• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing a Ruck

I don‘t know about everyone else, buy my personal favourite form of PT was the ruck march. I will take long, drawn-out fast marches with heavy packs and a C7 any day over a sprint or quick run. I hated running, loved ruck marching.

In fact, once you‘ve been marching for a good while, you will hit a nice endorphin rush that tends to pick up your spirits. You get that good feeling when all your kit is packed tight, nothing‘s banging around, your sleeping bag finally isn‘t falling out of your valise every time you move, you realize that your C7 has a slot between the magazine and the trigger guard that fits perfectly over the mag pouch on your webbing - so perfectly in fact, that you can balance it there to stretch out your arms and relax your hands for awhile. Everyone‘s feet are hitting the ground in unison, you‘re marching beside your buddy, you‘re 5 klicks in with 10 more to go, you‘re doing something none of your lazy friends back home will ever do, the countryside‘s beautiful and you‘re in uniform for the best country in the world.

Now what could be better than that?

Mr. Ted

Mr. Ted you sound like your really enjoyed that and it sound very appealing to me. You should be the "poster-guy" for ruck marches. :salute:

May-be Molson could do another "I am Canadian" rant with a ruck-march-twist. :)

Originally posted by Mr. Ted:
[qb] I don‘t know about everyone else, buy my personal favourite form of PT was the ruck march. I will take long, drawn-out fast marches with heavy packs and a C7 any day over a sprint or quick run. I hated running, loved ruck marching.

In fact, once you‘ve been marching for a good while, you will hit a nice endorphin rush that tends to pick up your spirits. You get that good feeling when all your kit is packed tight, nothing‘s banging around, your sleeping bag finally isn‘t falling out of your valise every time you move, you realize that your C7 has a slot between the magazine and the trigger guard that fits perfectly over the mag pouch on your webbing - so perfectly in fact, that you can balance it there to stretch out your arms and relax your hands for awhile. Everyone‘s feet are hitting the ground in unison, you‘re marching beside your buddy, you‘re 5 klicks in with 10 more to go, you‘re doing something none of your lazy friends back home will ever do, the countryside‘s beautiful and you‘re in uniform for the best country in the world.

Now what could be better than that?

Mr. Ted [/qb]
Yeah I totally agree, and have also come to appreciate the space between the mag housing and pistol grip!

The stated runs on IAP (officer basic, kind of....) are 5km in about 45 minutes. Timing is very flexible as to frequency as this depends on instructor availability/fatigue/cantankerousness. Also, some staff members run like gazelles with a lion after them, some despise running with the same passion I have. Every course is different, mostly because the staff are different.

If you train 3 days a week and work your way up to 7km in about 50 minutes, you will have very few problems on course. PT wise, at any rate.

For those that think that is fast, in the first line units (GS Battalion does NOT count), 10 km runs in 50 minutes, with push-ups/crunches/lord knows what else mixed in, are not that unusual. They suck, IMHO, but not that unusual.

Oh, and running sucks (Did I mention that already?). I much prefer a nice slow ruck march.

Now, stretcher PT (or its evil cousin, jerry can PT) is a whole different beast  >:D

You may have noticed that this topic is 2 years old. Was there a reason for resurrecting it, as I'm sure the person in question has long since had their question(s) answered.

I wasnt really sure where to put this but I think this is good. I am starting to do practcice ruck marches to train for the BMQ this summer. I was wondering the exact weight of the packs they make us wear. I have searched everywhere and can find nothing. Just so you no I am  a reserve, if that changes it. I would also like to know how fast the pace has to be and the distance.

For you people that have already done the reserve BMQ I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

I did a SEARCH for you and found this:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23622/post-276951.html#msg276951

I stand to be corrected I do not believe the reserve BMQ has a ruck march.  I do not know about Reg force.

Depends on course staff. The course in which I was supporting did have ruck sac marches as part of the their PT schedule.

Jonathan said:
I wasnt really sure where to put this but I think this is good. I am starting to do practcice ruck marches to train for the BMQ this summer. I was wondering the exact weight of the packs they make us wear. I have searched everywhere and can find nothing. Just so you no I am  a reserve, if that changes it. I would also like to know how fast the pace has to be and the distance.

For you people that have already done the reserve BMQ I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

The weight is what they tell you.  Look at the kit list you were given, specifically all the stuff that is supposed to go in your ruck, start there. Then add some food/water/snivel kit etc.  The pace is what ever the Pl WO/CSM/OC sets, but bear in my mind, since most people at that rank/position have been at this army thing for awhile, thier pace will not be one that most recruits will enjoy (ie no walk in the park, smelling the flowers).  The distance will be whatever they think THEY can accomplish given the time alloted.

scoutfinch said:
I stand to be corrected I do not believe the reserve BMQ has a ruck march.  I do not know about Reg force.

The course I was on, and the courses of other in my regiment have been on, or help run, there were ruck marches, no BFTs, but they still did ruck marchs whenever possible.

thanks, I couldn't find that anywhere. I thought it would be heavier. 22 pounds at the start and 55 pounds by end.

Jonathan said:
thanks, I couldn't find that anywhere. I thought it would be heavier. 22 pounds at the start and 55 pounds by end.

Well all your kit may weigh more that 22 pounds, my course we made them strap to their ruck all the defensive stores that I had (i.e. 16lbs sledge hammers, etc), so the weight will vary.

Are they still playing around with the concept of the foot-mobile mortar unit?  Back in '89 they had us lugging around the entire mortar kit (tube, stand, plate, and C2, flags, stakes, etc.) bungi-corded onto our rucks as part of 'mobile fire support' ops.  Unless you were lucky to have the C2, you generally added 20+ pounds to your gear..., plus mortar ammo!

im doing my bmq right now in borde, and we "had" a reservist with our platoon, but hes gone now.  Our rucks our at least 50 pds, and we never started at 20 pds.

I suggest you start at 50lbs, go for 3km and work yourself up to 13km. Its better to be in shape and think the walk was a piece of cake than to be moaning about blisters while your on the course.

yeah, ok I will trian with 50 pounds, when you do your ruck marches is it in a forest path or a flat path

Back