• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Harmonized Tax

It was actually at Cinnabon that we noticed the slight difference in the application of a 15% tax (from GST & PST to HST).

George:  Since PST and GST were calculated individually, it may be that each came to some fraction of a cent that would have been rounded down, but together are rounded up - so, for example, GST was 10.3 cents and PST was 16.48 cents - or 26 cents, total, each one rounded down.  Now, the combined tax is 26.78 cents - rounded to 27 cents.

Petamocto:  Only QST is a tax on a tax - other provincial taxes are calcualted on the base price, not price plus GST (part of being a distinct society, I guess).

And re: The Dalton cheques: In buying back my pension last year, CRA obliged me to cash out some RRSPs.  That extra "incomeIfor the year pushed our houehold income for the year over the limit, so we don`t even get that.

George Wallace said:
Well.  The first weekend of the HST has been in effect in Ontario.  Has anyone else noticed that we ARE paying more?  We have noticed that things that were covered by both the PST and GST and now covered by the HST are NOT being taxed the same.  We noticed it on a small item that we buy quite regularly, and now with the HST is taxed one cent more.  We are trying to figure out why the same percentage of taxes, is now one percent more in the actual tax.  Could it be that before, with the two taxes (PST and GST) things were rounded down, and now with the HST things are rounded up?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this "little" change?

One cent collected from several millions does eventually add up.

Gas spiked over night (tho with gas, not a fair indicator as it spikes every time an owner sneezes around here). The telling part will be the end of this month when all bills are accounted for. I am expecting all my utilities to go up, but that is not what concerns me... If the price of gas/diesel stays up, then the price of ALL staples will go up to cover the increased expense of delivery.

My golf game went up $8.00 and my gas went up.

I will be doing both in the States from now on. Actually got my Canada Day beer there also. Cost me for two cases what one would cost in this communist gulag.

Fuck McSquinty, Bantario and our capital Moronto.

Got my cheque today, $100 isn't going to cover it. Gas is an average of $1.03/L here now and all my bills have skyrocketed to epic proportions.

I am fortunate enough to live very close to Quebec (less than 5 minutes) and will be boycotting Ontario with my family and friends until this ridiculous tax is lifted.

Also, good job Dalton. As a first time voter I wont be voting Liberal for as long as I live.

HavokFour said:
Got my cheque today, $100 isn't going to cover it. Gas is an average of $1.03/L here now and all my bills have skyrocketed to epic proportions.

I am fortunate enough to live very close to Quebec (less than 5 minutes) and will be boycotting Ontario with my family and friends until this ridiculous tax is lifted.

Also, good job Dalton. As a first time voter I wont be voting Liberal for as long as I live.

;D

Remember this next election.  The majority of Ontarians will have forgotten.  Dalton is good at offering these little carrots/sweets to lull the populace into submission.  Give them $100 and then syphon $1000 out of their pockets.

I have a little bit of faith in the people of Ontario, this will be hard to forget.

In other news: Place d'Orleans and the Wal-Mart have been deserted, or near deserted all month. Loads of stores have also disappeared from Sparks Street.

Strange times we're living in.

HavokFour said:
As a first time voter I wont be voting Liberal for as long as I live.

Careful with that -- you may end up running out of parties to vote for!

One of the best comments I've ever heard about partisan politics came from a naval officer who is now long retired (and, I assume, dead).  He said that he had only ever voted twice: once to dismiss the liberals from office because he felt that they were ruining the country, and four years later to dismiss the conservatives from office for the same reason.

Back