• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OVERT (Volunteering while in the CF)

Zombie

Reaction score
I found a volunteer emergency response team that I am interested in joining (www.overt.ca) and had a question about volunteering while in the Forces. I'm not in the Forces yet but am applying this year, and would like to join OVERT asap.

Is there a CF policy on volunteering for external organizations? Am I able to find time to adhere to volunteering commitments?

Also, if anyone knows anything about OVERT (Ontario Volunteer Emergency Response Team), I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

Lots of Regular CF members are volunteer firefighters in their residential communities, or belong to volunteer search and rescue teams. When I was stationed in the US, I belonged to the local volunteer fire company there. As far as I know, there is no prohibition on doing so as long as it doesn't conflict with your regular duties. As for Res soldiers, a number of them actually are members of police, fire/rescue and EMS organizations, so I can't see any restriction there, either (except for the RCMP issue we have discussed on another thread...).

I stand to be corrected but I don't think there is a big issue. Good luck!

Cheers.

I know a couple of the OVERT members as they serve with me in the Auxilliary Coast Guard.

Slim

I just checked out the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary web site (http://www.ccga-gcac.org/), and it looks very interesting. I don't know what my chance would be like of getting into this organization though, it sounds like they only take very specialized members.

This is the type of organization that I am interested in volunteering with however, do you have any advice on joining, whether it be for OVERT, CCGA, or another emergency response unit? How long have your friends been OVERT members?

Years now I believe...

Getting into an organization like OVERT or the CCGA is not difficult...Remember they are all volunteer organizations and constantly need fresh members as the old ones either go on with other things or drop away.

What part of Canada do you live in. If its close to me I can hook you up with the CCGA people.

Slim

I'm in Toronto...

That would be great if you could do that!

Besides attaining approval from your chain of command, I would also inquire through your Orderly Room.

Because all CF members serving onboard HMC ships undergo Fire Fighting training, there are many who go on to volunteer at their local volunteer fire fighting departments. I remember a few years ago, there was an issue that was raised about something dealing with coverage in case one was hurt during a call.

As I'm not a volunteer fire fighter, I don't recall the specific issue, but it would be wise to check it out.

The general rule of thumb is the chain of command ought to know - especially if you might get called away whiel you're working.  They may restrict your response abilitiy during working hours, but rarely do.  The other reason is in case you get injured on a call up.

MM

But with these possible factors, volunteering would not negatively affect an application to the CF or the ability to be promoted once there, would it? I would assume the contrary...

Volunteering doesn't have a negative effect - if anything it's a plus.  The CF likes, in fact encourages, its people to get involved with the community.

MM

hmm, I never knew about this organization. I'd check it out if I werent still a HS student.

I believe that one of the founding members of OVERT is a former reserve CPL. My apologies but his name right now escapes me. However, years ago he used to show up at the ONTR armouries recruiting for military skills.  Your skills would be a huge asset to the org but keep in mind it is in a Civie world so you must be a "flexible" person.

PIKER said:
I believe that one of the founding members of OVERT is a former reserve CPL. My apologies but his name right now escapes me. However, years ago he used to show up at the ONTR armouries recruiting for military skills.    Your skills would be a huge asset to the org but keep in mind it is in a Civie world so you must be a "flexible" person.

I am not in the CF yet, however I hope to apply during the summer and be in by the end of the year. I am interested in joining a volunteer search and rescue operation immediately however, and want to ensure that I will not have difficulty handling both. I understand that being in the CF takes a large commitment, as does volunteering with this type of organization, and that flexibility is a must. I'm also hoping that the skills I gain in each will be transferable between the two and complement each other.

Thanks for the info, it's good to know that there is a close link between the military and OVERT... :salute:

Has anyone heard of, or have any knowledge about CASARA? (Civil Air Search and Rescue Association)

Yes-they have a HQ here in Winnipeg. We had a Sgt in our Bde staff who was a member.

Cheers.

pbi said:
Yes-they have a HQ here in Winnipeg. We had a Sgt in our Bde staff who was a member.

Cheers.

I realize you weren't a member yourself, but were you able to learn anything about what being a member was like? Like roles, responsibilities, qualifications, etc.

Unfortunately, not much. Try looking them up on the WWW. I know that he was  available for call-out in air searches-he took part in a few. He also belonged to the Coast Guard Auxiliary unit at Gimli on Lake Winnipeg, which operates a rescue boat there. As far as I know there is no problem being a member of organizations such as this. It is the RCMP Auxiliary that is restricted, IIRC. (This has been discussed at length elsewhere).

Cheers.

Actually, I'm now a new member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, I just took the initial training this weekend for PCOC and RMROC. Looks like it's going to be a very worthwhile experience...

I looked at CASARA on the web, but it appears they don't have a unit close to Toronto. The closest appears to be in St Catherines, and it may be difficult for me to get there for meetings after work! I've sent them a message though, and hopefully they take members from T.O.

Thanks for the info!

Back