• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parachutist wings from cadets on my PRes or RegF uniform

• Thread starter silentseaforthsoldier
  • Start date
Well, I searched using the terms -->  parachute course training  <-- and limiting the search to these boards:  "Training", "Cadets/CIC", and "Camp". And I found these:

Basic Parachutist - in Cadets / CIC
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/44957.0.html

Basic Parachuting Course - in Cadets / CIC
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17185.0.html

Jump Wings - in Cadets / CIC
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/4298.0.html

Basic Parachutist Course for Army Cadets & CIC: Question & Answer - in Cadets / CIC
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25424.0.html

... and a few more

That last link above one has 22 pages of posts.

Now, start here next time.

Push-ups. I still owe Sgt. Clark about 1000 of them from my 1970 Jump Course.

Not sure if they still do it today but don't throw your pop cans away, got my first 50 push-ups for doing so. :warstory:

It's been a few years since I took the course but...

Get in shape.  Pushups.  Situps.  AND chin ups.  Do chin ups. 

The first morning on my course, we did the PT test.  A run, pushups, situps and...chin ups.

Don't pass the PT test?  There was NO retest.  You were gone gone gone, no questions asked.

Chin ups are important.  You will need to be able to do chin ups to pull slips (steer the parachute by reaching up, pulling on 2 of the 4 risers, depending on which way you want to try to "steer".  You effectively have to pull the weight of your body and kit up like a chin up and, if you can't lock your elbows behind your reserve, you will have to hold it...).

About the course?  I did not take one note on paper.  You have to know it in your head, period.  Aside from PT, our course consisted of POs in Aircraft Drill, Landings, Flight (hanging in the racks and your harness, ALL kinds of fun) and Equipment. 

Week 1, ground week.  Week 2, tower week.  Week 3, jump week.  Once we completed our PO checks, we just waited for a Herc.

About the training, you have to be 100% every day.  You will probably do the "how many glasses of juice/water/ etc can I drink at dinner" game (we were too active physically to eat much at dinner...) and, IIRC, it was incredibly hard to stay up past 2000 at night due to fatigue.

It was by far probably 3 of the best weeks I spent in the army.

And  you will get to know one word very well...

"JAB!"

Otar said:
So I am some what out of shape and I would like to ask for the help of anyone who has completed this course in telling me what to expect PT wise, actual training wise, mind games, etc.

If you are "some what out of shape", I would not expect to be in Trenton for very long, if you get there at all. You need to easily meet and exceed the PT test standard.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
If you are "some what out of shape", I would not expect to be in Trenton for very long, if you get there at all. You need to easily meet and exceed the PT test standard.

Unless things have changed, we had to pass a PT test at the home unit before even being considered for the course.  First thing we did after arriving at (then) CABC was...a PT test Monday morning.  Those who didn't pass it were removed from course and RTU'd at unit  expense.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:

I still have eight months to prepare, I can still meet every entrance standard with the exception of the run, but I'd like to greatly exceed said standards.  And I am sure eight months is more than enough time to do so.

I suggest strengthening your hands, fingers, and forearms... you'll have plenty of cramps in your fingers and forearms from the dozens of slips you will pull in the flight room, or from tightening equipment straps (which will never be tight enough for the PIs either way but maximum effort must be demonstrated). Learn to stretch all the muscles in your body and get flexible, you need flexibility to avoid the many injuries you may be prone to. Mentally prepare yourself as well, and don't do stupid things on the course that may get you kicked out. Best of luck!

Cheers

Hi There,
I am 16 and have been seriously thinking about enrolling for the RCAC "Para" Course. i know that there is a full list of requirements inorder to be accepted and pass the course and get your jump wings. so if any body has any info on the requirments for it (mainly the physical Fitness requirements) please send me the link or reply.

thanx a bunch guys :army:

well i just did the basic para this past summer. the PT requirment is that you must pass the Basic Parachutist PT test. it consists of being able to do 7 chin-upsI(be able to do at least 12+) 31 situps non stop(be able to do approx 100 for the easyest time) and a 1 mile run in 7mins30secs(push yourself to get under 6 mins to not be on the watch list.) just dont work on those 3 things, be able to do endless pushups in sets of 25 or more. and also do various other abs workouts and pullups/lat pulls to get the desired strength in your arms and back. the medical requirments are also fairly strict. it is optimmum to have near perfect vision but you can have up to V3(not sure how poor that is) and not be colour blind. also your hearing has to be at best shape as possible. then is a general med. checkup. pretty well jsut make sure your body as at its best condition possible for when you go in for your medical which will most likely be done at a military base.  if you live in BC then you have to go through a Pre-PARA which is one week (of hell) spent up at VACSTC during spring break where you are tested on your physical fitness and put through various PT tests throughout the week. you must pass this to be eligeble for the actual course. best bet is to try it early and find out what you need to work on for the next year. worked for me  and i was at a much higher PT level the following year. if you live in Ontario you still have to go through a pre-para for several days, dont know much on it as i  am from BC. all other provinces i believe you just have to pass the PARA pt test at your home unit.

if you are lucky enough to get accepted for the course you spend 2 weeks in connaught doing a pre course with the 50 selected cadets then you move to CFB Trenton CFLAWC for the actual course which consists of 2 weeks of ground training then J stage which is around 1 week and all you do is jump.

if you have any more questions just reply

SCOTTYBOY

TVIRUS said:
Hi There,
I am 16 and have been seriously thinking about enrolling for the RCAC "Para" Course. i know that there is a full list of requirements inorder to be accepted and pass the course and get your jump wings. so if any body has any info on the requirments for it (mainly the physical Fitness requirements) please send me the link or reply.
Star - have successfully completed National Star Certification; Courses
have successfully completed a Cadet Leader Instructor course;
Fitness – have achieved the standard of fitness IAW CATO 42-05;
http://www.cadets.net/support/cato-oaic/intro_e.asp?cato=42-05
Medical:
(1) certified by a CF medical officer using form CF 2027 as being physically and mentally capable of taking airborne training, and free from any contagious disease immediately prior to the course;
(2) the aforementioned medical standards shall be certified by a CFMO who is aware of the high physical and mental requirements of this course. The candidate shall possess a minimum medical category of 333225. A medical officer must establish that the candidate has no abnormalities that, though insufficient to justify a change of medical category, might be aggravated by parachutist training;
(3) Applicants Blood Group must be clearly identified; and
(4) previous injuries; Experience has shown that cadets who have had previous knee or ankle medical problems have not been able to complete the course.
Special:
(1) Must be 16 by 1 July of year of training and shall not have reached the age of 19 during the course;
(2) Volunteer for parachutist training;
(3) be well motivated, self-confident, and have the perseverance to undertake parachutist training; and
(4) be free from compassionate problems that might contribute to non-completion
Must be recommended by their CO, nominated by their RCSU and approved by the Directorate of Cadets.

i am doing para this year and i got allot of questions and i was wondering if anyone can help me out, i wanted to know what the para cadets do on a daily basis like i know that they wake up and do a 2km run but i want to know everything about how physical its going to be so that i can get prepared i think that i am prepared right now but i don't want to fail so someone please help me if you can asap

why did you onnly spend 3 weeks on the course?

mudrecceman said:
It's been a few years since I took the course but...

Get in shape.  Pushups.  Situps.  AND chin ups.  Do chin ups. 

The first morning on my course, we did the PT test.  A run, pushups, situps and...chin ups.

Don't pass the PT test?  There was NO retest.  You were gone gone gone, no questions asked.

Chin ups are important.  You will need to be able to do chin ups to pull slips (steer the parachute by reaching up, pulling on 2 of the 4 risers, depending on which way you want to try to "steer".  You effectively have to pull the weight of your body and kit up like a chin up and, if you can't lock your elbows behind your reserve, you will have to hold it...).

About the course?  I did not take one note on paper.  You have to know it in your head, period.  Aside from PT, our course consisted of POs in Aircraft Drill, Landings, Flight (hanging in the racks and your harness, ALL kinds of fun) and Equipment. 

Week 1, ground week.  Week 2, tower week.  Week 3, jump week.  Once we completed our PO checks, we just waited for a Herc.

About the training, you have to be 100% every day.  You will probably do the "how many glasses of juice/water/ etc can I drink at dinner" game (we were too active physically to eat much at dinner...) and, IIRC, it was incredibly hard to stay up past 2000 at night due to fatigue.

It was by far probably 3 of the best weeks I spent in the army.

And  you will get to know one word very well...

"JAB!"

g_star15,

I t may be a lot, but in 25 pages on this subject, you'll likely find the answers to your questions. Try stay away from the keyboard and read what's already here. Reading and research is something we promote here, and expect of our members.

Milnet.ca Staff

g_star15 said:
why did you onnly spend 3 weeks on the course?

Well the Basic PARA (CADETS) is only 15 training days same as the Reg/PRes courses.

Thanks for all of the help you guys. This past week we did our Pt test and I easily cleared everything  (55 push-ups, 60 sit-ups, 241 long jump) however i barley passed my beep test for gold standard anyways so does anybody know how I can improve my running ability? besides simply running because i am starting that as soon as the snow melts.

TVIRUS

You'll probably get alot of different answers back on this one but I'd recommend Interval Trg. Its not pedal to the metal all the time and its not really boring either, if you have access to PSP staff get them to hook you up with a program and you'll start to see results probably within the first couple of weeks.

My 2 cents.

what would be the most that you will run in a day and to pass the pt test what does your score have to be?

Not sure if the standards are the same but here is the CF Pre-Para Standards for the Reg/PRes Forces

Standards

1 Chin-ups  7 consecutive

2 Bent Knee Sit ups 31 consecutive

3 1 mile /1600 m run  7:30 minutes or less
or
600 metre Indoor shuttle run  2:30 minutes or less

NFLD Sapper said:
Not sure if the standards are the same but here is the CF Pre-Para Standards for the Reg/PRes Forces

Standards

1 Chin-ups  7 consecutive

2 Bent Knee Sit ups 31 consecutive

3 1 mile /1600 m run  7:30 minutes or less
or
600 metre Indoor shuttle run  2:30 minutes or less

I did the jump course this summer with cadets. Everything was the same for the PT test except that we didn't have to do the shuttle run.

As for the "How much will you have to run in a day" for the actual para, most of the runs are in the morning, if they're in a good mood (A.K.A. you didn't mess up) then it will probably be about 5 kms, if you did mess up, then it could be really long. As for the Pre-Para run at Connaught (cadets only), if you mess up, you could be looking at multiple runs during the day, the longest we had was 10 km. In one day, our CSM had us run two 4 kms runs and an 8 km one as well (that was a bad day). You will ALWAYS do runs in the morning during para generally no shorter then 4 km.

Back