• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing a Ruck

If you‘re going on course this summer, only bring your outer sleeping and MAYBE your liner (if you have a ranger blanket, bring that instead). Stuff that into your valise, but don‘t roll it up. If you roll it, you put too much stress on the fabric, and it will tear more easily. Just stuff it all in, close it up and squish all the air out (squeeze it, sit on it) and it will get compact enough that you can carry more kit.

With careful packing, you can fit all layers of sleeping kit with bivy bag, ranger blanket and a pillow in that valise.

As for packing it all, don‘t worry too much about it; it‘s one of the first things they teach you. Each course is different, each standard is different, so just pack it however they tell you to pack it. Once you‘re done your courses and have more experience, you‘ll find a preference and work accordingly.

I might post some pictures from around the company of different guys rucks.
Please do, Doug.

To add my own .02, Powerbars are awsome in the field. They‘re easy to eat on the move, taste better then IMPs, and when combined with half a canteen of water they make a noticable difference on your energy level.

wow, this was an old thread. I guess I should get around to taking some pictures. Most will probably be of my own ruck though. Since we‘re only doing light PT for the next couple weeks(lots of drill coming up!)

Originally posted by Doug:
[qb] wow, this was an old thread. I guess I should get around to taking some pictures. Most will probably be of my own ruck though. Since we‘re only doing light PT for the next couple weeks(lots of drill coming up!) [/qb]
Dog and Pony coming up Doug?

Doug, in your original post in this thread (the one with the winter kit list) how much would all that stuff weigh? Just curious.

We have a "Trooping of The Colours" coming up in Ottawa, and a change of command shortly after.

The actual list probably weighs around 60+ lbs. Once you take out all the crap you don‘t need, and add the "operational" stuff, it‘s usually around 80 lbs!

It‘s interesting to compare this discussion with the kit the ordinary soldier of the 13th Battalion when it crossed over to France in 1915. On 10 February, the battalion did the last packing of kit in preparation for departure for France. The scale approved for the men was:

Trews â “ 1 pair; Drawers â “ 1 pair; Undershirt â “ 1; Shirt â “ 1; Towels â “ 2; Hold-all â “1 (soap, razor, etc);Balaclava â “ 1; Socks â “ 3 pair; Boots â “ 1 pair; Housewife â “ 1; Greatcoat â “ 1; Blanket â “ 1; Rubber sheet â “ 1; Mess tins â “ 1; Haversack â “ 1; Rifle â “ 1; Ball ammunition â “ 150 rounds

The haversack also contained one day's hard ration, tobacco, and personal odds and ends. In 1914 a British hard, or iron, ration for one day consisted of:

1 lb preserved meat; 12oz biscuit; 5/8 oz tea; 2 oz sugar; ½ oz salt; 3 oz cheese; 1 oz meat extract (2 cubes)

...Balaclava â “ 1; Socks â “ 3 pair; Boots â “ 1 pair; Housewife â “ 1; Greatcoat â “ 1; Blanket â “ 1; Rubber sheet â “ 1; Mess tins â “ 1...
I‘m starting to see why everyone complains that the army just isn‘t what it used to be...

Lol, you get to carry your wife around in your ruck! :D

Yes. Yes you do.

(It‘s a nickname for a sewing kit in case you‘re wondering)

I agree with Doug. Onething I do is purchase the large freezer zipbags. I then put in one complete change per bag (1 sock, 1 tee-shirt, 1 underwear) that way in the dark I can find a zipbag of dry change. Garbage bags work great but you can get ruck liners from http://www.wheelersonline.com

Wow talk about an old thread coming back to life. Chop funny you mention Wheelers, I just ordered the riggers belt from them today. Used my old combat belt to change a fuel filter on an MLVW. Turns out the filter was stronger than the old belt.

Now you‘ve got me thinking about a ruck liner...hmmm wife won‘t be happy but Wheelers and Visa will be.

I guess 2 out of 3 ain‘t bad.

If you do purchase the ruck liner/ dry bag be sure to use a waterproof spray on it.

It‘s not as dry as it sounds, however it really beats garbage bags.

Mine spent one day out in the pouring rain, on the ground. My tunic had a wet spot on it at the end of the day when I pulled it but that was it.

Most guys had everything wet from the holes in the garbage bags.

I line the main compartment in my ruck with two garbage bags, and everything else with ziploc bags, I haven‘t had any problems yet, but I haven‘t been out in a heavy pour with it yet.

For the valiase(sleeping bag carrier), once you get it packed up, good way to help keep it compressed is the waist belt off the rucksack. After you sit on it, squeeze the valaise an get as much air out and tighten the cords, etc. Get the waist belt, and put it on horizantal. Works well for me.

Also, I cant wait till I get my 64 pattern ruck frame. :warstory:

I use a Wheelers dry bag, it‘s the most incredible piece of kit I own, though I was at their store the other day and they seem to sell a different type than mine (which I bought back in 2002). Inside that I put everything in Ziploc 1-gallon storage bags arranged so I can pull out exactly what I want when I want it. Usually I have a clean, dry uniform in the bottom, a couple of changes of gitch/tshirt/socks in the middle, and warm clothes and polypro most accessible on top.

I‘m a firm believer that you cannot have too many pairs of dry socks, either - they don‘t take up much space so I jam as many in as is reasonable for how long we‘re going to be away.

Remember what Kipling said in in A Boy Scout‘s Patol Song:-

Look out, when you start for the day
That your kit is packed to your mind;
There is no use going away
With half of it left behind.
Look out that your laces are tight,
And your boots are easy and stout,
Or you‘ll end with a blister at night.
(Chorus) All Patrols look out!

What is Ruck Marching? I hear people talk about it but have no clue what it is. And in your Basic how much running do you do, and how long (approx). example. Run once a week for 5 km‘s or run everyday for 2 km or what?
Thanks for your help.

Justin

Ruck = big backpack with all your kit you need to survive in it.

Justin: a ruck march is a long walk with a heavy backback on. It‘s not usually very fast, and they will build you up to it, but it‘s pretty rough on the body. As for running, it will depend on your instructors. If they have lots of time and the inclination, they may take you for runs every day, or every other week.

Back