• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ordered "to get a phone" / Contact Information [Merged]

The way I look at it, if something bad happens that they need to re-call the military, (or subunits thereof) you'll probably hear about it on the TV and/or radio before your cellphone/telephone rings.

What if I buy a package of wieners the day after their best by date, but then I cross the International Date Line?  Can I safely eat them?

Kat Stevens said:
What if I buy a package of wieners the day after their best by date, but then I cross the International Date Line?  Can I safely eat them?

Kat, there is no time to 'safely' eat ground noses, lips and assholes in a plastic tube. ;)

Perfect time to inject the Emergency in an Emergency Family Care plan doesn't constitute practice call outs (where half the people sleep through their phone anyways).

I guess I'll just throw in my two cents, since why the hell not?

If you aren't willing to make yourself reachable in the event that you need to be called up for whatever purpose the chain of command deems necessary and appropriate- effing quit and get a job at Home Depot. If you decide that you consider yourself worthy or serving our nation and protecting its citizens, then you can damned well make the minimal necessary effort to be reachable. It's one of the easiest things in the world to do in this modern age, and with a reasonably well compensated job like the CAF offers there's no justifiable claim otherwise. Your'e expectd to get yourself to work, too- whether ou own a car, ride the bus or hoof it is your business; but being recallable is an implicit part of military duty. Don't like it? There's the door.

Brihard said:
I guess I'll just throw in my two cents, since why the hell not?

If you aren't willing to make yourself reachable in the event that you need to be called up for whatever purpose the chain of command deems necessary and appropriate- effing quit and get a job at Home Depot. If you decide that you consider yourself worthy or serving our nation and protecting its citizens, then you can damned well make the minimal necessary effort to be reachable. It's one of the easiest things in the world to do in this modern age, and with a reasonably well compensated job like the CAF offers there's no justifiable claim otherwise. Your'e expectd to get yourself to work, too- whether ou own a car, ride the bus or hoof it is your business; but being recallable is an implicit part of military duty. Don't like it? There's the door.
On the one hand, I totally agree but I think the issue is more a question of can you be charged if you are not reachable by phone and if so what would be a reasonable definition of "reachable". If I finally decide to throw my cell in the trash and rely on my house phone do I require voicemail and call display? Remember the 80s when answering machines were rare and no one had call display? Military worked fine then. Hell I even heard it worked in the 70s.

Not only did it work in the 70's, but for those of us who lived at the wardroom, or A Block, etc. we usually did not bother getting phone service to our rooms. It was faster to get a hold of those living off base than us in an emergency (especially since we seldom stayed in during the day on week-end or at night) :) .

So a Priest, a Rabbi and a Minister walk into a bar............................

recceguy said:

Did they have cell phones?  Or pagers?  Were they on call?

I had a phone to another area code. I didn't want to switch as I still conducted a lot of work at that number, plus I  was locked into a contract. CoC demanded I get a phone with a local area code. So I just gave them the number to the pay phone at the shacks. *snicker* If they really wanted me all they had to do is knock on my door, or pay the long distance costs to call me.

Pieman said:
CoC demanded I get a phone with a local area code.

I know some of you are making jokes about this but this goes along with my expectations post earlier...............so how far does it go before the stupidity gets reigned in? 

Do any of you think THIS is a [that word again] "reasonable" request?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I know some of you are making jokes about this but this goes along with my expectations post earlier...............so how far does it go before the stupidity gets reigned in? 

Do any of you think THIS is a [that word again] "reasonable" request?

I agree with you Bruce.

Chain of command does a lot of stuff they aren't always in a position to request or do.

Sheep Dog AT said:
Does is say in writing I have to be at work at 07:30?

Capt. Ross: Corporal Barnes, I hold here the Marine Outline for Recruit Training. You're familiar with this book?
Cpl. Barnes: Yes, sir.
Capt. Ross: Have you read it?
Cpl. Barnes: Yes, sir.
Capt. Ross: Good. Would you turn to the chapter that deals with code reds, please?
Cpl. Barnes: Sir?
Capt. Ross: Just flip to the page of the book that discusses code reds.
Cpl. Barnes: Well, well, you see, sir code red is a term that we use, I mean, just down at Gitmo, I don't know if it's actually...
Capt. Ross: Ah, we're in luck then. Standard Operating Procedures, Rifle Security Company, Guantanamo Bay Cuba. Now I assume we'll find the term code red and its definition in that book. Am I correct?
Cpl. Barnes: No sir.
Capt. Ross: No? Corporal Barnes, I'm a Marine. Is there no book. No manual or pamphlet, no set of orders or regulations that lets me know that, as a Marine, one of my duties is to perform code reds?
Cpl. Barnes: No sir. No book, sir.
Capt. Ross: No further questions.
[as Ross walks back to his table Kaffee takes the book out of his hand]
Kaffee: Corporal, would you turn to the page in this book that says where the mess hall is, please.
Cpl. Barnes: Well, Lt. Kaffee, that's not in the book, sir.
Kaffee: You mean to say in all your time at Gitmo you've never had a meal?
Cpl. Barnes: No, sir. Three squares a day, sir.
Kaffee: I don't understand. How did you know where the mess hall was if it's not in this book?
Cpl. Barnes: Well, I guess I just followed the crowd at chow time, sir.
Kaffee: No more questions.

Its made quite clear to people arriving at a unit just what the hours of duty are.  Written down or not, we all know our normal hours of duty.

I had an situation similar to this a year ago when my wife and I went on a cruise.  For the leave pass I had to leave my contact info so I provided the ship name, the port of departure, ports we were visiting and even my cabin number.  The leave pass bounced back because there was no phone number on it so I resubmitted it with the ships 1-800 number and directions how they dial that number, enter a credit card number and pick the ship they want to call.  This came back because the OR and my CO stated they had no credit card that could be used in such a way.  Without suitable contact info they were not going to authorize the leave pass so I gave them my email address and told them if there was an issue to just email me.  Of course, I had no intention of paying the $100 for 25 minutes of internet time onboard nor did I have any intention of checking my email while on vacation.  Got the leave pass signed, went on the trip and when I got home I had no emails waiting for me. 

recceguy said:
....and the bartender says "What is this? A f*cking joke?"

Schindler's Lift said:
...........  Got the leave pass signed, went on the trip and when I got home I had no emails waiting for me.

Lucky you.

What would have happened if there were an email or more?

Schindler's Lift said:
I had an situation similar to this a year ago when my wife and I went on a cruise.  For the leave pass I had to leave my contact info so I provided the ship name, the port of departure, ports we were visiting and even my cabin number.  The leave pass bounced back because there was no phone number on it so I resubmitted it with the ships 1-800 number and directions how they dial that number, enter a credit card number and pick the ship they want to call.  This came back because the OR and my CO stated they had no credit card that could be used in such a way.  Without suitable contact info they were not going to authorize the leave pass so I gave them my email address and told them if there was an issue to just email me.  Of course, I had no intention of paying the $100 for 25 minutes of internet time onboard nor did I have any intention of checking my email while on vacation.  Got the leave pass signed, went on the trip and when I got home I had no emails waiting for me.

Wait, what, there's still places in this world with no phone comms? Who knew?  :facepalm:

George Wallace said:
Lucky you.

What would have happened if there were an email or more?

Then he would have missed an email. Not the end of the world.  Unless he is the lynchpin of the entire CAF I think his CoC was absolutely retarded pressing the issue as they did.

I frequently go fishing including fly in fishing with zero comms.  I neither provide a number nor do I care if there is a IRU call out (My unit has a permanent IRU task).  My CoC isn't petty and realizes sometimes they just ain't gonna reach you.  We just ensure that IRU is covered and let people go enjoy their lives away from work.  Magically the CAF doesn't collapse under all that anarchy nor will it. 

Back