• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Outdoor Gear Thread

Scott said:
Do me a favour, send Paul and email (link listed in the book) and tell him. We need the feedback in order to generate funding for the next big adventure. Paul was the brains, the editor, and the calm voice of reason for all of it and the man took two months sabbatical from his job to get the finishing touches put on the thing - he deserves more praise than I can muster. My role was rather limited. Just paddle and think of shit to write!

Seriously, share the link, please, and copy and distribute at will.

Fuck it, I have a few copies left so if you send my a mailing address via PM I will put one in the mail for you.

Cheers

I'll send the email, PM headed your way and thanks.  I'll hit you up with questions WRT canoe purchase "stuff" when I have a weekend not booked off and time to start looking at it with more focus. 

I've been spending the winter updating some of my base layers and footwear.

This is the best damned sweater I have ever owned It's from Patagonia (Patagucci) so it's a little more expensive than some lines but it seriously rocks as a top for miler days or a mid layer with a shell plopped over the top for cooler/wet days. I have two of these, one for my serious outdoor stuff and one on order for air travel and my commutes. I also scored some sweet Patagonia long sleeve button down shirts from MEC at cut rate prices recently - sweet!

I had been looking into Arcteryx for a mid layer but can't be bothered waiting for them to catch up on back orders. Plus, I am not fond of their pricing - if you think Patagucci kit is expensive then Arcteryx will blow your mind. Great gear in some respects (I have a Bora pack from them and LOVE it) but other things are fantastically over valued, IMO.

I am about to go into my second pair of Keen's after having great success and a little over 15 months with the first pair I bought. I also have a pair of their water shoes and if they ever figure out how to keep the life of the stitching methinks they'll be a number one among many.

I've been thinking of getting a Glo-toob for this upcoming camping/hiking season.  I like light-weight kit, and one thing I've always thought lacking in my backpack hiking was a light source.  Both Mrs EITS and I carry Petzl headlamps (Tikkina 2 for her, Tikka XP for me) but wanted something that I could that I could leave in one spot if staying overnight unplanned/inside the tent kind of thing.

Anyone ever used these or something similar??

Scott said:
I am about to go into my second pair of Keen's after having great success and a little over 15 months with the first pair I bought. I also have a pair of their water shoes and if they ever figure out how to keep the life of the stitching methinks they'll be a number one among many.

I recently replaced my older Zamberlan Baffins;  for whatever reason, I couldn't even make a trip to the Superstore without them hurting my feet.  Same thing with the pair of Java's I had.

Off I went to MEC last Saturday, looking for something light, GT, nice toe box, with that 'nice fit'.  I had a few in mind (Scarpa, Asolo), I ended up trying on a pair of Keen Oregon PCTs.  Absolutely the most comfortable hiking footwear I've ever had on my feet.

I haven't worn them yet aside from 'around the house' (MEC lets you wear them inside for a few days to make sure they fit right, etc), but will be trying them out on South Granite Ridge this weekend.

What I REALLY like about these boots is this "heel lockdown webbing strap" and the size/shape of the toe box.  No need to tie them on overly tight and no slippage in the heel (so far).

Looking forward to giving these a go, they're head and shoulders more comfy then my Zamberlan backpacking/hiking ones were. 

:jealous face: I love the Granite Ridge Trails. You might want to look into the portage that crosses the northern trail and heads into the White's Lake Wilderness area. It's a bag drive but ell worth it and if you can incorporate a few days on the Musquodoboit then you'll have an epic trip on your hands.

I've got the Targhee's and they are my go to shoe for everything. I've got a newer pair on order and my old pair will suffice for mucky portages.

I also just discovered eBay. Wow. Picked up a Patagonia Better Sweater for about 40 bucks cheaper than stores and new with tags. I'll report back upon receiving it.

Happy Trails

Right, great recce in the Tangier Wilderness area carried out and just now trying to get MapSource to work on my Mac so I can download the GPS data and do a Google Earth overlay for planning purposes.

For those in Nova Scotia who want a Kejimkujik like experience without driving to Keji I think I have found your answer. We discovered a great put-in on Tangier Lake that is only about a 600 m hump through the bush to the lake and a 1.5 km paddle from a series of great campsites. One can also do a couple of circular routes out of the Tangier and through other lakes in order to "stretch your legs" and hit some of the portages. Seriously, this is so easy it should be marked beginner and one can still do a multi day series of treks by basing yourself in one spot (it also lightens the portages, which is never bad!)

I am currently a little guarded about just putting the info out there for all to see as it is wilderness area and there are private cottage owners in there whom I wish to remain respectful of, but if you have a keen desire then please PM me and I'll share the info.

Still waiting on my order from eBay but UPS says it has shipped.

New Targhee II's are going to be in this week and the old ones did great at keeping my feet dry on the Tangier recce.

An I think I am going to slightly abuse MEC's rock solid guarantee and finally turn in my old MSR Elbow Room II to them, tell them it sucks and ask for the Hubba Hubba.

Happy Trails.

Eye In The Sky said:
Off I went to MEC last Saturday, looking for something light, GT, nice toe box, with that 'nice fit'.  I had a few in mind (Scarpa, Asolo), I ended up trying on a pair of Keen Oregon PCTs.  Absolutely the most comfortable hiking footwear I've ever had on my feet.
Thanks for the solid recommendation.

I have been looking at these for a few weeks and picked them up last week.  Have a two day hike of the Mantario trail coming up and wanted to replace my old boots.  All seems good so far and will do a quick 15km march later in the week to make sure they will do for the trail. 

For anyone interested: V2 of the canoe booklet is being discussed. Perhaps a different format - four pages of text, photos and maps for the day trips, more for the multi day trips. Also discussing the merits of doing a whole edition on one particular area - not Keji.

Thanks to EITS for the excellent feedback on the booklet and if anyone else has some please fire away!

PS - recently rocked out my Redtail Paddles. Dreamy.

Kat Stevens said:
I keep saying it... Hennessy Asym.....  Best nights sleep ever
Ohhhh...I thought you were talking about a different Hennessy....  :cheers:

+1 on the Hennessey Asym. Throw Nite Ize figure 9's on each end, and get the Hennessey Snake Skins, and you will have a shelter that sets up in about a minute that's still the best sleep I've ever had while in the bush. Make sure you have at least a thin air mattress for inside though (I use a Thermarest Prolite) as the space it creates beneath you will insulate you from a cold wind, but more importantly, shield you from the mosquitos that will try to bite you from underneath if you are not using a sleeping bag.

Journeyman said:
Ohhhh...I thought you were talking about a different Hennessy....  :cheers:

That one helps you sleep too.

Scott said:
For anyone interested: V2 of the canoe booklet is being discussed. Perhaps a different format - four pages of text, photos and maps for the day trips, more for the multi day trips. Also discussing the merits of doing a whole edition on one particular area - not Keji.

Thanks to EITS for the excellent feedback on the booklet and if anyone else has some please fire away!

PS - recently rocked out my Redtail Paddles. Dreamy.

Still waiting to hear if my buddy and his group are locked in for Jul for Tangier Grand Lake; they had to move their dates ahead slightly, haven't given up the last bit of info you sent yet pending their confirmation they are going *for sure*.

I am really hoping they do go, I am sure you'd love some feedback from some "out-of-towners".  He was asking about canoe rentals in the area, if you know of any can you PM me some info?

Kat Stevens said:
I keep saying it... Hennessy Asym.....  Best nights sleep ever

Had one of them in my hands at MEC on Monday, it was hard to put it back down.  I'll have to remember to leave Mrs EITS at home next time I go there.

Managed to get a nice little hike in on Sunday, which was great because this was the best Victoria Day weekend weather-wise I can remember in recent years, 3 days of sun in NS.  Headed out and did Pennant Point with Mrs EITS and her best friend that was visiting for the weekend who had never hiked before.  She thought it was funny that I spent $200 on boots "just for hiking??" until we got to about Island Rock Head and her Reeboks started to get shredded up some.

Question, wondering if anyone has done Chignecto and if so, clockwise or counter-clockwise?  Was thinking of a 1-nighter to Refugee Cove or Three Sisters or something but haven't gotten up there yet or done a drive-by recce.

Planning a fall trip to Mount Carleton followed by the zip-lining at Grand Fall if its still open then and Tree-go in Moncton. 

There is a new zip-line "park" in the Martock area, opened the first of this month;  On Tree Fun and Adventure Park.

http://www.hantsjournal.ca/Sports/2012-03-22/article-2936903/Family-fun-to-be-had-zipping-through-the-trees/1

In the meantime I am anxiously awaiting my new gear, a Ka-bar kurki machete and Becker BK2.  Next on the wishlist; Whisperlite International.

Hope everyone is enjoying the spring weather...

Canoe rentals: MEC. They rent or will have the info on where to rent. You'll also get a good, lightweight boat for your troubles, paddles and safety gear/ Not sure on prices.

Questions about Tangier: shoot me a PM. We 'may' be heading to do the shortened route I shared with you when I get home, if I have time. If not then we are waiting until fall. Any trip through the area would reveal why.

Cape Chignecto: http://hikenovascotia.wordpress.com/2010/10/31/hike-cape-chignecto-on-61-year-old-knees/

There are loads more on google.

Some points from a good friend of mine:
-bring 15m of nylon rope and a couple of beeners
-do not take the route that has you traveling uphill at the end
-stay the first night in Advocate at the seaside chalets (name changes might have come into place since I was last there)
-take in a meal at Cape d'Or
-if you are at all unsure of it go and do Kenomee plus the Devil's Bend adjunct first.
-know tide times if taking any of the shortcuts lest you want to meet some of your mates from Greenwood.
-book any accommodations WELL ahead, they fill up fast. Advocate is the same.

I can vouch for Kenomee and the Devil's Bend!

If any one is interested in hiking the Puckasa or Lake Superior Park trail or canoeing the Lake Superior shore let me know as I have done all three and I will offer Logistical services to any one who wants it. Also I have Canoed the Abatibbi river to the Moose river to Mooseinee. and have some in sites on that.

Scott said:
Canoe rentals: MEC. They rent or will have the info on where to rent. You'll also get a good, lightweight boat for your troubles, paddles and safety gear/ Not sure on prices.

Questions about Tangier: shoot me a PM. We 'may' be heading to do the shortened route I shared with you when I get home, if I have time. If not then we are waiting until fall. Any trip through the area would reveal why.

Roger, passed that on to 'the other Scott'.

Cape Chignecto: http://hikenovascotia.wordpress.com/2010/10/31/hike-cape-chignecto-on-61-year-old-knees/

There are loads more on google.

Some points from a good friend of mine:
-bring 15m of nylon rope and a couple of beeners
-do not take the route that has you traveling uphill at the end
-stay the first night in Advocate at the seaside chalets (name changes might have come into place since I was last there)
-take in a meal at Cape d'Or
-if you are at all unsure of it go and do Kenomee plus the Devil's Bend adjunct first.
-know tide times if taking any of the shortcuts lest you want to meet some of your mates from Greenwood.
-book any accommodations WELL ahead, they fill up fast. Advocate is the same.

Ack and thanks!  Did a drive-by of Cape d'Or 2 summers ago and have been itching for Kenomee and 'the gorge' at Moose River? more than a few times.  Mrs EITS prefers the 'inland stuff' in the fall.  Less bugs, less heat, fall colors, etc.  Could be a busy fall!

I can vouch for Kenomee and the Devil's Bend!

I've read some reviews and think its longer/harder than it looks?

Couple of pieces of kit I thought worth mentioning.

1.  Mora knives.  I picked up a Clipper 840 (brand new) on Ebay from Georgia, US recently.  Its effin sharp, the checkered rubber handle is comfy and the price was wicked, $14 CAD all told including shipping.  Sheath is nothing fancy but it works.  Only thing I wish it had was a hole for a lanyard, but c'est la vie.  This knife rounds out my "hack and slash" gear (laplander saw, Gerber Sport Axe, kukri machete, Ka-Bar Becker Bk2 and the Mora for light stuff).

2.  Becker Bk2.  Another Ebay buy at about $90 CAD.  I wanted something I knew I could beat the %#$# out of if needed but not really pricey, and settled on the 2nd gen BK2.  The sheath is crap but was easily mod'd some (an old credit card, paracord, a $1 axe holder from MEC to replace the crap handle strap/snap, and 30 minutes of sewing). 

* I am not a knife freak, they're just tools to me, but my old knife was in need of replacement.  I don't always carry that stuff, I carry what I think I'll need depending on where I am heading, time of year, etc. 

I use an older stype of the MEC Spirit 40 for a hiking daypack, good piece of kit only it doesn't have waistbelt pockets.  I bought 2 of the MEC waterbottle holsters (1 x 1L, 1 x 500ml size).  Decent piece of kit for $7-$8 if anyone has older packs without the waistbelt pockets, this might be your solution.  I'd just recommend putting a few extra stritches in the corners where the loop is sewn on the holster, mine loosened off when I had a full 1L Nalgene bottle in it.  Plans to use them to hold gloves, softshell jacket, etc in the fall/winter.  Saves me from getting a new pack and those hold more than the belt pockets anyways.

I also find those $1 axe holders useful for stuff like carrying my poles on my pack, saves me from messing with the side compression straps.

Anyways, couple of ideas for folks.  Hope everyone is enjoying the start of summer.

Eye In The Sky said:
Ack and thanks!  Did a drive-by of Cape d'Or 2 summers ago and have been itching for Kenomee and 'the gorge' at Moose River? more than a few times.  Mrs EITS prefers the 'inland stuff' in the fall.  Less bugs, less heat, fall colors, etc.  Could be a busy fall!

IMO, Moose River is a half day hike, nothing more. But the whole area is littered with falls. Look around! There is an AWESOME set between Parrsoboro and Advocate right at a hairpin in the road with a museum/cafe on the corner. The road up is right across from the parking lot and the locals will give you direction.

Ward's Falls is another easy one.

There is a ''new'' Masstown Market in Five Islands...FYI.

I've read some reviews and think its longer/harder than it looks?

Devil's bend is definitely longer and harder than any current description (I have to get my blog running!) but Kenomee itself is not bad whatsoever, the maps just suck. The first time we did it we went to the base of Economy Falls because we were sure the trailhead was down there. After a few minutes of conversation we scaled the ''hill'' on the other side and found the trail, only to backtrack down it and fine the bridge above the falls - DOLTS! Just stick to the beaten path, the falls are a side trip.

If you add Devil's bend then you MUST cross the Falls trail and keep going sidehilling, not down to the falls - see above.

It gets hot up there and I found my only issue was a few nagging blisters which I only ever have bother me during high heat. And you want to watch the area for previous rains as you have to cross several creeks which could be ugly at high water. If hot enough make sure to bring swimming kit because it is an awesome trail for swimming holes!

Do not camp at Newton Lake (accepted wisdom is to hike the trail counterclockwise and it is the first campsite when going that direction), instead, hit the second one which is off the main trail about one km and right beside a beauty bunch of low waterfalls.

Be sure to at least try to register at the interperative center which is the tower overlooking Minas Basin, just past the road up to Kenomee.

--

I have water bottle holsters on my Bora but find they are much too hard to reach while wearing the pack so I use them to store my fuel bottles and I have a couple of the add-on's on the waistbelt.

Back