• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parachutist wings from cadets on my PRes or RegF uniform

• Thread starter silentseaforthsoldier
  • Start date
what would be the most that you would do for the morning run?

frazzledazzle said:
I did the jump course this summer with cadets. Everything was the same for the PT test except that we didn't have to do the shuttle run.

As for the "How much will you have to run in a day" for the actual para, most of the runs are in the morning, if they're in a good mood (A.K.A. you didn't mess up) then it will probably be about 5 kms, if you did mess up, then it could be really long. As for the Pre-Para run at Connaught (cadets only), if you mess up, you could be looking at multiple runs during the day, the longest we had was 10 km. In one day, our CSM had us run two 4 kms runs and an 8 km one as well (that was a bad day). You will ALWAYS do runs in the morning during para generally no shorter then 4 km.

what would be the most that you would run at one time or did u mean that u guys just ran 10 k

Yes, shuttle run is gone. Not sure when they took it out though.

the longest single run you will probably do is 10km, we never did more then this I believe.

the longest we did for the morning run was 8km, but you'll ALWAYS be running. They'll give you timings that will be insanely tight, so you'll be forced to run to everything.

As for total running distance, it changes daily, some days will me easier, and some will be deadly. On one day, we did our morning run (5km), then we did the iron man after breakfast (about 8km long as well as swimming, and some weight running), and then we had to do another 5km run because someone had lost something on the iron man. This was all before lunch.

During my time on para, I found that there were no "easy" days, only bad days, and really bad days. But the experience is deffinatly worth it.

when you said that you ran the 10km in the morning did you mean that you guys ran it non stop?

any females out there that have successfully completed para?
do you have any helpful tips regarding training for pre-para?

Smirnoff2812 said:
any females out there that have successfully completed para?
do you have any helpful tips regarding training for pre-para?

I would like to make a note that I did not read the whole thread in its entirety as it is 26 pages long. With that in mind I will attempt to answer your questions;

There are females who have completed para. One that comes to mind is a CIC Captain with the Queen's York Rangers Army Cadets in Toronto.

I do have a helpful tip regarding training for pre-para and, if you're selected, para itself; don't give up

I know of several females who have completed Basic Para -- infantry, parachute riggers, even a Navy Commander (Logistics).

Afraid I can't think of any 'female-specific' training tips though; 'be fit,' 'don't quit,' 'don't miss the earth when jumping,' apply equally to all students.  ;)

When I did my course in 1991 we had 5 females start in pre-para (which was held at Petawawa).  Three made it to the actual jump course in Edmonton, 1 failed the PT test on the first morning and was RTU'd (along with 2 or 3 others, including a reg. force officer from 2nd Field Ambulance).  The remaining two passed the course, one of whom was a CIC Lt. and the other a cadet.

As a side note, my father's last posting, before retiring, was as Director, Army Cadets, in 1980.  He had been a PI in Rivers, MB in the late '40's, before being CFR'd in 1950 during the Korean War.  During his posting, approval had just been obtained to allow female cadets on the jump course.  During one of the meetings, the subject of standards was brought up, and my father was asked how standards would be changed to accomodate the female cadets.  His answer was, nothing would be changed - and they weren't.  His thinking being that if they wanted to earn parachute wings then they would earn them the same as everyone else.  Further to that he also believed that any female who wanted to earn the wings would be able to meet the standard required.  It seems he was right - historically, (based purely on anecdotal evidence only) the failure rates for female cadets are quite similar to those of male cadets.

i just did my course last summer and we had 2 girls on course that both got through, they were better than some of the guys!

The captain that was referred to earlier was Capt Carreau. She's about 5 foot nothing and ran us into the ground on our pre-para. Anyone know if any females got loaded on this year? I believe the course list should be out by now.

All,

Why does it matter how many females are loaded on Basic Para? 

Would you approve of a post asking how many black people or gays were course loaded?

I'm not offended or anything like that, but it seems a bit sexist because it has an undertone of "wow I'm really surprised that a female can do this".

We're equal on the pay scales and females have destroyed my time on the Ironman. 

Petamocto said:
All,

Why does it matter how many females are loaded on Basic Para? 

Would you approve of a post asking how many black people or gays were course loaded?

I'm not offended or anything like that, but it seems a bit sexist because it has an undertone of "wow I'm really surprised that a female can do this".

We're equal on the pay scales and females have destroyed my time on the Ironman.
I aged out of the Cadet programme in July of last year and in my 5 years as an Army Cadet, I only knew of two female cadets who were loaded on the course; the Quebecois female was cut, and the other Cadet that I personally knew came back Jump qualified. In all honesty, it's a rarity to see female cadets on the Jump course.

I've been debating whether I should go with either the Air Cadets or Army Cadets here in Toronto. Both are great opportunities for me. Sorry if it was a stupid question, thanks.

Back