• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ORCA Class training vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torlyn

Inactive
Reaction score
Just an FYI, looks like the Orca - Class training vessels will be arriving on time.  (There were rumours that they were going to be late...)  By the looks of it, October 2006 we'll begin to train on them.  I'm not sure of the phase out plan for the YAGs, but I believe that they'll be going out as we receive the Orcas.  On another note, we'll be increasing the number from 6 to 8, which sort of ties in with the increase in training that would be required for filling the new positions the government wishes to create. 

T

Six ORCAs wouldn't suffice.  There are currently seven YAGs (actually six YAGs and YDT 10), and even so there are times when all hulls are being used in the peak summer training period.

But I don't believe the additional two are a sure thing yet.

On the Cadet World site there is a picture of an Orca sitting outdoors just afterit has been painted.  www.cadet-world.com

I will try to attach the photo

Sorry can't figure out how to do it.  If anyone wants to give me any tips then I can try again.

Torlyn, where are you getting your information from?  Is it based on what the school is telling you about your training for the year?  As well as the info about the additional two.  Just wondering if any of that is in print and formal yet, or just stronger RUMINT.

Newfin, where in your link is the picture at?  Although, anyone from CFB Esquimalt will already have seen one....she's looking really sharp.

http://www.cdnmilitary.ca/articles/orcaTrainingVessel.htm

There is a pic of it in the middle of the article

navymich said:
Torlyn, where are you getting your information from?  Is it based on what the school is telling you about your training for the year?  As well as the info about the additional two.  Just wondering if any of that is in print and formal yet, or just stronger RUMINT.

Newfin, where in your link is the picture at?  Although, anyone from CFB Esquimalt will already have seen one....she's looking really sharp.

The delivery date came from a message given on parade by our CO.  After that, I haven't heard much about it since.  If I hear more, I'll post.  And yeah, I've seen them out of the water at Vic Ships (over by the CFSA) and they do look quite sharp.  Mind you, given that I'm on SLT, spending time on a YAG would be sharp right now...  :)

T

Does anyone have any other photos or know of where I can view some.  These are the first new vessels for the Navy in a long time and they are important ones.  I can't wait to see them in the water!  One of the posters on the Cadet World forum mentioned that she had taken pictures of the interior.  Also, does anyone know how many are being constructed right now?  What about naming them?  Will they be given numbers or have a "class" name associated with them?

They are going to look like baby MCDV's in the water really with no guns and alittle faster.  I'm more curious as to who will man these things.  They are going to be a little more of a handful machinery wise than the old YAGs from the looks of it.  Do we think any of them will make it out east??

:cdn:

newfin, google is your friend.  Here are just a few links that came up when I entered "Orca Class":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orca_class_training_vessel
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=1509
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20041108/navy_newvessels_20041108?s_name=&no_ads=

I also know that there is more about them on these boards too.

Navymich - those sites you show do not offer much in terms of new info.  I have visited them all a hundred times.  For real up-to-the-minute kind of info I am looking for army.ca is the only place.  Re-reading the press release from DND from Nove 2004 is of little value now.  I was hoping that some of the Navy service people had taken more photos of the vessel as it sits outdoors at Vicships.

newfin said:
Navymich - those sites you show do not offer much in terms of new info.  I have visited them all a hundred times.  For real up-to-the-minute kind of info I am looking for army.ca is the only place.  Re-reading the press release from DND from Nove 2004 is of little value now.  I was hoping that some of the Navy service people had taken more photos of the vessel as it sits outdoors at Vicships.

Newfin, those are only a selection of sites out there.  Have you searched for more?  I know I have seen more around, with greater detail including naming and such, so I'm sure they are out there.  I'm not going to do your legwork for you, as I don't know anymore then what I have seen or heard...RUMINT 1st class on most of it.  On that note, I am sure there are others around the board here to help out with more information as well, but if it isn't on the web or DIN, then it is all going to be heresay too. 

As for pictures, you will have to go with what is on the net for now.  I can see the new ship from where I work, but I'm certainly not going to be taking any pictures of her, and especially not going to be posting them. That, to me, is a security violation.  You said you had heard of someone taking pictures of her, by all means then, track that person down and ask them.

navymich said:
As for pictures, you will have to go with what is on the net for now.  I can see the new ship from where I work, but I'm certainly not going to be taking any pictures of her, and especially not going to be posting them. That, to me, is a security violation.  You said you had heard of someone taking pictures of her, by all means then, track that person down and ask them.
Security violation?  Aren't you going a bit overboard.  They don't even belong to the Navy yet, and what could they possibly have on them that could be considered classified?

Gino said:
Security violation?  Aren't you going a bit overboard.  They don't even belong to the Navy yet, and what could they possibly have on them that could be considered classified?

Actually I'd prefer NOT to go overboard.  I said that to me it was a violation.  I'm not taking the chance thank you very much.

Gino said:

Geez do you post anything that isn't confrontational with everything else people post???

Whats the photo policy on the base in Esquimalt ?

Here , photography on base is prohibited unless specificaly authorized by the Wing Commander.  If its the same in Esquimalt ( i have no idea if it is), then taking pictures of the Orca from the military docks would be prohibited.

I would think that there would be Security issues.  What is the floor plan of the decks?  What equipment is being installed and where?  How thick is the hull?  Is it a double hull?  What type of welding is being done?  Is the superstructure of the same metals as the hull?  Any unusual features?  Numerous questions about the construction of a Naval vessel can be asked.  Pictures of its' construction are even better intelligence.

You ask yourself these questions and tell me if there is or is not a Security Concern?

So is he always right or just thinks he is?

Its a training vessel, I highly doubt the employees at the shipyard building this thing are cleared to anything beyond enhanced.  The comm fellas may have some sort of clearance, that being said I have no idea what kind of comms will be installed on these vessels.

If they are go out for any length of time they would need something.  Perhaps I could get a posting to one as a NAVCOMM if my AESOP OT gets denied.............  (j/k I am aware that there are no 00299's on the yags)

I can see that taking a picture of a Navy vessel could be seen a risk to the security of the vessel and crew  but I think in this case (and in all other cases, I can't think of any exceptions) there really is no greater risk to the future security of this class of vessels as there is to any other current class in the fleet.  I have pictures that I have taken personally of HMCS Terra Nova (after duty in Gulf War I, on Georgian Bay doing a post War tour of the Great Lakes) and of HMCS Toronto several years ago as she was in St. Catharines about to enter the Welland Canal on the way to ports in Lake Erie).  There are also very detailed pictures on the DND site.  There is nothing wrong with members of the public taking pictures of ships in the Navy.  The Navy needs to be out in the public (I wish there was another ship nearby this summer so I could take my kids) being seen by the public.  I wish we could see more of all branches of the military out in front of the public more often.  I was in Gander last year and saw the Cormorant flying for the first time.  Took pictures.

I just wanted to be able to see more pictures of the Orca's since they are the first new ships to come along in a long time.  I can't wait to see video of them in the water.  It's hard to believe that in a country as rich as ours that we can keep training ships for 50 years.  Look at how little it has cost to buy these new ships.  Approximately $11 million each. 
If anyone does not feel comfortable posting photos then they shouldn't.  Not worth having to explain yourself to your commanding officer. The less time spent in the bosses office having to justify ones actions the better.

...and as many say on this forum....my 2 cents worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back