chinups by doing more chinups. If you cant do a chinup, start with jumping up and doing negatives.....it will come.

Look up recon ron's chinup program

FWIW, I was on basic para with a few ladies that put a lot of guys to shame with the number of chinups they can do.

I had a quick question regarding my medical stance and how it would effect my chances of getting into para with Cadets. I'm considering (doesn't mean I will, it's just a thought) about applying for the course this or next year.

So, in 2012, I took a hard hit in hockey and the impact of me hitting the ice flared up some nerves in my legs. Although it wasn't medically diagnosed with it, I was treated in physio for sciatica for about 3 months. I haven't had any problems with it since beginning of 2014. As well, in early June 2014, I took another fall in hockey and broke my ankle. I underwent physio for 1 and a half months for that.

I was wondering if those injuries would restrict me from being enrolled in the course (since the impact of landing and all), Because if it's not worth the hassle I won't do it. I'm qualified at Excellence Level fitness and haven't run into any problems since those two major injuries. I've also done my Sports and Fitness Instructor course.

I think it should not at all. You have to get confirmed by your family doctor before you go saying you are medically fit to go to pre-para, and while at pre-para you do a medical as well. As long as it is not a problem as of the moment, you will be fine. One of the guys on course had runners knee in (i think) both knees and they let him do it. Keep up with the training bud, and you'll cruise through the course.

I hope to get my parachute wings while I am in cadets. My question is if I join the Air Force and I have my pilot wings can I wear my para wings at the same time or at all?

For reference, perhaps,

Wearing parachute wings in Air Force

will be merged with,

Basic Parachutist Course for Army Cadets & CIC: Question & Answer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/4371.0
18 pages.

Crazy Caveman72 said:
I hope to get my parachute wings while I am in cadets. My question is if I join the Air Force and I have my pilot wings can I wear my para wings at the same time or at all?

combat_medic said:
You can wear cadet jump wings on your CF dress uniform, but it‘s the ONLY thing that transfers over from cadets to the army.

See also,

Cadet wings
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+wings+cadet&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=oKLEV_jkNMyC8Qei9bj4Cw&gws_rd=ssl

Here's a question I've always had burning in my tiny mind:

Do you get parachute wings in the RCAF if you have to eject for any reason (like, wanting to earn a set of parachute wings?) :)

daftandbarmy said:
Here's a question I've always had burning in my tiny mind:

Do you get parachute wings in the RCAF if you have to eject for any reason (like, wanting to earn a set of parachute wings?) :)
Likely only if you do it 5 times, need 5 jumps to get CAF BPara wings. I figure after 3, RCAF CoC would likely not let you break another plane, though.

The Caterpillar Club (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_Club) is what you're thinking of; membership is reserved to those who had to jump out of a disabled aircraft.  So, if a group of freefall parachutists were on a plane that developed problems, and they and the pilot had to jump, only the pilot would be granted membership, as the freefallers were planning to jump regardless.

A family friend (now deceased) was a member, and also a member of RAFES (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Forces_Escaping_Society). 

Back