• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

P-8 Poseidon

Not sure if missile is the right term.

Looks and sounds more like the JDAMS kit they use on bombs to provide a smart function guidance package to a dumb bomb.

cupper said:
Not sure if missile is the right term.

Looks and sounds more like the JDAMS kit they use on bombs to provide a smart function guidance package to a dumb bomb.

The original missile:

rock-01.jpg

Unguided.  Unpowered.

Wait for the counter to this;  something like a GPS-jammer buoy.

Question;  what is the backup for when one of the key systems goes U/S?  Or will they just be unable to 'do anything'?

We are getting more and more behind the 8-ball on things IMO. 

The back-up is inertial. There is sufficient accuracy to get the weapon from the aircraft to the splash point without a GPS fix.

Thing is EITS, submarines don't drag a signal-jaming buoy behind them, or release them along the way as they proceed somewhere. In both instances, that would be leading the predator to the prey.

And they wouldn't do it as they detect an airplane either, if they ever do manage to spot a Poseidon at that altitude.

Much more probability of using counters to evade the torp once it is in the water than to try and fool the drop guidance system.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Thing is EITS, submarines don't drag a signal-jaming buoy behind them, or release them along the way as they proceed somewhere. In both instances, that would be leading the predator to the prey.

And they wouldn't do it as they detect an airplane either, if they ever do manage to spot a Poseidon at that altitude.

Much more probability of using counters to evade the torp once it is in the water than to try and fool the drop guidance system.

Well frig me sideways.  Care to share your knowledge with my SIM operators.  I have been saying this for years. :sarcasm:  Decoys galore in our sim sessions.

Back