• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Only one BOTP for reservists?

Don_Rigs

Inactive
Reaction score
I just got back in and have hit a glitch. I need to do my officer part of basic (I believe it's BOTP, bear with me, I am just getting used to throwing around the alphabet). The problem is they only offer it once, in about two weeks. I can't go as I don't have child care set up yet for my three year old. Now I have to sit and wait for a year for it to come around again?

Why do they only offer this once?

Depending on where you live there may be other options available, in my unit we ran into the same problem with 3 people.  so we sent them on a BMQ course with the Ptes. It covers the same stuff anyways, then in may we are gathering up all the OCdt and 2Lts in the Brigade and holding a week of training in Kenora that focuses on Small party tasking to bring them up to the BOTP standard. then they are off for CAP

I am currently doing a BMQ and will be doing BOTPII to cover the materials needed to prepare for CAP which I am doing this summer.  There are three other officers on my course.  I also know of three other officers who also did a BMQ finishing December 05 who will also be doing BOTPII prior to this summer's cap. 

I suspect it is a function of low numbers and $.

Yes it is true that it is more cost effective for units to send Officers on locally run BMQ, rather than spend the $1500 or so for flights out to Gagetown for the BOTP.  But I have heard some complaints about these mixed BMQs.  As an officer the staff expect more from you and you are often filling the role of course or section senior.  But as we all know BMQ is designed to get people to work together as a team.  What are you supposed to do??? Display leadership ability and get shit on for being an individual, or be a team player and get accused of not displaying leadership qualities(which my buddy got on 2 consecutive weeklies).  Any Thoughts??

Our course Officer told us at the beginning that we were to be treated like everyone else on course with the exception that staff and students would use the proper salutations (ie: Sir/Ma'am, Mr/Ms).  We were not to be saluted (otherwise we would have spent all day returning salutes). 

BMQ is NOT a leadership course but --as can be expected -- we do frequently end up as the *unofficial* section seniors but I have no concerns about being accused of not demonstrating leadership because of the nature of the course.  Nor do I think the staff necessarily have higher expectations of us.  To be fair, of the 4 officers on my course, 3 of us are *more mature* and have families of our own and 2 have previous service experience so sometimes the leadership roles gravitate to us by dint of our advanced age (?!) or experience. 

While I feel I have been given an opportunity that many officers don't have (ie. experiencing NCM training), I don't think it is necessarily the best system.  That being said, it is only a BMQ.  I would have greater reservations if I were missing out entirely on the leadership component (although I have concerns about whether BOTPII can file the gap left by doing a BMQ) or if the Privates were doing Soldier's Qualifications.  I don't think there would be much room for an Officer to participate in SQ courses without detracting from the private's training.

Just my (limited in experience) .02.

Back