• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Out-of-shape soldiers a 'national threat'

honestly, I stopped doing PT with my unit except for the odd time and just did it on my own. Cause every bloody time all they ever did was floor hockey, over and over again every time. I got nothing against floor hockey, but PT needs some variety if people are going to keep fit, I mean if say 1 VP ran 10km every morning for a year, their upper body strength probably would be the best at the end of the year.

The biggest problem with out of shape soldiers and sailors isn't just PT.  It's diet.  And smoking. But mainly diet. The latest research shows your weight is 90% genetic and 8% diet and 2% exercise. 

Now before everyone gets all bent out of shape about those numbers (which I'm sure vary somewhat for individuals) let me explain. 

Suppose your weight at steady state with moderate exercise and a semi health diet is 200lbs.  Of that you can go either way with exercise and diet.  220 - 180lbs is within the 10% variables of diet.  I know this because up until about a year ago I was 220.  With a good pt program I didn't lose any weight.  Sure I transfered some fat to muscle mass and went down a few pants sizes but the weight stayed.  I wasn't until I dropped my coke (acola) habit that I actually lost weight.  Modified my diet and made healthier choices.

And when I dropped weight my pt metrics took off like a rocket.  It's amazing when you are no longer carrying around 40lbs extra how much fitter you are.  Running, beep test, pushups, marches, general hard physical military stuff was not as difficult.  Hell standing around on a really hot day was easier.

At the end of the day we would have fitter soldiers if they all ate healthier and continued to do their normal jobs.  But how can you force them to eat better?  You can't.  All the exericse in the world will only give you a small advantage if you don't eat properly (and yes there are those freaks who are the exceptions but by an large you get my point). The best fitness plan is a good diet and exercise.

The best you can do is provide information, leadership and a healthy conciouse work environment.  My last posting did that and as a group we helped each other achive fitness goals and made it a topic of conversation all the time.  30 people lost weight and many got exempt on the express where they never had before.  Others passed with better scores and we're not worried about the minimum.  We tested ourselves and posted results every month in a mass email.  We shared health/fitness articles in the table in the break room.  Everyone had to instruct group pt every once in a while and bring a creative new workout or their favorite one.  At the end of the day we made it part of the culture that fitness made you fit in.  It was part of the units esprit du corps.  If it wasn't unit pt we met in the morning at the gym before work, worked out as a group.  If fitness goals were not being met a person could be assigned a workout buddy to help them along.  If they were in danger of not passing then a senior person was assigned to ensure they were following their psp assigned workout.

And surprisingly the work got done, and we always had a shared interest/experience to talk/complain about.

:2c:

Underway said:
The biggest problem with out of shape soldiers and sailors isn't just PT.  It's diet.  And smoking. But mainly diet.

This 100%. Another thing to add is alcohol consumption. You can do all the cardio or weight training you want, but if you go nuts on the weekend with booze you will still be fat. If you don't care how you look in uniform then go ahead and eat or drink whatever you want...most people on Wings don't seem to care.  ::)

Quirky said:
This 100%. Another thing to add is alcohol consumption. You can do all the cardio or weight training you want, but if you go nuts on the weekend with booze you will still be fat. If you don't care how you look in uniform then go ahead and eat or drink whatever you want...most people on Wings don't seem to care.  ::)

haha you gotta maintain a Reserve  ;D

Think of that beer gut as one less ration you have to eat a day  :p

While we're on the topic, how about those super fit in garrison types that need to eat every two hours or they wilt. Seen it. Not impressed.

Field fitness and garrison fitness are different IMO.

Doing 4-5 platoon attacks per day with patrolling at night demands a different mental attitude as well. We can't stop for Blogins the bodybuilder to eat every two hours.

Jim Seggie said:
.... We can't stop for Blogins the bodybuilder to eat every two hours.
That's gonna disappoint some newbies in the recruiting threads, let me tell you.  >:D

Underway said:
The latest research shows your weight is 90% genetic and 8% diet and 2% exercise. 

hulk7-exp.jpg

Doues anyone here have experience with the BFTA (Basic Fitness Training Assistant) course? Would having more NCOs with this qual make a difference in units with limited time for PT (particularly in the reserves)?

Jim Seggie said:
While we're on the topic, how about those super fit in garrison types that need to eat every two hours or they wilt. Seen it. Not impressed.

Doing 4-5 platoon attacks per day with patrolling at night demands a different mental attitude as well. We can't stop for Blogins the bodybuilder to eat every two hours.

You can and you should.  You should be constantly hydrating and eating during those exercises.  Either way it's better than stopping for Chubby Mcfatterson after 100m of a section attack, or just standing around in 36 degree heat.

Give bloggins the scran from your IMP and tell him to cram his pie hole whenever he can.  He's probably bragging about how much he can press when he should be snacking anyways.

Underway said:
You can and you should.  You should be constantly hydrating and eating during those exercises.  Either way it's better than stopping for Chubby Mcfatterson after 100m of a section attack, or just standing around in 36 degree heat.

Give bloggins the scran from your IMP and tell him to cram his pie hole whenever he can.  He's probably bragging about how much he can press when he should be snacking anyways.
Huh?

I had a long lengthy post about what you should be doing in the field for proper hydration, caloric intake and teaching soldiers about proper water conservation while still ensuring they get what they need... but no, a facepalm about the above post is fitting instead.  :facepalm:

Canadian.Trucker said:
Huh?

I had a long lengthy post about what you should be doing in the field for proper hydration, caloric intake and teaching soldiers about proper water conservation while still ensuring they get what they need... but no, a facepalm about the above post is fitting instead.  :facepalm:

I disagree.  Stopping every 2 hours to eat also gives you a chance to check your text messages and facebook.

Canadian.Trucker said:
Huh?

Sorry missed that one.  My point was that I'd rather have a powerlifter that has to eat all the time than a guy who's obese.  Next time I'll reference your post vice trying to post something to highlight the silliness of the idea that you don't have time to eat on an exercise as listed above.    ???

Jim Seggie said:

Completely agree Jim, their is fitness and then their is field fitness!  Look to how the Ghurka's for instance, or certain oreganizations like the FFL, Paras, etc... build their soldiers.  Lean and mean, that is what we should be aiming for!

I have read that one of the biggest difficulties people have when they join the FFL, especially Americans, is adjusting to the diet of a legionnaire which in the morning is usually a piece of bread and a cup of coffee. 

Underway said:
Sorry missed that one.  My point was that I'd rather have a powerlifter that has to eat all the time than a guy who's obese. 

What is the difference between a soldier who can't function due to lack of physical fitness and a soldier who can't function due to not being able to constantly eat or consume their regime of supplements?

RoyalDrew said:
Completely agree Jim, their is fitness and then their is field fitness!  Look to how the Ghurka's for instance, or certain oreganizations like the FFL, Paras, etc... build their soldiers.  Lean and mean, that is what we should be aiming for!

I have read that one of the biggest difficulties people have when they join the FFL, especially Americans, is adjusting to the diet of a legionnaire which in the morning is usually a piece of bread and a cup of coffee.

Don't forget the morning humiliation session for their appalling lack of French speaking ability, coupled with the first beating of the day.  all part of a well balanced FFL diet.

Kat Stevens said:
Don't forget the morning humiliation session for their appalling lack of French speaking ability, coupled with the first beating of the day.  all part of a well balanced FFL diet.

haha come now, even the FFL has moved away from beating their soldiers and also from taking criminals, criminal record = NOGO now in La Légion. 

Regardless, they do build a certain type of soldier that is finally-tuned to conduct expeditionary operations.  I am not saying we seek to emulate them but it speaks volumes to the French Army's ability when they are able to rout an enemy out of an entire country (Mali) with less than 2,000 maneuver troops.  Perhaps we could learn something from them?  Oui ou Non?

ObedientiaZelum said:
What is the difference between a soldier who can't function due to lack of physical fitness and a soldier who can't function due to not being able to constantly eat or consume their regime of supplements?
ZACKLY!

Underway said:

In rebuttal:

"Wispy, ectomorphic types of men excel in the conventional demonstrations of physical fitness, but the Falklands War of 1982 indicated that their generously covered colleagues are better at withstanding the hardships of campaigning."
----- Military Experience in the Age of Reason - Christopher Duffy

After following this thread I have to wonder weather some members of this forum are more interested in the size of ones tunic and how soldier/sailors/airmen appear to look on a parade square than how they can actually function and complete the tasks given to them.

I worked for a SNCO recently who was, some would say obese.  But this man passed his PT test and his BFT.  Yet people still snickered and many times I had to "inform" others that he was fully able and capable and deserved the respect of a Sgt regardless of his tunic size.

The last part of the sentence above is what really bothers me. 

Back