• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Osama Bin Laden Dead

GAP said:
Ornate, but not lavish: Another bin Laden home located in Pakistan

.The details of bin Laden's life as a fugitive — which were first published by the Pakistani newspaper Dawn — raise fresh questions over how bin Laden was able to remain undetected for so long in Pakistan after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, despite being the subject of a massive international manhunt.

Yet a senior US official, who is familiar with the contents recovered in bin Laden's Abbottabad house, said there was no evidence that Pakistani officials were aware of bin Laden's presence. "There was no smoking gun. We didn't find anything," he said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak about the contents of the Abbottabad house
More on link and on page #2

I won't believe for a minute that there was no-one in Pakistan who knew this dik was in the country.  Someone knew, had to of known.

More leakage on the Bil Laden raid story:

http://news.investors.com/article/609557/201204271858/navy-admiral-made-bin-laden-decision.htm?p=full

Memo Reveals The 'Gutsy' Bin Laden Call That Wasn't

Posted 04/27/2012 06:58 PM ET

Killing Bin Laden: Like so many others, the final decision to pull the trigger on the world's most-wanted man was delegated to an admiral who undoubtedly would have been thrown under the bus had the mission failed.

It's been almost a year since President Obama's leadership and foreign policy bona fides were allegedly established by the operation that killed Osama bin Laden. A campaign film narrated by Oscar-winning actor Tom Hanks tells of the president's alleged solitary, agonizing decision.

With apologies to Vice President Biden, maybe President Obama doesn't carry quite as big a stick as Joe would lead us to believe.

As reported by Big Peace, Time magazine has obtained a memo written by Leon Panetta, then-director of the Central Intelligence Agency and now-Secretary of Defense, that says "operational decision-making and control" was really in the hands of William McRaven, a three-star admiral and former Navy SEAL.

"The timing, operational decision-making and control are in Adm. McRaven's hands," the memo says. "The approval is provided on the risk profile presented to the president. Any additional risks are to be brought back to the president for his consideration. The direction is to go in and get bin Laden and, if he is not there, to get out."

In other words, it was McRaven's call to pull the trigger or not on the raid.

Some would say that this is a distinction without a difference, sort of like a head coach in football drawing up the game plan and letting his offensive coordinator actually call the plays. Then, technically, President George W. Bush gets the credit, since it was on his watch our war on terror was declared, Navy SEALs and Special Forces funding was increased and the hunt for Osama bin Laden began.

The Panetta memo, rather than presenting a profile in courage, says "approval is provided on the risk profile presented to the president." This left enough wiggle room to blame the operation planners and controllers if the raid had gone as wrong as President Jimmy Carter's famous failure to rescue American hostages held by Iran. This memo left room for the blame for another "Blackhawk Down" snafu to be blamed on anyone and everyone but President Obama.

Luckily, operational control was in McRaven's hands, and the planning, execution and decision-making were virtually flawless. There was no repeat of the incident years before of Sandy Berger, last seen stuffing classified documents in his pants, telling a CIA and Northern Alliance team in Afghanistan, on that occasion literally a matter of feet away from bin Laden, that if they want to grab him, they'll have to do it on their own. So they didn't.

This time, we had an admiral and former Navy SEAL making the decision.

It was McRaven, heading the Joint Special Operations Command, who, on Jan. 29, 2011, began to plan "finish options" for bin Laden alongside his counterparts in a 7th-floor CIA conference room. It was McRaven who commanded the helicopter assault against the al-Qaida leader's redoubt in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

On that fateful night it was McRaven, linked by secure video from Jalalabad to the White House, who briefed the president, sitting in the corner of the "war room," in real time as the operation progressed.

Finally, it was the courageous and well-trained Navy SEALs who put their lives on the line and got a small measure of revenge for Sept. 11, 2001. It is President Obama who is falsely taking all the credit.

What a load of "what-if" kife.
Out of all the stupid blog posts you post I do believe that was the stupidest.......................so far.

Man didn't walk on the moon....9/11 was faked by the government...Now people trying to brew this into a conspiracy theory of sorts.

Wonder what happened to that guy who went searching for Bin Ladens body...eaten by sea monsters I bet.

Hey Bruce here is the memo that pushed the final decision down to Adm McRaven.Think of it as plausible deniability.

http://timeswampland.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/memo.jpg

Received phone call from Tom Donilon who stated that the President made a decision with regard to AC1 [Abbottabad Compound 1]. The decision is to proceed with the assault.
The timing, operational decision making and control are in Admiral McRaven’s hands. The approval is provided on the risk profile presented to the President. Any additional risks are to be brought back to the President for his consideration. The direction is to go in and get bin Laden and if he is not there, to get out. Those instructions were conveyed to Admiral McRaven at approximately 10:45 am.

tomahawk6 said:
Hey Bruce here is the memo that pushed the final decision down to Adm McRaven.Think of it as plausible deniability.

http://timeswampland.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/memo.jpg

Received phone call from Tom Donilon who stated that the President made a decision with regard to AC1 [Abbottabad Compound 1]. The decision is to proceed with the assault.
The timing, operational decision making and control are in Admiral McRaven’s hands. The approval is provided on the risk profile presented to the President. Any additional risks are to be brought back to the President for his consideration. The direction is to go in and get bin Laden and if he is not there, to get out. Those instructions were conveyed to Admiral McRaven at approximately 10:45 am.

I don't see anything too nefarious here. Authority to conduct the operation was delegated to the local commander. Responsibility for okaying the operation in the first placed still fell to the president. After all he gave the order to "proceed with the assault." I would be more concerned if it was being micromanaged stage by stage from the White House, with the SEALs having to get approval at each stage.

No biggy. McRaven commands US Special Operations Command with HQ in Florida.

Didn't realize McRaven was IN Pakistan during the operation. BZ to him. I can imagine the things that could happen to someone commanding this mission inside the country.

dogger1936 said:
Didn't realize McRaven was IN Pakistan during the operation. BZ to him. I can imagine the things that could happen to someone commanding this mission inside the country.

One tactical bound behind his troops.....I agree with the BZ. Well done Admiral.

:salute:

dogger1936 said:

Dogger, ADM McRaven was in Jalalabad, but the intent was certainly there, as you note, to be with the troops.  At the UNCLAS level, reasonable to assume he was somewhere around here.  He probably got to shake a few hands an hour after the guys assaulted AC1.

Regards
G2G

Epic New Ad Excoriates Obama For Exploiting Bin Laden’s Death

A group called “Veterans for a Strong America” is out with a scathing political ad ripping President Barack Obama for what it sees as exploiting Osama bin Laden’s death.

Released Tuesday night, the one-minute, 17-second spot crosses images of Navy SEALS and statements proclaiming “what heroes do” with clips of the president. One segment strings together his references to himself in announcing bin Laden’s death, saying: “I can report…I directed…I was briefed…I met repeatedly…I determined…at my direction…I called…”

“Heroes don’t seek credit,” the ad states.

The spot then shifts to the Obama campaign’s recent ad featuring former President Bill Clinton discussing the bin Laden raid and how a botched mission would have reflected on the president.

“Suppose the Navy SEALs had gone in there…suppose they had been captured or killed,” Clinton says. “The downside would have been horrible for him.”

“Horrible for HIM?” the ad states.

It concludes with a split-screen of a SEAL with the caption “heroism” and Obama’s face with the word “politics.”

“Tell President Obama,” it states. “Our service members sacrifice to protect our country. Not to benefit his political campaign.”

Veterans for a Strong America describes itself as a “non-partisan action organization” headed by Joel Arends, a veteran of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Arends was on the McCain campaign’s payroll during the 2008 campaign.

The ad’s release came hours after Obama made a surprise trip to Kabul and visited with American troops.

The Atlantic Wire has termed the ad, “the Swift Boating of Obama” — a reference to the infamous “Swift Boat Veterans for Truth” campaign against 2004 presidential candidate John Kerry.

Watch the full ad below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JsrSAqRrCc0#!

Rifleman62 said:
Epic New Ad Excoriates Obama For Exploiting Bin Laden’s Death

A group called “Veterans for a Strong America” is out with a scathing political ad ripping President Barack Obama for what it sees as exploiting Osama bin Laden’s death.

Released Tuesday night, the one-minute, 17-second spot crosses images of Navy SEALS and statements proclaiming “what heroes do” with clips of the president. One segment strings together his references to himself in announcing bin Laden’s death, saying: “I can report…I directed…I was briefed…I met repeatedly…I determined…at my direction…I called…”

“Heroes don’t seek credit,” the ad states.

The spot then shifts to the Obama campaign’s recent ad featuring former President Bill Clinton discussing the bin Laden raid and how a botched mission would have reflected on the president.

“Suppose the Navy SEALs had gone in there…suppose they had been captured or killed,” Clinton says. “The downside would have been horrible for him.”

“Horrible for HIM?” the ad states.

It concludes with a split-screen of a SEAL with the caption “heroism” and Obama’s face with the word “politics.”

“Tell President Obama,” it states. “Our service members sacrifice to protect our country. Not to benefit his political campaign.”

Veterans for a Strong America describes itself as a “non-partisan action organization” headed by Joel Arends, a veteran of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Arends was on the McCain campaign’s payroll during the 2008 campaign.

The ad’s release came hours after Obama made a surprise trip to Kabul and visited with American troops.

The Atlantic Wire has termed the ad, “the Swift Boating of Obama” — a reference to the infamous “Swift Boat Veterans for Truth” campaign against 2004 presidential candidate John Kerry.

Watch the full ad below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JsrSAqRrCc0#!

A "non-partisan" ad negatively discussing a Democratic President, from an organization fronted by a guy who worked for the GOP candidate that lost to him. "Non-partisan" indeed.

If the situation was reversed and it was a GOP President sitting when OBL met his fate, I find myself fairly confident that they'd be taking all the credit they could for it.

In his speech at Ft Campbell immediately afterward, I don't remember him sounding like he was taking credit for anything. He stated the facts of the matter. He could report that OBL was dead. He directed...  the mission take place (or delegated authority to do so), because he's Commander-in-Chief and that's his job. He was briefed... of course he was. He met repeatedly ... presumably with all sorts of advisors who helped shape the decision that ultimately was his to make. He determined... yeah, that's his job - because ultimately, the responsibility for the mission and its consequences laid with him.

That's not trying to take credit or glory. That's the way it went down.

Redeye said:
A "non-partisan" ad negatively discussing a Democratic President, from an organization fronted by a guy who worked for the GOP candidate that lost to him. "Non-partisan" indeed.

If the situation was reversed and it was a GOP President sitting when OBL met his fate, I find myself fairly confident that they'd be taking all the credit they could for it.

In his speech at Ft Campbell immediately afterward, I don't remember him sounding like he was taking credit for anything. He stated the facts of the matter. He could report that OBL was dead. He directed...  the mission take place (or delegated authority to do so), because he's Commander-in-Chief and that's his job. He was briefed... of course he was. He met repeatedly ... presumably with all sorts of advisors who helped shape the decision that ultimately was his to make. He determined... yeah, that's his job - because ultimately, the responsibility for the mission and its consequences laid with him.

That's not trying to take credit or glory. That's the way it went down.

That's sounds pretty straight up to me.  The usual partisan dogsh*t aside (including the blog above), the President was doing his job.  Why there is a need to argue over this is beyond me....

Peter Bergen in his new book notes that the intelligence community felt at best the odds of Bin Laden being in the compound
were fifty fifty.  As someone noted if the mission had gone south Obama would have born the criticism.
Way too easy for Romney to say anyone would have made the decision to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD75KOoNR9k

Actually the administration would have thrown Adm McRaven under the bus.The President just doesnt make mistakes. ::)

Good on McRaven for being in J-bad and seeing the SEALs and Nightstalkers off, and return.  I agree T6, he'd have gone under the bus if OBL wasn't there.

Regards
G2G

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/05/05/rex-murphy-how-obama-cheapened-a-great-victory-in-the-war-on-terror/

NP - 5 May 12

Rex Murphy: How Obama cheapened a great victory in the war on terror

How do you make something smaller than it is or should be? How do you shrink an event?

One way is to manipulate the event for smaller purposes than those it already has served. The killing of Osama bin Laden is an example. It is of deep significance. Bin Laden was the principal architect of the horrors of 9/11. He was the sinister beacon of “jihadis” worldwide. He was, till the daring of U.S. Navy Seals changed the equation, 10 years after 9/11, still hidden, uncaptured, unpunished.

The killing of bin Laden was not a war-ending event. Modern wars, of the kind being waged now in Afghanistan, have blurred boundaries. Their precise end can be hard to pin down. But putting an end to the mind that plotted the attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon nonetheless carried immense value. It underscored the remorselessness — a virtue in this context — of the United States in pursuing its deadly enemies. It gave some kind of meager retributive solace to those who lost loved ones 10 years back. It must have galvanized the morale of American troops everywhere.

This signal act was the culmination of the work of many officials, from both the Bush and Obama administrations. No international hunt of a decade’s length, involving thousands of people, from front-line soldiers to the high-tech wizards of special services, the CIA, and personnel at the White House, could be described as anything less than a large team operation. As such, it manifested the resolve of an entire nation, a pursuit beyond the usual partisan boundaries.

Yes, it occurred on Obama’s watch. And, as is the way with these things, it falls therefore to his credit. And so it should. But, as is also the way with such things: If praise is to be given, it is best to come from others.

Self-administered flatteries, or public hosannas from close political allies, are tawdry and unconvincing.  Spiking the football in the end zone always is a vulgar display of raw egotism on the gridiron. It is equally unseemly when a political quarterback performs the same gesture in a more figurative context.
It is just such a gesture that we have witnessed during the one-year anniversary of Bin Laden’s killing, as Democrats cooed and crowed. Obama even played off the issue for jokes at the White House Correspondent’s dinner. Even Kim Khardashian chuckled.

Obama went from admirable reticence a year ago, to hitting every note on his own horn a year later. A surprise trip to Afghanistan to sign an agreement was acknowledged by no less than the British Guardian newspaper as an accent note on the anniversary of Osama’s killing. The president’s flacks, their tributes dutifully uploaded to YouTube, have been endlessly ingenious in reminding us all how “brave” the call was.
Bill Clinton carried that line in an ad the Democrats put out, asking the audience to imagine how bad it would have been for Obama if the raid had turned sour.  Well, however bad it would have been for the President, imagine how bad it would have been for the soldiers involved. The Seals were the ones, as the expression has it, at the tip of the spear.

Obama’s boosters deeply confuse political bravery with combat bravery. At the very least, they try, shamelessly, to elide the two.
Joe Biden, the administration’s all purpose towel boy, was heard at a fund raiser to praise Obama’s decision to authorize the raid as “the most audacious in the last 500 years.” This is not spiking the football so much as putting it in an air cannon and firing it into another state. History and Joe Biden must not be on speaking terms.
Perhaps, Mr. Biden could reread Lincoln’s revered Gettysberg address. He would find in that brief and noble speech every quality that is lacking in the present moment, and in the handling of the present moment by 24/7 politicians. Above all, he would find in Lincoln’s words a generous displacing of “self,” an  implicit recoiling from putting one actor, even a President, at the centre of great events.

Lincoln spoke of the dead, the country, the grieving — everyone but himself. You cannot imagine him politicizing the moment. He composed a national memory that day. We’re in an age that’s taken a lesser turn, and modesty has departed the field.

Obama took a national moment and reduced it, very largely, to a personal one, a partisan one. It’s fodder for an attack ad on his Republican opponents, for heavens’ sake.

Lincoln embedded Gettysberg in the American national mind as one of the most solemn, revered and recalled moments of American national experience. That’s why it’s infinitely more uplifting than what we’re seeing now — even if Lincoln never once appeared on YouTube.

Shared with the usual caveat.  Full story, photos at link.    It never ends so it seems.  Good catch, CIA.  :salute:

US officials: CIA foils a new al-Qaida underwear bomb plot against an America-bound aircraft
The Canadian PressBy Adam Goldman,Matt Apuzzo, The Associated Press | The Canadian Pres

WASHINGTON - The CIA thwarted an ambitious plot by al-Qaida's affiliate in Yemen to destroy a U.S.-bound airliner using a bomb with a sophisticated new design around the one-year anniversary of the killing of Osama bin Laden, The Associated Press has learned.

The plot involved an upgrade of the underwear bomb that failed to detonate aboard a jetliner over Detroit in on Dec. 25, 2009. This new bomb also was designed to be used in a passenger's underwear, but this time al-Qaida developed a more refined detonation system, U.S. officials said.

Read more

jollyjacktar said:
Shared with the usual caveat.  Full story, photos at link.    It never ends so it seems.  Good catch, CIA.  :salute:

US officials: CIA foils a new al-Qaida underwear bomb plot against an America-bound aircraft
The Canadian PressBy Adam Goldman,Matt Apuzzo, The Associated Press | The Canadian Pres

WASHINGTON - The CIA thwarted an ambitious plot by al-Qaida's affiliate in Yemen to destroy a U.S.-bound airliner using a bomb with a sophisticated new design around the one-year anniversary of the killing of Osama bin Laden, The Associated Press has learned.

The plot involved an upgrade of the underwear bomb that failed to detonate aboard a jetliner over Detroit in on Dec. 25, 2009. This new bomb also was designed to be used in a passenger's underwear, but this time al-Qaida developed a more refined detonation system, U.S. officials said.

Read more

Just say 'no' to nuclear wedgies!  ;D

Back